Hybrid icing

Guest OH1FlyersFan

This was discussed at the GM meeting today. I don't like it. The officiating is spotty enough without letting the linesman be the determiner of such an outcome. I just don't trust these officials to make the right call the majority of the time. Thoughts and opinions?

"The GMs are taking a hard look at introducing hybrid icing, in which a linesman would determine who would win the race for the puck when the players reach the faceoff dot. The theory is that it preserves the excitement of the race, but eliminates collisions that could cause catastrophic injury."

the problem is that hybrid icing has the linesman making an early call on the races that can be called early, but allowing the really tight races to continue until someone touches the puck. the races that have a clear winner by the faceoff dots are not the ones that cause injuries, the really close ones are.

basically, hybryid icing accomplishes nothing other than asking the officials to make another judgement call on the ice. it opens the door to a whole new world of "i totally could have caught up to that but the linesman called it early, no fair" while leaving the scarey footraces into the end boards intact.

Leave it alone. Start calling a penalty when the player nails the guy who reaches the puck first. It is a race not a demolition derby.

If the officials can't do their job then it is time for the players to enforce it. I know penalties will result but isn't that the norm today?

the races that have a clear winner by the faceoff dots are not the ones that cause injuries, the really close ones are.

That's exactly the good point. Nobody can call the tight races AND it can factor into the game. Leave it alone. To many freakin rules in the NHL as it is.

The stripes can't get the calls right as it stands, let's avoid giving them more control over a game they aren't even playing.

Also, it's the Fing top professional league. Stop legislating wins, and let the PLAYERS settle it. Changes to the rules should come from recommendations of the NHLPA, not the league anyway.

basically, hybryid icing accomplishes nothing other than asking the officials to make another judgement call on the ice. it opens the door to a whole new world of "i totally could have caught up to that but the linesman called it early, no fair" while leaving the scarey footraces into the end boards intact.

Exactly! It's too subjective.

I say leave the current icing rule alone, but I often thought about changing it for a team that is short-handed. If you're short-handed normal icing rules would apply....after all, you took a penalty so why should you get to ice the puck?

after all, you took a penalty so why should you get to ice the puck?

After all, it's 5 of you against 4 of them, why shouldn't they be rewarded for taking the puck away from you and tossing it up the ice?

The Flyers being far more likely to be on the receiving end of the shorthanded end of the stick since Bettman's tenure began, don't make it any tougher.