Justin Schultz

Guest toughfighter83

what would take for the flyers to get him? he's the defensive player of the year for the ahl, he's clearly a winner, i would give a first and maybe courts or laughton for him? flyers wanted him for the start and oilers have a new gm, so i would take advantage of that, if i was homer or hopefully maybe new gm if snider wakes up and wants to win now, get him.

Edited by toughfighter83

@toughfighter83

the problem there is that he is exactly the kind of player that the oilers need if they ever want to stop drafting in the top 5. i'd think his value to them is probably higher than his value to most other teams. and, there's the other thing, Edmonton can't be too impressed with high draft picks any more. they need roster players, not kids. kinda doubt couturier or laughton are what they're looking for. I imagine vet defensemen are highest on their list.

edit: also, he was the WCHA defensive player of the year, a year ago. and, apparently, the year before that. he's been in Edmonton since January. and his -17 scares me a little. I haven't seen much of him, but when you have the worst +/- on an oilers' squad....

Edited by aziz

what would take for the flyers to get him? he's the defensive player of the year for the ahl, he's clearly a winner, i would give a first and maybe courts or laughton for him? flyers wanted him for the start and oilers have a new gm, so i would take advantage of that, if i was homer or hopefully maybe new gm if snider wakes up and wants to win now, get him.

Are you serious? He's the Oiler's best Dman. He won the award and only played half the season in the AHL. The kid is pretty much untouchable. It would take half our top forwards. WOW!

Edited by albertaflyer

@toughfighter83

The time to have acquired Schultz was last summer, Schultz wanted a guarantee he would be playing in the NHL, Homer couldn't make that promise......thus Philly fell out of the Schultz race. Schultz was a FA and chose where he wanted to play.

@toughfighter83

The time to have acquired Schultz was last summer, Schultz wanted a guarantee he would be playing in the NHL, Homer couldn't make that promise......thus Philly fell out of the Schultz race. Schultz was a FA and chose where he wanted to play.

Actually it was the crop of young forwards that was the final sale for Schultz. I'm pretty sure a few of the players did really good job of selling Edmonton to him. From what he has said anyways.

I've seen the kid play a ton this year and he is one of the best young defensmen I've seen in a long time. Speed and skill and a wrist shot from the point that is harder than most guys slap shots. Once he gets a steady D partner he going to be one of the best in the league.

• Like 1

Actually it was the crop of young forwards that was the final sale for Schultz. I'm pretty sure a few of the players did really good job of selling Edmonton to him. From what he has said anyways.

Yeah, it wasn't just one consideration. In hindsight though he probably would have played more NHL games with the Flyers than Edmonton. :wacko:

Huh? All NHL teams play the same number of games, 48 this season!?! He's played in every one so far!

Yeah, you are right, I didn't look it up. So then this is bogus that he is the AHL defensive player of the year.

-duh

Just taking a quick gander at the AHL d-man scoring...they must have taken Schultz out, but he had 48 pts in 38 games during the lockout, so when you look at the rest of the pack, his stats look amazing!

http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay.php?type=top_scorers&subType=1&season_id=34&league_id=4&division_id=-1&confId=0

Yeah, you are right, I didn't look it up. So then this is bogus that he is the AHL defensive player of the year.

-duh

Not so sure it's bogus. I saw him several times down here. He was leading the AHL in scoring for most of the time he was in the AHL. His play is effortless. Solid defensively and able to join the rush. Flyers fans would get wood if he somehow ended up on the Flyers roster.

Not so sure it's bogus. I saw him several times down here. He was leading the AHL in scoring for most of the time he was in the AHL. His play is effortless. Solid defensively and able to join the rush. Flyers fans would get wood if he somehow ended up on the Flyers roster.

He never will. He will be in Edmonton for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a 6-8 year deal after his rookie deal is done.

Just taking a quick gander at the AHL d-man scoring...they must have taken Schultz out, but he had 48 pts in 38 games during the lockout, so when you look at the rest of the pack, his stats look amazing!

http://theahl.com/st..._id=-1&confId=0

@jammer2,

You had the wrong year. Try this link. He still leads all AHL defenseman in scoring and hasn't played an AHL game in over 3 months.

http://theahl.com/st..._id=-1&confId=0

Edited by AlaskaFlyerFan

what would take for the flyers to get him?

Why he is basically Bruno Gervais with a little bit better scoring flare that is it(23 points in 43 games yet -15 yikes how about a little D)...he ain't/won't play defense....so no Flyers need to pass.

But you don't expect the goalie to stop the puck so you probaly don't expect the Dmen to play defense too huh?????

Once he gets a steady D partner he going to be one of the best in the league.

Sorry just don't see it...but stranger things have happened...i guess you could learn to live with him if you expected him not to play defense like what i've seen so far. Time will tell....for now we disagree...