Game 65: Philadelphia Flyers at Tampa Bay Lightning; 3/9/24 @ 7PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

We enter as mild underdogs (+125):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/philadelphia-tampa-bay-odds-march-9-2024-2021843

Perhaps more importantly, we are 3-13 against them over the last 16; 4-14 out of the last 18 at Amalie.  It's fair to say they have our number in recent years.  

This is an unusual matchup between the best PP and the best PK (and worst PP):

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-tbl/2024/03/09/2023021016

We've split the first two with identical 6-2 scores.  That tells me we play a tight, "Flyers Hockey" game or we get steamrollered.  This rubber match will be interesting, and I suspect we'll have a lineup similar to our win against the Panthers.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I suspect we'll have a lineup similar to our win against the Panthers.

Yes and it would be a real boost to the team's psyche if they could take both in Florida. I don't remember the last time that happened - if ever. TB has had the Flyers' number forever it seems but the Flyers are playing real good hockey these days. Whatever happens at the TD today...I expect the Flyers will bring the same effort/energy they had in Sunrise.

Good to see Center Ice will have the Flyers' feed available this time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes and it would be a real boost to the team's psyche if they could take both in Florida. I don't remember the last time that happened - if ever. TB has had the Flyers' number forever it seems but the Flyers are playing real good hockey these days. Whatever happens at the TD today...I expect the Flyers will bring the same effort/energy they had in Sunrise.

Good to see Center Ice will have the Flyers' feed available this time.

I was thinking this AM that an unsung hero of last night is Ian Lapierriere. He and his staff are instilling some good habits.  He was a tough fu...k.  His coaching offspring are showing some of his grit.  That is great for both squads.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Ian Lapierriere....was a tough fu...k.

without a doubt. not bad for a 7R pick.

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I was thinking this AM that an unsung hero of last night is Ian Lapierriere. He and his staff are instilling some good habits. 

Good point! He's gotta be doing something right. Of the callups this year none have looked out of place, lost or overwhelmed. Tortorella said recently he and Lappy rarely talk since they're both so busy with their own teams. But the pipeline seems to be working pretty well between the clubs.

56 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

without a doubt. not bad for a 7R pick.

Good point! He's gotta be doing something right. Of the callups this year none have looked out of place, lost or overwhelmed. Tortorella said recently he and Lappy rarely talk since they're both so busy with their own teams. But the pipeline seems to be working pretty well between the clubs.

Torts system is easier too.

He even said so, easier to play man than zone...easier to know who you need to cover than getting to "your zone" and i guess it makes since too.

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

That tells me we play a tight, "Flyers Hockey" game or we get steamrollered.

TB just added another steamroller to their lineup. Anthony Duclair is now a Bolt and he is one speedy mother...

I always liked him he always impressed me as a slippery, creative winger. If he was 24 instead of 28 I would've liked to see him with the Flyers I think his speed would work well with any of the lines.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

TB just added another steamroller to their lineup. Anthony Duclair is now a Bolt and he is one speedy mother...

I always liked him he always impressed me as a slippery, creative winger. If he was 24 instead of 28 I would've liked to see him with the Flyers I think his speed would work well with any of the lines.

So glad we have older guys to block Brink and Attard the Cup is ours!!!

:DancingGrape:

@OccamsRazor

I'm intrigued by the Gurianov trade.

He's still pretty young,  he's big and fast and has a good hard shot. He's only 26, whether or not he'll buy into to Fonzie's program who knows.

Maybe he and Allison are truly "change of scenery" players.

This feels like a nibbling around the edges deal that could wind up being an okay hockey trade. If both players wake up to the reality of their situations 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

well this sucks...

sucks indeed...

Plus one is brand new, another is just getting used to the NHL and another is Staal ... against TB who can light up even good defenses.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Ersson is not looking good esp the 3rd goal...softest one I've seen all year from him I think. 1st one wasn't good either.

Flyers are getting thoroughly outplayed so far. 3-0 halfway thru the 1st..

now another b.s. penalty - first one - holding in the scrum at the net - was imaginary. This one TB just stumbles on his own. The Bolts don't need any help.

edit: What the hell? A TEN for THAT??? You gotta be fkng kidding me

edit: Ersson gets the hook...

more penalties...Tortorella bench minor - thrown out of the game...unreal.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:
goddamn i just got up to help the wife bring in the groceries and i come back and it's 2-0

holy **** this team is cursed...

Dang-It! 4-0  how many trips out to the car are you gonna take? :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 4

Morganti said TB would be angry. Errson was not at the top of his game. A new 35 year old defender. And only five D men. OK, ingredients forward disaster.

I rarely complain about the officiating but this has been pretty awful so far.

Nobody holding anybody just a normal scrum outside the crease.

The tripping call was ridiculous the TB player stumbled and fell on his own.

but the worst - unless I missed something - Hathaway taps somebody on the shoulder and he gets a TEN misconduct? You have to see it to believe it.

edit: still no excuse for the Flyers 3 steps behind every play...or for Ersson's case of temporary blindness...

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1
  • Uggh... 1