Game 21: Philadelphia Flyers at New York Islanders; 11/25/23 @ 7:30 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

We are mild underdogs (+125).  As noted by this bookie, this is a game between two teams that may have tired lets and challenged offenses:

https://pickdawgz.com/nhl-picks/2023-11-25/flyers-vs-islanders-prediction-nhl-picks-11-25-23

We may be coming back to earth after a five-game win streak.  Our offense is challenged and the PP is incompetent.  The Isles throttle us.  One thing is clear--we can't win without scoring first.

15 hours ago, Howie58 said:

One thing is clear--we can't win without scoring first.

Nearing 20 games without a single come-from-behind win. Like you said the incompetence on the PP is a big reason why. If the Flyers cash in even once on their 6 PPs maybe it’s a different game. 

I’m not sure Foerster is ready for playing the crease on the PP. Watching him yesterday he seemed to think his size was enough to get the job done. He has to move to accommodate the shooter not the other way around. But that’s only a blip on a miserable effort by both units, even if there are glimpses of an effective attack.

Hopefully they draw Varlamov tonight and not the brick wall a.k.a. Sorokin.

• Like 1

Play has the look and feel of the Hakstol Era with better goaltending.  Lots of shots and few goals. The PP is inept. We don't have a Panerin or Zibenejad. And if we fall behind, forget about it. There is effort. But effort goes so far. I think .500 is the ceiling. 

Edited by Howie58

For me the games, all but a few, have been a lot of fun to watch for one reason or another. A game like yesterday hasn’t happened very often where the Flyers are blowing assignments right and left, handing over the puck in their own zone. Sanheim puts it on Kreiders’s stick at the top of the crease and afterwards blames Deslauriers. Deslauriers should’ve stayed with Kreider but Sanheim never should’ve made that pass. Just a bad day at the rink for the Flyers all around.

Sad to say the only thing that looked normal yesterday was the lousy PP.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm just ready for a trade or something bored out my gawddamn mind with this team...

8781yp.thumb.jpg.a8af430950fe2bba25b4fe76fa420b7b.jpg

Risto is back so lengthy losing streak confirmed plus you will be able to vent as you critique his play. 😄

• Haha 2

That result was just.

I think the Flyers out played the Islanders for about 95 of the 125 minutes they played this week.

The Rangers game was a little different story,  the Flyers competed well vs them too, but that team has some assassins so to beat them the Flyers need to be air-tight perfect.  

Real nice shot by Ol' Foerster at the end there, to get a puck past Sorokin has been a mighty task for the Flyers. 

I hope Tyson  can build off of that goal. I like what I've been seeing from him.

Wow what a game...the goalies were incredible. Ersson has to be 1st star.

So nice to see Foerster win it in the shootout - hits, shots, defense - his best game.

The PP actually looked real good. Sorokin is the only reason the Flyers didn't score on the PP tonight. If they keep attacking the net like that the PP will start cashing in I'm sure.

Ristolainen played fine...no turnovers, couple good defensive plays breaking up possession behind Ersson.

The Flyers have to get better at the dots. Too many opportunities - esp late in the game offensive zone draws - they get nothing.

Heck of a game if you enjoy 0-0 goalie duels. I sure do and this was a good one!

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1