Hart Trophy Finalists

Guest hf101

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win the Hart Trophy

• Sidney Crosby
    • Alex Ovechkin
    • John Tavares

1. Sidney Crosby

Crosby led the league with his 1.56 points per game average with a career best +26 rating. He finished tied for third in points (56) while missing a month due to a broken jaw.

2. Alex Ovechkin

Ovechkin lead the league with 32 goals and is tied for third in points (56) while playing all 48 games.

3. John Tavares

Tavares is a first time Hart Finalist, he lead the Islanders to the playoffs with his 47 points in all 48 games. Tavares also finished third in the league with 28 goals scored.

I'm actually leaning toward Tavares. He does a lot for that team with little help. I don't think they get anywhere near the playoffs without him.

A very sensible and rational choice. But we all know it's going to be Crosby.

A very sensible and rational choice. But we all know it's going to be Crosby.

Crosby was killing the scoring race by such a huge margin I can also understand him winning too. Especially since the Gretzky era pretty much turned it into a measure of scoring ability more than just most valuable to one's team.

East coast bias?

Yeah, maybe. I think Patrick Kane was a consideration for the Award, maybe there is some disadvantage for western teams by not having interconference play in the shortened season. IMO Kane had just as much to do with Chicago's unbeaten streak as did Crosby. But then Crosby lead the league in points till the last couple of weeks while missing a month.

Frankly each of these players played a significant role in their team's success. I'd have to give the award to Tavaras though....without him the Islanders don't make the playoffs.

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe. I think Patrick Kane was a consideration for the Award, maybe there is some disadvantage for western teams by not having interconference play in the shortened season. IMO Kane had just as much to do with Chicago's unbeaten streak as did Crosby. But then Crosby lead the league in points till the last couple of weeks while missing a month.

Frankly each of these players played a significant role in their team's success. I'd have to give the award to Tavaras though....without him the Islanders don't make the playoffs.

Kane had an amzing start when the Hawks ran away and hid with the Presidents trophy but kind of coasted down the stretch. He did cool down as the season wore on.

Okay, I'll toss my $.02 in here. I have a problem with the finalists myself. Crosby and Tavares I see, but I think Kane should have been in there instead of Ovie, maybe even Crosby. Its not the normal Ovie dislike here, yes I dislike him. He had a lights out second half of the year, no doubt, but the first half of the season he sucked, BIG time. You can't play well for half the season, and suck the other half and expect to win the Hart. Its an award for the years play. And as I said, based on that, I could have seen Crosby left off because the missed time due to injury, even though his overall numbers were equivalant for the season were equivilant and his points/game was the best by far.

I would have tossed the coin between Kane and Tavares

My pick for the Hart did not even make the final 3. Toews is the best all round player right now, and while is stats are not totally wicked, he is amazing in all 3 zones. Just a model of consistancy.

Of the 3 finalists, I'd take OV, he carried his team on his back....well, OV and Holtby. 23 goal in his last 22 games (or reallly close to that)...no way do the Caps even sniff the playoffs without Alexander.

Don't underestimate Crosby on defensive zone work. Hossa being here for one season brought a lot of that work ethic out in Crosby. Something I don't think he had 100% resolve for before Hossa was here for his brief stint. I'd bounce Ovechkin for Toews though if it were my call.