Original 6 Final?

flyercanuck

The Bruins have put the final nail in the pens coffin. Swept them 4 straight and held two of the best players in the world to no points. Now they wait.

The Black Hawks are up 3-1 and look to finish this series off likely the next game. Heart and soul Mike Richards is still on the shelf with a concussion. "Captain" Dustin Brown has decided to take the entire playoffs off, scoring-wise. Kopitar is basically in the same boat. You can't expect your goalie to not allow any goals every game. So it looks like an original six matchup is coming our way, which is kind of cool if your team isn't going to be in it. I was just looking to see how long it's been since the Bruins and Hawks met in the finals. They never have.

I don't get the hype about "original six". I mean... What difference does it make WHEN a team joined the league? It's no reflection on them, or anyone else now.

For me it's less about when they joined the league and more about why they were the original 6 - serious goddam hockey fans live in these towns. I hate the Rangers for deeply religious reasons but seeing any of the other five raise the Cup will never give me the heebie jeebies like seeing Tampa win.....over Calgary....just seemed like an injustice to me.

• Like 1

I love the history of the original six. As a fan who was born in 1964 and went to his first game in 1972 the era had passed by just a little before my time.

But as a kid I grew up watching the Wings, reading about Gordie and Delvechio and Sawchuk and Hall and the rest reading about the big bad bruins and the Habs and the Leafs of the late sixties, usually in some very bad book written by Stan Fischler.

Living in Ohio hockey was on television only a couple of times a year, so these books about the original six plus WJR Detroit with Bruce Martyn got me through in between the couple of times a year that I actually got to go to the old Olympia in downtown Detroit with my Grandfather to catch a game, and most of them were against original six teams.

So yeah, I am romantic for an age that I am not quite old enough to remember and I m thrilled to have two of the original six in the finals, and over the next few days will pull out a bunch of old hockey cards from that era, Murray Balfour, Glenn Hall, Forbes Kennedy, Leo Boivin, Teddy Green, Bobby Hull and all of the rest, and I don't care how corny it is I will read their old cards all over again as I watch the original six cup with no Panthers or Lightning or Coyotes or anyone else who came after my childhood and will relive MY childhood a bit all over again.

• Like 1

I don't get the hype about "original six". I mean... What difference does it make WHEN a team joined the league? It's no reflection on them, or anyone else now.

It's just history Polaris. I respect that. I wouldn't expect some bandwagon jumping when Crosby joined the league Pens fan who'd never heard of hockey before to understand :P

But seriously, I don't dream of Original 6 finals, but if they happen it's kind of cool, especially when they've never met once in the 80 years or so they've been in the league. But I'd rather have Philly play Uruguay. At least then we might actually win.

Edited by flyercanuck

The original six was the big three (Montreal Toronto and Detroit) and the little three (NYR Boston and Chicago). Good to see a couple of the 'weak sisters in the final, lol

It's just history Polaris. I respect that. I wouldn't expect some bandwagon jumping when Crosby joined the league Pens fan who'd never heard of hockey before to understand :P

But seriously, I don't dream of Original 6 finals, but if they happen it's kind of cool, especially when they've never met once in the 80 years or so they've been in the league. But I'd rather have Philly play Uruguay. At least then we might actually win.

Haha! I'll admit I only started following hockey regularly around 80-82 somewhere, so maybe that's part of why I don't care about it. I'm a military history guy but that's about it for history and I.

The Kings cannot be happy with Kopitar's playoff. He didn't rise to the occasion like a legit #1 center should have. When the Kings needed big goals, RIchards, Carter, Williams, Brown were all chipping in, but Kopitar's goals all seemed to come at garbage times when it really didn't count. Maybe I'm being to harsh, but perhaps the Kings might be looking to go in another direction. Kopitar would command a huge return, maybe they kick the bucket on this and see what is out there trade wise.