More Trouble for Players on Russian Passports

Greetings:

I saw this piece earlier today:

Potential Russia Passport Ban Affects Flyers Players, Prospects (phillyhockeynow.com)

The Russians are curtailing consular activity and forcing Russian nationals to return home for passport/visa issues.  As noted here, this may impact Zamula, Michkov, and maybe even Fedotov.

On a broader note, I think it makes the acquisition of Russian players via draft or trade even more problematic.  You'd hope that after the Fedotov experience, they realize the risks with these players.  I suspect that until the Ukraine conflict is resolved, this issue will only get worse.  

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

23 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I saw this piece earlier today:

Potential Russia Passport Ban Affects Flyers Players, Prospects (phillyhockeynow.com)

The Russians are curtailing consular activity and forcing Russian nationals to return home for passport/visa issues.  As noted here, this may impact Zamula, Michkov, and maybe even Fedotov.

On a broader note, I think it makes the acquisition of Russian players via draft or trade even more problematic.  You'd hope that after the Fedotov experience, they realize the risks with these players.  I suspect that until the Ukraine conflict is resolved, this issue will only get worse.  

As of now Russia is denying this.

Which means hold tight its coming.

What is terrible is to make the players go home and straighten this out which I'm sure isn't cheap.

Fragomen is the premier immigration legal firm in South Florida.  Here is a piece on visa action taken by EU countries against Russia.  I read this and think the Russians are saying they can play this game as well:

https://www.fragomen.com/insights/worldwiderussia-update-on-visa-suspensions-for-russian-citizens.html

The upshot to me--we really are taking on a big risk with a Russian draft pick.  The visa wars are heating up.

We're going back to the days of smuggling players out of Russia. I guarantee that's what will happen with Michkov. He's going to go conveniently "missing" in a close to border town and they're going to get him and his family out of there ASAP. I remember when Buffalo did this for Mogilny.

• Like 1