Evgeni Malkin Concussed

Digityman

Penguins star and reigning NHL MVP Evgeni Malkin is dealing with concussion-like symptoms, according to a report by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Malkin has symptoms that include a severe headache and mild disorientation, the newspaper reported, citing multiple sources.

Malkin was injured in the third period of Friday's game against the Panthers after getting nudged by Florida's Erik Gudbranson. Malkin's back hit the boards at full speed and his head snapped back upon impact.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma ruled Malkin out for Sunday's game against Tampa Bay. Bylsma declined to elaborate on the nature of what is being called an "upper body" injury but added that Malkin is not hospitalized.

Pittsburgh's second-leading scorer, Malkin has registered 14 goals and 25 points in 22 games this season. The Russian center collected 50 goals and 109 points last season en route to winning the Hart Trophy.

Source

Here is the video. It will be interesting to see how well the Penguins will fair without Malkin, they've done fine without Crosby. But I think they will struggle more without Mallkin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4lf-dBsuOg8

I dunno. I think we'll be OK. I mean - we put up 104 points with Malkin, Crosby and Staal each missing 1/2 the season plus lengthy time lost for Kunitz and Letang that year...and that team didn't have James Neal.

I dunno. I think we'll be OK. I mean - we put up 104 points with Malkin, Crosby and Staal each missing 1/2 the season plus lengthy time lost for Kunitz and Letang that year...and that team didn't have James Neal.

But you guys don't have Staal now. Staal rose to the occasion to be the #2 center. Maybe Sutter can also, but I think Staal was more of an offensive threat. I see it as teams will now be more able to key on the Crosby line shutting it down. If that happens where is the scoring going to come from?

But you guys don't have Staal now. Staal rose to the occasion to be the #2 center. Maybe Sutter can also, but I think Staal was more of an offensive threat. I see it as teams will now be more able to key on the Crosby line shutting it down. If that happens where is the scoring going to come from?

- Staal

+ Sutter

+ Neal

Remember, they did it 2 years ago w/o Malkin AND Crosby AND Staal (and stretches w/o Letang and Kunitz). Guys stepped up before and can do it again. Not even sure how long he's going to be out either.

@B21 Even though Sutter seems perfectly suited for the 3rd line role, playing against the other teams top line etc, maybe they will shift him to the 2nd line and hope to get a bit more offense from him, since he will be playing with better wingers. Seems like an obvious move.

- Staal

+ Sutter

+ Neal

Yes, but I think the comparison is more like Staal + Sullivan vs Sutter +Neal. That really is a pretty good debate there. I guess we will see over the net week.

We know that Staal rose to the occasion when he was given second line duties. This might also the perfect scenario to judge which whether or not Carolina or Pittsburgh won that trade.

I think we'll be fine. Honestly the ONLY time the team drops a losing record because of one man out is Letang. Sutter will play second line, and if the end of the game against Florida is any sign, Jeffrey will center the third line. He got his first goal that game from Cooke.

I'm not suggesting Sutter is the offensive talent Staal was, but he's also not as lazy as Staal was and has a much better defensive game because of it. Goal prevention is just as important as goal production, and honestly Neal scores 75% of his goals on the top PP unit. Letang will slide into that unit with Malkin's absence.

I think we'll be fine. Honestly the ONLY time the team drops a losing record because of one man out is Letang. Sutter will play second line, and if the end of the game against Florida is any sign, Jeffrey will center the third line. He got his first goal that game from Cooke.

I'm not suggesting Sutter is the offensive talent Staal was, but he's also not as lazy as Staal was and has a much better defensive game because of it. Goal prevention is just as important as goal production, and honestly Neal scores 75% of his goals on the top PP unit. Letang will slide into that unit with Malkin's absence.

KARMA IS A BIITTCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but I think the comparison is more like Staal + Sullivan vs Sutter +Neal. That really is a pretty good debate there. I guess we will see over the net week.

We know that Staal rose to the occasion when he was given second line duties. This might also the perfect scenario to judge which whether or not Carolina or Pittsburgh won that trade.

Damn. I forgot about Sullivan. Good point.

@B21 Even though Sutter seems perfectly suited for the 3rd line role, playing against the other teams top line etc, maybe they will shift him to the 2nd line and hope to get a bit more offense from him, since he will be playing with better wingers. Seems like an obvious move.

Not the first time I heard that. I think Bylsma may have even said those would be the changes for tomorrow against the Bolts. Sutter would move up between Neal and Bennett and Jeffrey takes Sutter's spot between Cooke and Kennedy. Not terrible.

How is that Karma? Malkin has never put anybody out of a game with a dirty hit? And the shove on him didn't look dirty at the Center, just lost his skates and went down hard.

What do you not remember the non call shoulder to grossmanN in the playoffs last year gave him concussion symptoms...i mean damn i know you guys want to forget last year's exit but damn...dude is dirty and a cheap shot artist...take the penquenn shades off for a second....

I've said before he needs to keep his elbows and shoulders to himself, never said he isn't dirty. NO excuses for it there. But he's never injured anybody. The hit on Grossman you think gave him the concussion symptoms was not Malkin's hit, as Grossman got back up and right back into the play. The concussion symptoms came from a high hit from Kennedy later in the same game. Little pig face basically punches Grossman in the head against the glass, and THAT is where Grossman got hurt.

Edited by Polaris922

Maybe after having a concussion himself he'll keep his elbows down. He had quite a few sneaky elbows and shoulders to Grossmans head last year in the playoffs. Which led to Grossman being concussed.Karma's a b.

I know Malkin gets dirty, not arguing that, but he's never hurt anybody. The true culprit in the Grossman head injury is pig face Kennedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD5ZFdz1xNo''

I know Malkin gets dirty, not arguing that, but he's never hurt anybody. The true culprit in the Grossman head injury is pig face Kennedy.

'

Dude you said it in the other thread...so just because he wasn't successful in his many attempts clears him???

Wow don't even know what to say to that...but he put GrossmanN out that playoff series last year...besides if he wasn't the biggest guy on the ice always going after the smallest guy like Giroux maybe just maybe he would get all the hate..but 9 times out of ten he is always picking on some small dude 5'10" and what not...but defend away...

....it's like when someone on your team said Danny B was dirty most agreed he was know to carve people up with the cheap stick work but ususally it was after he was hot dirty and there was a non call...it doesn't justify it but helps to understand he gets frusrated calls he doesn't get the calls a crysby get is all.