If I know the new CBA Homer can trade for Luongo and Canucks can pick

Mario99

For those of us from Europe whose knowledge of baseball goes from Kevin Costner "building it" to Dennis Quaid in a Disney....what do you mean? Canucks can buy him out and Flyers pay for a large chunk of it, providing he signs with the Flyers as a free agent??

@murraycraven, yes, the Canucks could pick up up to half of the salary and cap hit.

from capgeek (http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/)

Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:

• No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
  • Salary/cap hit cannot be retained on more than three contracts in one season
  • The aggregate cap hits retained cannot exceed 15 per cent of the upper limit
  • A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained

Edited by AJgoal

Thanks AJ, can these players double dip also, if bought out, like Bryz he got bought out and signs with Calgary for 4 years $20 million he collects from Ed Snider $ 1.7 million for next 14 years plus his $$$ from Calgary

@murraycraven, yes, the Canucks could pick up up to half of the salary and cap hit.

from capgeek (http://www.capgeek.com/new-cba/)

Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:

• No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
  • Salary/cap hit cannot be retained on more than three contracts in one season
  • The aggregate cap hits retained cannot exceed 15 per cent of the upper limit
  • A contract can be traded only twice where salary/cap hit is retained

Thanks AJ... I dont understand what the benefit would be to the 'nucks. So, if Homer would be dumb enough to trade for Robert's contract the 'Canucks could possibly just pay up to 50% of the contract?

Thanks AJ... I dont understand what the benefit would be to the 'nucks. So, if Homer would be dumb enough to trade for Robert's contract the 'Canucks could possibly just pay up to 50% of the contract?

Yes. The benefit is that the Canucks would be able to get assets for Luongo, while still shedding at least half of his salary and cap hit.

Yes. The benefit is that the Canucks would be able to get assets for Luongo, while still shedding at least half of his salary and cap hit.

Thanks man...

While I would not be against taking on Roberto's contract at 2.6 (50% paid by the 'Nucks) I want no parts of him being paid by the Flyers another 9 years!

Oh, and BTW, there's a rule in the CBA named after him (same source):

CAP ADVANTAGE RECAPTURE (Roberto Luongo Rule)

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

Soooo.... Should Weber retire before his contract is up, he could kill the Predators' cap. I'm sure this could be a disaster in Minny, as well. I'd have to read the whole CBA, I wonder if there is an injury exemption.

The only way that makes any sense for the Canucks is if they have 2 other players they want to buy out or if they just really want to be swell guys to Roberto so he gets 100% instead of 66% + whatever the Flyers give him.

Either way, I don't want the flyers taking 50% of his salary. That's way too much for the role they're looking to fill right now.

Most of the money left on Loungo' contract, like what Baseball does in some trades

There can only be an injury exception if he was under 35 when the deal went into place... Which is why Pronger (last CBA) is still getting paid and Keith Primeau (2 CBA's ago) was gently asked to retire.

Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.

Soooo.... Should Weber retire before his contract is up, he could kill the Predators' cap. I'm sure this could be a disaster in Minny, as well. I'd have to read the whole CBA, I wonder if there is an injury exemption.

Edited by King Knut

There can only be an injury exception if he was under 35 when the deal went into place... Which is why Pronger (last CBA) is still getting paid and Keith Primeau (2 CBA's ago) was gently asked to retire.

Good Lord, what a backwards approach at running a business. Is there any other precedent anyone can think of, in sports or business in general that allows such nonsense. It's almost comical....I can't control my spending habits, so lets implement a rule that might help me along....LOL! I

I suspect this specific clause is exactly why Hartnell was given a six year deal. Why would any GM in their right mind doll out a 7 year deal now, even for a true superstar??Even if a guy becomes useless, you might be able to find a team that is desperate to reach the cap floor, like the Panthers did this past year....but even then you have to pray and hope the guy does not break down....un freaking real!!

Can we honour Marylin and call this the "7 year itch clause"? LOL!!

This also has direct implications in the Giroux extension. We better not give him a 7+ year deal, even factoring in his relataive youth. Then, if you don't give him a 7+ year extension, and you make it 6 years, there is less security from his end which should directly translate into a higher cap hit. Good Lord.

Edited by jammer2

Jammer, key line which should mean it doesn't apply to any new contracts, as they are governed by the new percentage change per year::

defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA

Edited by AJgoal