NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Dallas wins series 4-3)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1)  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Stars sweep in 4
    • Stars in 5
    • Stars in 6
    • Stars in 7*
    • Kracken sweep in 4
    • Kracken in 5
    • Kracken in 6
    • Kracken in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Game 1: Kracken 5 Stars 4 (OT)

Game 2: Stars 4 Kracken 2

Game 3: Kracken 7 Stars 2

Game 4: Stars 6 Kracken 3

Game 5: Stars 5 Kracken 2

Game 6: Kracken 6 Stars 3

Game 7: Stars 2 Kracken 1

All discussion here

Edited by pilldoc
  • Good Post 1

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1)
  • pilldoc unpinned this topic
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1)

Well my vote is Dallas in 6.  My heart is with Seattle.  I am cheering for Seattle. So Hope I a wrong..  I just feel that Dallas has too much offense.  Now Seattle will need Jalen Swartz to show up big time. Grabaur is very good.  But I have stated Dallas is my 2nd choice in the West behind Vegas.

• Like 1

Goalies: :stars:

Defense: :stars:

Offense: :stars:

Special teams (PP/PK): :stars:

Coaching: :stars:

Mental: :nhl:

Experience: :stars:

Robustness: :nhl:

Depth: :stars:

That seems unbalanced but the Kraken can count on four solid lines while the Stars are mostly relying on their top-6, and we've seen the result of such a match-up... The Kraken has nothing to lose. However, Special teams is Seattle's big achilles heel and Öttinger was stellar for the Stars. Missing McCann is huge loss for Seattle and the Stars could see the return of Pavelski. I'll go with a not-so-objective Stars in 6.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So who’s your pick here?

Kracken are a nice story….however Dallas is a good hockey team.

Seattle might steal a game or two.

Dallas in 6

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Math said:

Goalies: :stars:

Defense: :stars:

Offense: :stars:

Special teams (PP/PK): :stars:

Coaching: :stars:

Mental: :nhl:

Experience: :stars:

Robustness: :nhl:

Depth: :stars:

That seems unbalanced but the Kraken can count on four solid lines while the Stars are mostly relying on their top-6, and we've seen the result of such a match-up... The Kraken has nothing to lose. However, Special teams is Seattle's big achilles heel and Öttinger was stellar for the Stars. Missing McCann is huge loss for Seattle and the Stars could see the return of Pavelski. I'll go with a not-so-objective Stars in 6.

Can't argue with your ratings I say Dallas sweeps here...I'm shocked Seattle even made the playoffs and blown away that they even beat Colorado...

• Like 1

Dallas will face in the Kraken, a team pretty similar to the one they faced in the Minnesota Wild....that is to say, a team that plays, to a man, like a complete unit.
Even strength, special teams, goaltending, speed game, grinding game....Seattle, like Minnesota, doesn't do anything spectacularly well, but they do everything well enough to give a lesser working team fits, and even beat them, as they did against the Avalanche.

Now, the one thing Seattle likely does better than Minnesota is score goals, so Dallas will have to be on the lookout for those 'almost chances' the Wild had that can turn into "get those goals" the Kraken can turn those into.

A bit more tightening up of the Stars defense should do just fine against Seattle, and if the Kraken insist on taking penalties, the Stars can then use their lethal PP to do away with them.

This series can be real short if the Dallas PP is allowed to take control, but I don't think Seattle lets things get to that level of ridiculous.
But still, I think the Stars continue to do what they do, make the proper adjustments, and despite the good fight from Seattle, still manage to turn home ice into an advantage and take the series.

Stars in 7.

3 minutes ago, Icechipper said:

Kraken better shorthanded than Wild were.

As shown in the last round, sure looks that way.
I think the Wild PK isn't terrible, but was simply eviscerated by the Dallas PP in the first round and MADE to look worse than what they are.

That said, since this is the playoffs, not the regular season, and the Kraken have done a better job in the playoffs than they had during the regular season in that department, it is fair to say that, so far, yes, the Kraken have shown themselves to be better than MN shorthanded.

But if Dallas continues their insanity with the man advantage, Seattle can look equally inept.

Colorado was beat up and had really no secondary scoring at all, and Georgiev was merely average. I thought the Avs would win this series in 6, and taking into account how well the Kraken played them during the season..I gave them two wins. I never expected this. Injuries are what they are and everyone goes through them...and the Avs had a few of them. The Avs got absolutely NO secondary scoring in this series. No excuses though, the Kraken outplayed them, and Grubauer was very good. Can Seattle do it again? Sure, but they'll have to do it against a much better goalie than Georgiev, in Oettinger. Plus, the Stars power play is pretty lethal right now. The last I looked their cooking at 37.5%..which is much better than what the Avs threw at the Kraken. 

Stars in 6.

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs Western Conference RD 2: Dallas (C2) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Seattle leads series 1-0)

Updated Schedule:

Game 1: Kraken 5, Stars 4 (OT)

Thursday, May 4: Seattle at Dallas, 9:30, TNT

Sunday, May 7: Dallas at Seattle, 9:30, TBS

Tuesday, May 9: Dallas at Seattle, 9:30, ESPN

*Thursday, May 11: Seattle at Dallas, TBD, TNT

*Saturday, May 13: Dallas at Seattle, TBD, ESPN

*Monday, May 15: Seattle at Dallas, TBD, ESPN

Joe Pavelski has proven he isn't finished yet with his career. He can still score goals. If Eric Staal and the Florida Panthers don't win the Stanley Cup this year, I hope Joe Pavelski and the Dallas Stars win it.

4 hours ago, Villella McMeans said:

Well...there goes the sweep...🤣

The Royal Gentleman Sweep is still eligible lol. 

Well, that Kraken team is gonna be a pain the arse. Despite the loss, that game rocked. Maybe the Stars thought (unconsciously) it was going to be okay after Pavelski's second goal, but from that point it was all Kraken for the first two period. They play a simple game made out of speed, hi-tempo offense and they won almost every battle on the boards while applying a strong forecheck that completely brutalized the Stars. Fortunately, DeBoer serve Seattle the same medecine starting the third and an OT dominated by the Stars. And like it's often the case in overtime, they allowed a bit of a strange goal coming from a turnover. That was quite the same scenario as the game #1 vs. the Wild.

Nothing to do for Öttinger in the four goals allowed in the first period, these were all perfect shots. I list this as an encouraging loss as the Kraken deserved the win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Math said:

The Royal Gentleman Sweep is still eligible lol. 

Well, that Kraken team is gonna be a pain the arse. Despite the loss, that game rocked. Maybe the Stars thought (unconsciously) it was going to be okay after Pavelski's second goal, but from that point it was all Kraken for the first two period. They play a simple game made out of speed, hi-tempo offense and they won almost every battle on the boards while applying a strong forecheck that completely brutalized the Stars. Fortunately, DeBoer serve Seattle the same medecine starting the third and an OT dominated by the Stars. And like it's often the case in overtime, they allowed a bit of a strange goal coming from a turnover. That was quite the same scenario as the game #1 vs. the Wild.

Nothing to do for Öttinger in the four goals allowed in the first period, these were all perfect shots. I list this as an encouraging loss as the Kraken deserved the win.

Haha yeah the gentlemans sweep then...and yeah I thought Pavelski would get his 5th goal in overtime the day things were going Dallas had all the momentum and carried most of the play in overtime...also agree Ottinger was faced with perfect shots especially in overtime that Gourde goal just went into the one spot above his shoulder Ottinger covered most of the net except that one spot...similar to the Gaudreau overtime goal too last year just perfect shots...