NHL official's unique penalties for the Flyers

Guest The Quigster

What is happening to the Flyers(penalty wise) is so obvious it hard to ignore.The way penalties are being called are tougher than any teams I've watched this year.The NHL wants the "Jets" to do well,but the officials got a little overly exuberant last night.Maybe the NHL has a stringency rating,you know A,B,C,D,etc. for certain teams? The Wild had some questions about the officiating. It kinda sucks if your trying to win a Stanley Cup in an unequal field!

• Like 1

It's funny, when I talk to friends & family of other teams, they think the Flyers get away with murder (still) and they get called for any little thing. It's hard to argue, these discussions rarely happen when our two rooting interests are against one another.

That said, I think I have only ever seen the infamous tripple minors given out to Flyers... and who can forget the minor penalities for being Brashear, Carcillo.

Also questionable was the delay of games called during the Panthers game -- when is the last time league ops actually told the officials to stop blowing the play dead?

I hate conspiracy theories but I actually think there is a bias against the Flyers. But, it's not going away so it's up to the team to play through it. It might not be fair but it's the way it is...

I agree. If they minimize the penalties they have control over, maybe they win a few more games.

I'm not sure about a conspiracy. I definitely believe that Bettman has rooting interests in certain teams and/or players doing well. I also believe that there have been allegations of officials being told to call games certain ways. I forget the former referee who wrote a book and reportedly stated something along those lines.

I definitely believe that Bettman wanted Crosby and the Pens to win a cup. When Detroit goes up 2-0 in the finals and Malkin clearly violated the rules and should have been suspended for game three, the refs looked the other way. Without Malkin there was a good chance the Pens go down 3-0. With him they won game 3 4-2 and went on to win the Cup. If that was a Flyer or most any other team or player in the league, the player is suspended for the 3rd game of the finals.

That is why I am curious about tonight's game and the return of Sidney Crosby. I think that every time he is on the ice the refs will have the whistle in their mouths if someone checks him. I am happy he is back but it is not the job of the referees to protect a player. You will see if there is a ref conspiracy tonight in Crosby's return.

I don't disagree with what you're saying Dynamo. The league protected Gretzky, Lemieux etc and they'll protect Crosby. Just like the NFL protects the best quarterbacks, the NBA lets their stars "travel" etc, The league, no matter which, is better with it's best players.

And you have a good point. But in the NHL; especially when hockey was hockey, Gretzky didn't need the protection as he had Semenko,McClelland, McSorley, Fogolin and Steve Smith to make sure no one took liberties with him.

But Mario and now Crosby definitely receive preferential treatment which I guess is somewhat expected. What ticks me off is Lindros was never protected by the league. Of course he was a physical player where the others noted are not but he should not have been penalized by not being protected by the officials.

Edited by Dynamo 47

Saturday Rinaldo took a shot to the chops and all he did was yap at the player that did it - and got a misconduct penalty.

Read gets tripped, absolutely hauled down when the Jets had the man advantage. The result? A two minute bench minor against the Flyers for unsportsmanlike conduct. I've never seen that called against other teams in such a situation.

And when the Flyers did get a couple of calls their way against the 'Canes, the refs blew the play dead even though the Flyers had possession, TWICE.

Talbot gets his mouth torn apart, no penalty.

The Flyers have earned a bunch of penalties, to be sure. They also have gotten some "on the house" as well.

Saturday Rinaldo took a shot to the chops and all he did was yap at the player that did it - and got a misconduct penalty.

Read gets tripped, absolutely hauled down when the Jets had the man advantage. The result? A two minute bench minor against the Flyers for unsportsmanlike conduct. I've never seen that called against other teams in such a situation.

And when the Flyers did get a couple of calls their way against the 'Canes, the refs blew the play dead even though the Flyers had possession, TWICE.

Talbot gets his mouth torn apart, no penalty.

The Flyers have earned a bunch of penalties, to be sure. They also have gotten some "on the house" as well.

I know I know, you can make a case - and a decent one at that. Try not to think about it, unless you have a way to fix the problem?