Why Sid lost the plot with Chara...

EDI-Flyer

Not sure if this was posted before but this is a great read and pretty much sums up why Crosby is hated outside of Pitt... Let me state I am NOT CROSBY BASHING to our resident Pens fans but just a look at why he is viewed by fans the way he is...

http://boston.cbsloc...ace-of-the-nhl/

Edited by murraycraven

Of course you do, you're a Pen fan.

Crosby has done a lot of things over the years that others don't respect.You can disagree, that's your opinion. But you can clearly see it in the way his peers treat him. Put it this way, I've seen a lot of players shake their heads after Crosbys antics (and they're not always the result of beautiful goals) Lot's of players in every league have to put up with bs. Some do it with class. Some not so much. Don't get me wrong, off the ice Crosby is fine. But he's pulled a lot of questionable stunts over the years where I could see punching him in the face in a scrum is pretty acceptable to players on other teams. To go over the top as an example.., it's like Domi suckerpunching Samuellson. Real dirty play if it involved most any other player. Totally acceptable because of Ulfies prior history. Fans of other teams who hated Domi (including moi) applauded the move.

Don't disagree (aside from the number and severity) but I don't buy the peers argument. There have been countless numbers of players come down the pike with resumes a lot worst than Crosby and who have had to put up with a lot less than Crosby. No one taking shots at them at most every opportunity. Domi. Cooke. Ulf. These guys are the worst of the worse. Kane is a better comparison. Anyone sucker him lately?

I get what you are saying and it makes sense if Crosby's misdeeds were that bad...but they aren't.

Not sure if this was posted before but this is a great read and pretty much sums up why Crosby is hated outside of Pitt... Let me state I am NOT CROSBY BASHING to our resident Pens fans but just a look at why he is viewed by fans the way he is...

Real objectivity there. Like asking Don Cherry for his thoughts on a hideous sport coat. :ph34r:

• Like 1

See, I don't think it's at all the same.

Crosby's "I don't like them" comment was in a postgame interview on national TV after a game during the playoffs. Giroux's comment was off the NHL ice, away from the game with a small town paper during the offseason.

If Giroux was sitting at his locker in front of the media holding his wrists wailing "SID!!!! WHY!?!?!? WHHYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?" then you might have something there.

Agree to disagree. I'd have a lot less problem with what Giroux said if it weren't so long after it happened. At that point, you could chalk up the comments to being po'd about these alleged dirty faceoffs or even gamesmanship towards the officiating.

Not months later. Take the high road.

@murraycraven

That is perhaps the most biased "news article" I've read in some time. Talk about home tinted lenses. When you watch the video at regular speed it looks just as bad as in slow motion. It's a punch to the jaw. They try to make Crosby look like he asks for it by grabbing Chara's shoulder pad, but fail to mention he does so because Chara has already punched Morrow in the back of the head twice and is looking to do it again when Crosby grabs him.

Again, I'm not saying anything should be done about it after the fact, but I think it easily justifies Crosby barking at Chara. Done deal otherwise.

Agree to disagree. I'd have a lot less problem with what Giroux said if it weren't so long after it happened. At that point, you could chalk up the comments to being po'd about these alleged dirty faceoffs or even gamesmanship towards the officiating.

Not months later. Take the high road.

Have you read the actual article or just the clips and blog posts about it?

http://www.timminspress.com/2012/07/26/giroux-a-modest-superstar

Now, put them in the context of Crosby's reaction to it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sidney-crosby-didn-t-try-break-claude-giroux-203944352--nhl.html

"They're probably involved in that stuff more than any team in the league and they're the ones always talking about it."

Is that "whining" so far after the fact? I don't really see either of these comments as anything but "this is hockey." It has been characterized the way it has been by those with a partisan agenda on either side as a convenient whipping point when it's not possible to come up with something more relevant and creative.

Again, Giroux is talking to the Timmins (Ont.) Press about a month after the season ended. Circulation about 6,000 in 2008 after they had to drop the extensive circulation routes to Chapleau and Hearst in 2007.

Crosby in front of his locker with national media surrounding him - on camera. His reaction was likewise to a national audience in which - if we must - he "complained" about similar treatment.

I can't find Giroux referencing it since.

Which one is trying to get the most attention?

Crosby in front of his locker with national media surrounding him - on camera. His reaction was likewise to a national audience in which - if we must - he "complained" about similar treatment.

I'm confused. Are you still talking about the Chara thing or Crosby's reaction to Giroux's comments?

If its Chara, then Crosby can't be blamed as he didn't bring it up, his agent did. If its Crosby's reaction to Giroux he answers a question a reporter asks him. How is that attention hunting?

Have you read the actual article or just the clips and blog posts about it?

http://www.timminspr...odest-superstar

Now, put them in the context of Crosby's reaction to it:

http://sports.yahoo....44352--nhl.html

"They're probably involved in that stuff more than any team in the league and they're the ones always talking about it."

Is that "whining" so far after the fact? I don't really see either of these comments as anything but "this is hockey." It has been characterized the way it has been by those with a partisan agenda on either side as a convenient whipping point when it's not possible to come up with something more relevant and creative.

Again, Giroux is talking to the Timmins (Ont.) Press about a month after the season ended. Circulation about 6,000 in 2008 after they had to drop the extensive circulation routes to Chapleau and Hearst in 2007.

I don't think either is trying to get attention. Small newspaper. National TV. Not really relevant here.

If Giroux says the same thing to a larger audience, you'd see the same reaction. Some saying "Yeah - maybe kinda sorta almost a little whiny but Crosby was dirty on those faceoffs" to "Giroux was not not whiny at all and Crosby was dirty on those faceoffs."

Now say Crosby gives an interview to the Cole Harbour High School Gazette and little Timmy asks him what he really thinks of the Flyers and Crosby jokingly replies, "Well, Timmy. I really don't like them..." and Timmy proceeds to Tweet that...my guess that would make it's way to this forum in 24-48 hours with a "Crosby doesn't like us..." thread.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. :ph34r:

And here is what frustrates us Pens fans so much. Can you bold me somewhere in that article, or anywhere on the internet the quote from Crosby where he accuses Chara of anything? Please, show me that so that I can agree with you, if you can't, you've simply fallen into the typical trap of unwittingly propagating Crosby bashing, without knowing it and without a thread of fact.

Edited by nossagog
  • Like 1