Penguin Flyer rivalry

yave1964

I love the rivalry between these two franchises it is real and intense and as good a one going in the game today. I have no doubt from reading in here that to a Flyer/Penguin fan that their second favorite team is the one playing their arch enemy. Absolutely no love lost between you two.

As a Wings fan I am envious the Wings have not had a rivalry like this since the intense Avalanche rivalry that ended a decade ago. We have had organizations and fans jealous of our success but not a fierce blood feud. Part of the reason I am sure is because the Wings play a skilled game and not an intense game.

Flyers Penguins is always on my radar, I try to watch as many games as possible between organization with a high skill level who don't like each other, Canucks and Hawks is the only other one going right now that rivals it, IMHO.

Looking forward to being in the East and seeing more games against all of you guys next year. Here is hoping the Flyers live up to their end next season, nothing kills a good rivalry more than one team no longer able to keep up.

nothing kills a good rivalry more than one team no longer able to keep up.

Ain't that the truth. I suspect that's what ultimately happened to the Avalanche/Wings rivalry. Players changed over time, of course, so there's that. But the Wings stayed good and the Avalanche didn't. But man, I miss those days!

• Like 2

Yeah, I think there are more natural rivalries for the Wings in the East. I mean, geographically, Chicago worked, but there was little else.

In the east they'll have the Maple Leafs. That's another case where the opponent has to "keep up" but if by some miracle the Leafs could become good and sustain it, you'd think that would be a good thing for Detroit. And then they'll also have Philly, Pitt, Boston, and Montreal. The east is a better place for Detroit, I think.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me. Detroit in the East just doesn't work for me. I grew up with the MN, Chicago, Detroit rivalries, - hockey, football, baseball.

IMO, Detroit belongs in the division with the Blackhawks, Wild, Blues, Predators, Stars, Avalanche.

OH WOW ---

Check this out. - how did everyone miss this? http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=75862

post-2-0-25125200-1370798988_thumb.png

Makes a TON of sense with the most possible expansion in the EAST !!

However it has to be a mistake. ??? Didn't the board of directors meet in March?

anybody?

EDIT: This has to the board of governors approval prior to the NHLPA approval. Amazing how NHL.com website can take an old page and view it as up to date it within the daily format.

Edited by hf101
added material

Maybe it is just me. Detroit in the East just doesn't work for me. I grew up with the MN, Chicago, Detroit rivalries, - hockey, football, baseball.

IMO, Detroit belongs in the division with the Blackhawks, Wild, Blues, Predators, Stars, Avalanche.

OH WOW ---

Check this out. - how did everyone miss this? http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=75862

Sorry, but if I'm a Detroit fan, that division is an absolute snooze fest for me.

For me--and keep in mind this is just me--St. Louis and Minnesota do nothing for me in terms of a rivalry. St. Louis has to be the most emotionless afterthought of a hockey franchise in the league. Nashville inspires nothing either. And despite their free agent signings I sometimes actually forget the Wild are in the league. I just don't see any rivalries there. I'm sure Nashville has very nice fans and all that, but if I'm Detroit I take the possibilty of a Toronto/Detroit rivalry every time.

Football and baseball? Baseball I get, but in football I think that goes toward the theory that one team has to remain relevant. I'm 44 and the Lions haven't been relevant in my lifetime. I do actually get what you're saying and it would probably be better if the cities could hate each other in all four sports. But in hockey I just don't see the natural rivalry there due to the excrutiatingly boring teams (with the current exception of Chicago).

By the way, I get the "where else do you put them" argument and the desire to keep the NY teams with the PA teams, but I'll never quite understand Florida and Tampa being in the same division with Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.

• Like 1

@ruxpin

I'm going back to the days of the Norris Division. It is just what I grew up with ...the Minn, Chicago, Detroit rivals.

Part of the reason we don't see any rivalries with the Wild is because they have been playing in the NW division. Which completely changes next year when they are on prime time with the Blackhawks and the Blues.

• Like 2

Part of the reason we don't see any rivalries with the Wild is because the have been playing in the NW division. Which completely changes next year when they are on prime time with the Blackhawks and the Blues.

Very good point. I think that will definitely help the Wild, particularly with the Hawks (St. Louis just bores the crap out of me and always has). And it would have been more helpful for the Wild if they were in with the Wings. Definitely agree there. From the Wings perspective, though, it's still a snooze fest except for Chicago.

I was going to say that staying in the west still doesn't help the Wings with travel, but I guess Detroit to Miami is still fairly ridiculous.

@ruxpin

In a year or two we will find out the real reasons why they put 8 teams in each of the divisions in the East other than the promise made years ago. I'm guessing that this is just a interim until the league expands.

Ain't that the truth. I suspect that's what ultimately happened to the Avalanche/Wings rivalry. Players changed over time, of course, so there's that. But the Wings stayed good and the Avalanche didn't. But man, I miss those days!

We can relate. ;)

• Like 1

OH WOW ---

Check this out. - how did everyone miss this? http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=75862

This. I look at a map and Detroit is closed to the "middle" than to the Atlantic Ocean. I get the time zone issue and all but couldn't we have just moved the date line over a litte? Sheesh, Bettman.

OH WOW ---

ok..i may be slow here and confused...but this is wrong right???? I thought the divisions where as follows:

From Wikipedia:

"On March 7, 2013, the NHLPA officially gave its consent to the NHL's proposed realignment plan.[97] On March 14, 2013, the NHL's Board of Governors approved the realignment proposal, which will now be implemented prior to the 2013-2014 season. The divisions will be temporarily referred to as Division A, Division B, Division C and Division D, and will be renamed in the future.[98]

The top three teams in each division will make the playoffs, with 2 wild-cards in each conference (for a total of 16 playoff teams)."

Western Conference

Conference A:

• Anaheim
  • Calgary
  • Edmonton
  • LA
  • Phoenix
  • San Jose
  • Vancouver

Conference B:

• Chicago
  • Colorado
  • Dallas
  • Minn
  • Nashville
  • St.Louis
  • Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

Conference C:

• Boston
  • Buffalo
  • Detroit
  • Florida
  • Montreal
  • Ottawa
  • TB
  • Toronto

Conference D:

• Carolina
  • Columbus
  • NJ
  • NY Ranger
  • NJ Islanders
  • Philadelphia
  • Pitts
  • Wash

Edited by pilldoc

By the way, do you know what was truly a forgettable division that should never be resurrected? The Norris Division. That wasn't even hockey.

Hey now Teddy, lol.

The funniest line I ever heard about the old wretchedly bad Norris division with my beloved Wings in it, and God forgive me I cannot remember who said it, but the quote was, "The Norris division is like puppy love, it may be funny to everyone else but it is real to the puppies." 'bout sums up the old Norris.

I have a friend of mine who is a huge Blues fan (yeah there are a couple of them) and he told me he hates the Hawks, cant stand Nashville and even hates the Stars but not the Wings because they boringly beat you. I have to admit especially since Shanny and Darren Mac and Joey moved on, the Wings have put some highly skilled but boring teams out there. Lidstrom was an amazing player but he was so always in position and clean an perfect that quite frankly it did get old.

I would like the Wings to add a few skilled but nasty players, Brendan Smith is showings signs of life but God what a vanilla bunch. Kronwall knocks about three people a year on their ass but other than that he is not physical. Ericsson is huge and so is Kindl but they are both timid. Tootoo cant play. What I wouldn't give for the Wings to go get a Lucic or a Shaw or Bollig. As much as I hate him, even a Clowe.

This editorial brought to you by the society for the conservation of putting on the foil old time hockey.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 2

"The Norris division is like puppy love, it may be funny to everyone else but it is real to the puppies."

I'd never heard that, but that sums it up quite nicely. Funny as hell, too.

@pilldoc

You are right doc. What was weird was when I googled the "new NHL conferences" and the link I posted was the first option ??... quite deceiving with the updated nhl page and all.

I do think that was right though that the board of governors approved, but the NHLPA drew up the plan you posted above and that was the final outcome.

I used to love the Wings/Avs rivalry. It was the best in sports in my opinion at one point.

I think Flyers/Penguins has become the best in hockey right now. These teams really do dislike each other and it comes through.

I would love to see the Flyers hold their end up because the Penguins aren't going to drop off anytime soon.

I used to love the Wings/Avs rivalry. It was the best in sports in my opinion at one point.

I think Flyers/Penguins has become the best in hockey right now. These teams really do dislike each other and it comes through.

I would love to see the Flyers hold their end up because the Penguins aren't going to drop off anytime soon.

Wings-Avs hands down the best NHL rivalry of the 90s. There was already plenty of bad blood when Claude Lemieux rearranged Kris Draper's face, after that every shift seemed like it was personal every time they played. Man that was fun to watch

• Like 3

Wings-Avs hands down the best NHL rivalry of the 90s. There was already plenty of bad blood when Claude Lemieux rearranged Kris Draper's face, after that every shift seemed like it was personal every time they played. Man that was fun to watch

What most folks don't seem to remember is Slava Kozlov started the war by spinning Adam Foote face first in to the boards and blood running everywhere. I know it was double digit stitches. And right behind the play with the ref looking the other way. Good times.
  • Like 1