Gus sent back to the Phantoms

Guest Samifan

Probably salary cap related, though Gervais is more of a scapegoat than the actual problem. He's playing relatively well as a 5/6, but when the goalie kicks rebounds directly to shooters...

Maybe Gus will benefit from more minutes in the A to hone his game for next season. Bright side.

• Like 1

I love Gus - one of his biggest supporters in fact - but he was really fighting the puck at times. Nerves or whatever, but there was not a lot of calm and poise to his game this time around. I still think he's a great prospect, but maybe this is what he need to regain his confidence

I agree that Gus has looked a bit jittery at times out there. But he's also looked quite good at times, and has definitely progressed from last season. Basically, about what I'd expect from a young, undersized, puck-moving D working to break into the league. I think this might be the hardest position/role to grow into at the NHL level. Small forwards can make plenty of mistakes early on as long as they're putting up points, but small defensemen have to be exceptionally good positionally since that's the foundation of their game...And that's tough to do right out of the gate.

As for Gus, the kid can flat out skate, and definitely has good puck skills. I'm optimistic that he can develop into a nice replacement for Matt Carle if the Flyers can manage to coach and develop him properly [cough]. Here's hoping...

Can anyone remember the last D the Flyers drafted who became a regular starter for the big club...? There were a few (Sbisa, Bourdon, Marshall, Bartulis, etc) who played partial seasons or were frequent callups, but I think the last guys they pulled this off with were Seidenberg and Pitkanen?! Wow.

Can anyone remember the last D the Flyers drafted who became a regular starter for the big club...? There were a few (Sbisa, Bourdon, Marshall, Bartulis, etc) who played partial seasons or were frequent callups, but I think the last guys they pulled this off with were Seidenberg and Pitkanen?! Wow

Pretty pathetic, isn't it?

@Lucky13 Woywitka?? If I'm right or wrong, it's sad, really. At least Gus is in the conversation. Apparently you can't say the same about Manning. I heard he does not even have a chance of being recalled, guess he is regressing in the AHL? Thougth Gus was better, but had some hope for Manning...oh well.....par for the course.

@jammer2

I don't really remember Woywitka playing with the Flyers.....just a highly touted D prospect that got traded while still young.'

I am guessing but was he traded in the Mike Comrie deal? (now time to look it up)

edit: was right and Danny Syvret turned out to be the player selected with the third rounder going to Phx. lol

Edited by Claude Monet

@Lucky13 Woywitka?? If I'm right or wrong, it's sad, really. At least Gus is in the conversation. Apparently you can't say the same about Manning. I heard he does not even have a chance of being recalled, guess he is regressing in the AHL? Thougth Gus was better, but had some hope for Manning...oh well.....par for the course.

I remember the Flyers drafting Woywitka and there being some buzz about him at the time, but I don't recall him playing much, at least not for the big club...? Checking his stats, it looks like he didn't see real NHL time until he was with the Blues.