Why Sid lost the plot with Chara...

EDI-Flyer

What a douchebag move by Chara. I love that he watches the video and tells the interviewers it wasn't his hand or arm. I always kind of respected Chara as a businesslike, avoid the drama kind of steady defenseman. To openly attack an injury on an opponent though... I guess he's not quite the guy I thought he was.

What a douchebag move by Chara. I love that he watches the video and tells the interviewers it wasn't his hand or arm. I always kind of respected Chara as a businesslike, avoid the drama kind of steady defenseman. To openly attack an injury on an opponent though... I guess he's not quite the guy I thought he was.

I'm no fan of Chara, Mr. one wild swing and fall down in fights with bigger guy's or Crosby who deliberately tried to hurt Giroux's wrists, but what would pi** me off more than anything if i'm a pens fan is, WHY is Crosby having to take **** from Chara when you have TOUGHER GUY'S and former captains in Iginla and Morrow that should understand that part?, You have so called tougher guy's like Neal and Cooke as well, to go tell Chara, If you go after Sid, you better watch your knees or you better tell Bergeron that he wont be finishing the round healthy if it continues? I give Crosby props for at least having the balls to talk **** to Chara, where the rest of the team didn't, but the rest of the guy's on that team should be looking in the mirror.

Edited by twpguy

Not a Chara fan either but if he was to "punch" you in your recently healed broken jaw, it WOULD be broke again. That was more of a shove than a punch.

@Polaris922

That has got to be the mildest attack I have ever seen from a guy 6'9 and close to 270 lbs. Cheap shot, yes. Attack, not so much. Crosby wants to get involved in scrums, stuff like that is going to happen. FWIW, I would be ticked if that happened to Giroux and nobody on my team responded either.

Meh. Crosby has shown the same respect as he is given.

You have it backwards. Crosby gives the same respect he is shown. Everyone killed Crosby for barking at Chara...little puss, acting tough, etc. This should shut them up.

Shocker...he had a legit beef.... a sucker punch from Chara to his recently healed jaw. And it was a punch.

I wonder how many other times he's jawed at a guy for something that wasn't caught on camera. Hmmmm.

But...haters gonna hate.

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Chara, Mr. one wild swing and fall down in fights with bigger guy's or Crosby who deliberately tried to hurt Giroux's wrists, but what would pi** me off more than anything if i'm a pens fan is, WHY is Crosby having to take **** from Chara when you have TOUGHER GUY'S and former captains in Iginla and Morrow that should understand that part?, You have so called tougher guy's like Neal and Cooke as well, to go tell Chara, If you go after Sid, you better watch your knees or you better tell Bergeron that he wont be finishing the round healthy if it continues? I give Crosby props for at least having the balls to talk **** to Chara, where the rest of the team didn't, but the rest of the guy's on that team should be looking in the mirror.

Sorry Twp, but Giroux came off as very whiney there. That kind of thing happens on faceoffs all the time. He just happened to get hurt.

As for defending Sid, not Neal's job. Or Iginla's. They have got to be on the ice. If Cooke went after Bergeron everyone would have killed him for being dirty even though he would have had AMPLE reason to take him out. Chara got away with one. Looks like none of the other players saw...unless Crosby went back to the bench and "told on Chara" (not likely as we are seeing more and more that this whining rap is now way overblown) so not much can be done about it....for now. Now that it is out there though....

That's the kind of thing the league needs to take care of. If you are Chara, who is going f--- with you? Iginla can defend Sid's honor by getting pounded by Chara? Cooke? Anyone on the Pens? Is fighting Chara there really going to stop him from doing it again if given the opportunity? Heck no.

OT but relevant. Amazing how two people can look at the same thing and ahve totally different views...

EDI-Flyer: "Hard left..."

flyerod: "Shove..."

This is a tweener. Way more than a shove. Not quite a hard left. But definitely a punch and clearly aimed at the jaw.

Not a Chara fan either but if he was to "punch" you in your recently healed broken jaw, it WOULD be broke again. That was more of a shove than a punch.

@Polaris922

That has got to be the mildest attack I have ever seen from a guy 6'9 and close to 270 lbs. Cheap shot, yes. Attack, not so much. Crosby wants to get involved in scrums, stuff like that is going to happen. FWIW, I would be ticked if that happened to Giroux and nobody on my team responded either.

Whoooooooaaaaa. Shoves. Face washes. Sure. Sucker punches? Ixnay. I've seen you guys kill Pens for doing the same thing to Flyers in scrums. Now it happens to Crosby and its "stuff like that is gonna happen".

Double standards all over.

Sorry Twp, but Giroux came off as very whiney there. That kind of thing happens on faceoffs all the time. He just happened to get hurt.

As for defending Sid, not Neal's job. Or Iginla's. They have got to be on the ice. If Cooke went after Bergeron everyone would have killed him for being dirty even though he would have had AMPLE reason to take him out. Chara got away with one. Looks like none of the other players saw...unless Crosby went back to the bench and "told on Chara" (not likely as we are seeing more and more that this whining rap is now way overblown) so not much can be done about it....for now. Now that it is out there though....

That's the kind of thing the league needs to take care of. If you are Chara, who is going f--- with you? Iginla can defend Sid's honor by getting pounded by Chara? Cooke? Anyone on the Pens? Is fighting Chara there really going to stop him from doing it again if given the opportunity? Heck no.

I didnt say for Cooke fo cheap sot him, Cooke could challenge him face to face and that message is sent. Just because you lose a fight doesn't mean a message isnt sent. Getting Chara off the Ice for 5 minutes, or more, is a good thing. As far as Giroux coming off as whining, when you need wrist surgery after a series, it's more than every day happenings. He probably did whine some, but sadly, that's the only way to get the leagues attention.

I couldn't view the video. I need flashplayer or something. I was able to find this on Youtube...

Yeah that's basically the same thing. The video is still available if you go to TSN.ca and look for the video of the hockey insiders from June 14th. It's probably worth seeing the TSN version if you can as it has some interesting quotes from Chara regarding the punch...

I didnt say for Cooke fo cheap sot him, Cooke could challenge him face to face and that message is sent. Just because you lose a fight doesn't mean a message isnt sent. Getting Chara off the Ice for 5 minutes, or more, is a good thing. As far as Giroux coming off as whining, when you need wrist surgery after a series, it's more than every day happenings. He probably did whine some, but sadly, that's the only way to get the leagues attention.

Cooke getting tooled on by Chara (and he would) doesn't send a message. You cheap shotted our guy so here's another one you can pound on? That's my whole point about the guys at the "top of the food chain"....there is nooooooooooo deterrant other players can offer unless Cooke trying to get Bergeron to fight (which Bergeron would not and should not do) is a deterrant...which brings me back to square one. Unless you see cheap shot for cheap shot as a deterrant. Chara pops Crosby in the jaw. Fine. Cooke slews Krejci. You do it to us. We'll do it back. I don't agree with it...but that is way more of a deterrant than challenging Chara to a fight.

Biggest deterrant? Suspend Chara for a game. Guarantee he doesn't try it for a game.

Disagree on Giroux needed surgery meaning anything. A player could dish out 20 similar checks on 20 different guys; one of them could get hurt. I don't think Crosby does anything different on faceoffs against Giroux as opposed to any other player. No one else complaining or having wrist surgery.

Suspend Chara ? I stated it in an earlier post its more about who was involved in the incident,two lesser knows and it doesn't even make the back page. How many times have you seen much worse after the whistle shenanigans go uncalled with the ref standing right there and nothing called. I'm sure it's safe to say since it was a playoff game the league saw the incident and didn't think it warranted any discipline. It's also safe to say that if the pens thought it was over the line they requested that the league review the incident. If they did they league obviously rejected it.Lets look at it this way,Malkin should have been suspended but the league ignored it for the sake of keeping a star player on the ice same could apply here. Having said that if Sid was hurt Z should have been suspended I'm all for that.In my eyes it's was no more vicious than many many scrums we see in this very physical and emotional game. So to beat my dead horse again it's about who was involved.

Edited by peter puck
  • Like 1

I don't think it's WHO so much as a high profile injury. If it were Marchand playing after such a wicked shot to the face and returning from a jaw broken in half, and a guy like say... Dupuis punched him in that jaw, it would still get a lot of attention. I'm sure Crosby/Chara adds to the attention but I think it'd get attention nonetheless.

Suspend Chara ? I stated it in an earlier post its more about who was involved in the incident,two lesser knows and it doesn't even make the back page. How many times have you seen much worse after the whistle shenanigans go uncalled with the ref standing right there and nothing called. I'm sure it's safe to say since it was a playoff game the league saw the incident and didn't think it warranted any discipline. It's also safe to say that if the pens thought it was over the line they requested that the league review the incident. If they did they league obviously rejected it.Lets look at it this way,Malkin should have been suspended but the league ignored it for the sake of keeping a star player on the ice same could apply here. Having said that if Sid was hurt Z should have been suspended I'm all for that.In my eyes it's was no more vicious than many many scrums we see in this very physical and emotional game. So to beat my dead horse again it's about who was involved.

Yeah - in hindsight, "suspend" is strong. So how about 5, 10 and a game? That's what Staal got for a similar incident (look up Staal's "punch" of Prust on YouTube).

As for the Malkin comparison...Chara is not even in the same league. Also, not suspendeding for an instigator is a lot different than no discipline for what Chara did.

I'm not at all bothered by no discipline. Heck, another feather in the cap for any number of anti-Crosby arguments. ;)

Whoooooooaaaaa. Shoves. Face washes. Sure. Sucker punches? Ixnay. I've seen you guys kill Pens for doing the same thing to Flyers in scrums. Now it happens to Crosby and its "stuff like that is gonna happen".

Double standards all over.

You (Pens fans) keep saying he was ATTACKED. I said if a 6'9 mutant who looks like the missing link were to Punch you in the face you would know it. I will give you haters gonna hate because I do hate the whiner :)

@peter puck

Actually Malkin should not have been suspended by both the word and intent of the instigator rule. I won't go into it again cuz we've repeated it elsewhere but the league handled that correctly.

As for everyone else... On this incident with Chara punching... What's done is done. I wish somebody like Engelland had seen it and just gone after Chara, but nobody did. That was Goddard's role before they let him go, but obviously he wouldn't have been dressed in the playoffs anyway.

I don't know how you deal with something like that when the officials don't. Chara punches Crosby's wound... So do you have one of your guys go after Bergeron's head? How far do you go?

I think a guy like Engelland going after Chara whether he wants to drop em or not doesn't really solve it either. Chara turtles or ducks out, linesmen get in to stop it, and now you're killing a 5...

I have no clue here really. The refs missed it or I'm sure they'd have called a roughing minor. But if they hadn't...

It was up to Sid to get even by scoring goals and winning games. He looked like he was really trying, but to no avail.

So other than justifying Sid getting pissed off... None of this really matters.

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

Suspend?!? Seriously? Probably should have been a 2 min for roughing but nothing more.

I personally think they were being overly cautious with Sid & this injury. He had surgery and was interviewed less than a week later and showed no signs of swelling, jaw was not wired shut, etc. Not doubting that he was injured, just don't believe it was near as bad as the team & (probably more) the media made it out to be. The surgery was probably done by an oral surgeon (dentist) cleaning up the broken teeth and doing root canals. No screws, no plates, etc.

Crosby was healed from that injury and playing without a face shield. That kind of stuff happens during the course of a hockey game and happens to all players. Get over it.

Suspend?!? Seriously? Probably should have been a 2 min for roughing but nothing more.

I personally think they were being overly cautious with Sid & this injury. He had surgery and was interviewed less than a week later and showed no signs of swelling, jaw was not wired shut, etc. Not doubting that he was injured, just don't believe it was near as bad as the team & (probably more) the media made it out to be. The surgery was probably done by an oral surgeon (dentist) cleaning up the broken teeth and doing root canals. No screws, no plates, etc.

Crosby was healed from that injury and playing without a face shield. That kind of stuff happens during the course of a hockey game and happens to all players. Get over it.

Just on the injury: From what I read his jaw was broken right at the chin and shoved backward as two separate pieces. They said it was a severe break but since it was at the peak and not near joint or pivot no wires needed. There are screws or something because there is a follow up surgery required.

Just on the injury: From what I read his jaw was broken right at the chin and shoved backward as two separate pieces. They said it was a severe break but since it was at the peak and not near joint or pivot no wires needed. There are screws or something because there is a follow up surgery required.

While I consider ANY broken jaw serious, I don't believe his was AS serious as it was made out to be. If it was as you described, he would have needed screws and/or a plate. I just read that he had 4 dental surgeries, not surgery on the jaw bone itself.

While I consider ANY broken jaw serious, I don't believe his was AS serious as it was made out to be. If it was as you described, he would have needed screws and/or a plate. I just read that he had 4 dental surgeries, not surgery on the jaw bone itself.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/with-titanium-plates-crosbys-jaw-expected-to-heal-quickly-681738/

It's a long article so I didn't paste it here. Definitely a serious injury if they used titanium plates and screws.

You have it backwards. Crosby gives the same respect he is shown. Everyone killed Crosby for barking at Chara...little puss, acting tough, etc. This should shut them up.

Shocker...he had a legit beef.... a sucker punch from Chara to his recently healed jaw. And it was a punch.

I wonder how many other times he's jawed at a guy for something that wasn't caught on camera. Hmmmm.

But...haters gonna hate.

Actually, I was talking about past incidents where Crosby showed no respect. Jumping a guy on the faceoff, ballpunching from behind theres plenty to list To me it's what goes around. It was cheap by Chara, but Crosby has gone there plenty of times.

Lovers can't see past the black and gold.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/with-titanium-plates-crosbys-jaw-expected-to-heal-quickly-681738/

It's a long article so I didn't paste it here. Definitely a serious injury if they used titanium plates and screws.

From what I remember when it was going on, I think that they had the choice. If they wired him up, it would have taken longer to heal to the point that he could play. They used the plates and such so that he could get back to playing sooner, as the plates would give him stability sooner than full healing.