2 Player Buyout

Guest activestick

I actually think that is highly unlikely. Pronger gets his money from disability insurance. His salary does not effect the Flyers bottom line what-so-ever. The impact is the cap space before the season and contract number (ie. he takes up a contract slot). To buy him out would suggest that he can still play. Nobody has a crystal ball, but it is highly unlikely he can.

While not as significant, if Pronger's salary is being paid by insurance (which it probably is, I just have nothing on it) then the Flyers' insurance rates will likely be higher when insuring other contracts.

I don't think players with "hockey related injuries" can be bought out. I'll also wager that the owners are a LOT more interested in the dirty details of "hockey related injuries" than they are/were "hockey related revenue."

@Polaris922

Ya, I mean he'd still get a great payday. But it's hardly going out on top.

Soooooo, you guys buying out Fleury? :blink:

I happen to have a lot of faith in Fleury. He hasn't turned into Brodeur or anything, but he's been pretty good overall. And he came through well enough to get us to the Cup final twice, and win it once. He had a horrible post-season last year, but I'll wait a couple more before thinking he's washed up.

• Like 1

Just pulling your chain Polaris. He was pretty bad last year, but he's had some good ones, including being great in that cup run.

Got me thinking though... who WILL they buy out? I'd have to say Paul Martin if Martin doesn't have a good season this year. He's about all I can think of.

I agree... if he buys out Pronger, he still has to pay the man out of his team's pocket. This way the insurance company is paying for him. They just have to pretend like Pronger might come back each of the next five seasons or whatever it is.

His salary does not effect the Flyers bottom line what-so-ever.