EAST Playoffs '23-'24 Round 1: (A3) Toronto Maple Leafs at (A2) Boston Bruins (BOS Wins 4-3)

Maples Leafs at Bruins  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Toronto Resumes Being a Punchline? Bruins Fail Again? Which is it?

• Maple Leafs in 4.... TOR isn't messing around. NEEEEEEXT!
    • Maple Leafs in 5... BOS steals a game, but TOR proves to be too much especially with goal scoring
    • Maple Leafs in 6... Bruins make things interesting, but not interesting enough, as TOR takes it skating away
    • Maple Leafs in 7... Some Leaf fans scream sky is falling, but then say, "I knew it all along" as TOR goes the distance...and wins!
    • Bruins in 4.... LOL Leafs......
    • Bruins in 5.... Still.... LOL Leafs.....
    • Bruins in 6.... Hold on now! Leafs showing life, but....errr, nah....LOL
    • Bruins in 7.... Best showing in many years for Toronto...never mind that they STILL lose (LOL!!). The Bruins quest for Cup glory moves on!

Wow.

Edwards has long been one of the most biased announcers in any sport.

That performance Tuesday set a new low.

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only person thinking his retirement won't come a second too soon.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Jack Edwards last game tonight. Good luck to whatever he does in the future.

I wonder who will take over announcing?

I had a family wedding on Saturday and missed the game live. When I got home I found my tivo had recorded the Canadian broadcast (live near the border) instead of NESN. As much as I have found Jack's broadcasts hard to listen to lately, listening to other broadcasters call the game is like listening to paint dry. Jack has always brought an enthusiasm to the game that no one has ever been able to match. He will be hard to replace

34 minutes ago, mommax3 said:

I had a family wedding on Saturday and missed the game live. When I got home I found my tivo had recorded the Canadian broadcast (live near the border) instead of NESN. As much as I have found Jack's broadcasts hard to listen to lately, listening to other broadcasters call the game is like listening to paint dry. Jack has always brought an enthusiasm to the game that no one has ever been able to match. He will be hard to replace

LOL...if by "enthusiasm" you mean unabashed fabricated homerism, then sure!

Look, I get it....the Lightning have a radio announcer, Dave Mishkin, who yells into the mic, seemingly for no reason at times, is a complete and utter homer to the point where he sounds like someone let a teenage Bolts fan off the street into the booth, and is basically unbearable to ANYONE except the pure Lightning fan base, and even then, some of us find him a bit much.

Jack Edwards, probably by design, would appeal ONLY to the Boston Bruins fans, and like the Bolts with Mishkin, I am sure there is a sect of those diehards who think Edwards should have been done long ago, or at the very least, mature up his playcalling style.

Hard to replace?
Meh...all depends on the listener.
Just like the eyes, it is all in the ears of the beholder.

But Pittsburgh not that long ago moved their super homer guy, Paul Steigerwald (Steggy....ugh..) away from the broadcast booth and the Pens' games, on the home feed, are INFINITELY more professional, interesting, even to a non fan such as myself.

I suspect the same will happen in with the NESN broadcast.
Some people will miss the super homerism of Jack Edwards, his fairytale like way of analyzing what is going on in games...but I think, unless the Bruins get a complete dope to replace him, their broadcasts should improve with a more professional air....though I DO understand that the 'home announcers' are always, and should sound like, they prop the teams that employ them more...no getting around that.

42 minutes ago, mommax3 said:

I agree - hard to listen to these days due to whatever is going on with him, but I love his enthusiasm. I love how he gives the refs such a hard time, LOL!

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

LOL...if by "enthusiasm" you mean unabashed fabricated homerism, then sure!

Look, I get it....the Lightning have a radio announcer, Dave Mishkin, who yells into the mic, seemingly for no reason at times, is a complete and utter homer to the point where he sounds like someone let a teenage Bolts fan off the street into the booth, and is basically unbearable to ANYONE except the pure Lightning fan base, and even then, some of us find him a bit much.

Jack Edwards, probably by design, would appeal ONLY to the Boston Bruins fans, and like the Bolts with Mishkin, I am sure there is a sect of those diehards who think Edwards should have been done long ago, or at the very least, mature up his playcalling style.

Hard to replace?
Meh...all depends on the listener.
Just like the eyes, it is all in the ears of the beholder.

But Pittsburgh not that long ago moved their super homer guy, Paul Steigerwald (Steggy....ugh..) away from the broadcast booth and the Pens' games, on the home feed, are INFINITELY more professional, interesting, even to a non fan such as myself.

I suspect the same will happen in with the NESN broadcast.
Some people will miss the super homerism of Jack Edwards, his fairytale like way of analyzing what is going on in games...but I think, unless the Bruins get a complete dope to replace him, their broadcasts should improve with a more professional air....though I DO understand that the 'home announcers' are always, and should sound like, they prop the teams that employ them more...no getting around that.

They are all homers. At least he doesn't try to pretend not to be. But yeah, he's VERY homeritic! 

Posted (edited)

Wasn't able to watch the first period start to finish, but based on the recap, some heavy, heavy hitting going on....not sure who that would favor.
Traditionally, one would say the Bruins, but a Leafs team playing without Matthews has perhaps adopted a more grind'em style in order to stay alive and force a Game 7

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Wow...I JUST NOW realized that the Bruins only have one freakin shot on goal.....with 13 minutes left in the 2nd.
I know credit should be given to the Leafs for playing a good, tough game, but seriously...even by ACCIDENT, the Bruins should have more than one lousy shot!

Just WTF are the B's doing anyways!?

They better start peppering Wolf, Wove, Woll, or whatever his name is.
Guy comes in cold in the series and looks like the answer all along....I don't think so!

Tells me the Bruins maybe 'let up a bit' as the Leafs bear down as they should.

Even if the Bruins finally win this series, if they play that way against the Panthers, Florida will literally shred them in short order!

McAvoy just crunched David Kampf in the corner.
Looks like he got him in the head too, although, Kampf's head got real low just a second before the hit.

McAvoy's hit should have gone shoulder to shoulder (he kept his arms tucked in), but Kampf's quick head movement downward caused that thot to blast him in the noggin....and he skated off under duress.

No call on the play....and probably should NOT have been one, but will the DOPS see it otherwise? Hmmm..

I called for the Bruins to start peppering Wolf....and they sure have! 
However, the Toronto netminder is up to the task.
Not bad for a guy who had been mostly asleep in net waiting for a shot on goal.

Bruins are just gonna have to keep at it, and hopefully catch Wove dozing off...

And now the Boston pressure looks like it paid off.
They draw a Leaf penalty, and that can only mean that Woe should see more shots during this PK than he had seen previously.

We will see if Woo is sharp...he was the one called for the penalty too.

Posted (edited)

Unbelievable. Egregious non-call on Toronto and they score seconds later when Bruins should have had a power play. Nielander was the guilty party and he's the one that scored. He should have been in the sin bin. 

The Leaf grab the Bruins arm, bent it behind his back, and slammed him into the boards! No call. F***ing refs really piss me off.

Edited by RBGordie

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RBGordie said:

Unbelievable. Egregious non-call on Toronto and they score seconds later when Bruins should have had a power play.

The Leaf grab the Bruins arm, bent it behind his back, and slammed him into the boards! No call. F***ing refs really piss me off.

Edwards: " No call on that? Just how much money is being paid to the official to NOT call that? COWARDS!" :ph34r:  :bigteeth: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Edwards: " No call on that? Just how much money is being paid to the official to NOT call that? COWARDS!" :ph34r:  :bigteeth: 

How did I miss that? I didn't hear him say that. I like Edwards attitude toward the refs, LOL!

Two of us were surprised Edwards didn't say anything. Did you make that up, LOL! It's something he would say, but we sure didn't hear it.

Edited by RBGordie

11 minutes ago, RBGordie said:

How did I miss that? I didn't hear him say that. I like Edwards attitude toward the refs, LOL!

Two of us were surprised Edwards didn't say anything. Did you make that up, LOL! It's something he would say, but we sure didn't hear it.

Because you are relatively new here, you probably don't quite get it yet, but, see that black ninja face at the end of my post?
That is our universal sign of being facetious.
Means I DIDN'T quote Jack Edwards, but I "kinda did"....ya get the drift? :shifty: 

You'll see that black ninja symbol used  ALOT on this site when someone is posting in a non serious and/or sarcastic way.

6 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

even had Wull down and out

Woll.  You may call him Woll.  Or God, heathen. 🥷 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Hey, hey, now...
I was forced to give up my Leaves patent a year ago when Toronto beat Tampa Bay.
I need a new thing to poketh funneth at the Leafless.... Will is my guy now. :bigteeth: 

16 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

All in all..it's looking like another win for The Woll. As I type this, ol' Willie Nylander scores. Looks like a Game 7. Good for Toronto.