Snider quote sounds familiar

Guest brelic

Saw this on Philly.com this morning:

http://www.philly.co...agent_list.html

Snider watching Flyers chairman Ed Snider was at the club's draft table on the floor at the Prudential Center on Sunday, marking the first time he'd been actively involved in the team's draft day activities in years.

Snider, 80, said in an interview with NBC 10 yesterday that the Flyers are on "high alert" and his involvement was to make sure that the team gets back to the playoffs next spring.

He also spoke candidly about the Flyers' decision to buy out goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov last week.

"I don't pick the players. I didn't pick Ilya Bryzgalov," Snider said. "All of our scouts, our goalie scout, our pro scouts, including Paul [Holmgren], we had a meeting and I happened to attend it. Of all the goalies that were available, he was considered to be the best."

"We brought him in. He played well. He wasn't horrible. It didn't fit for a variety of reasons. It was a mistake. We're paying the price for it." When asked about Bryzgalov's off-ice antics, Snider said: "I think you'd have to be a psychiatrist to figure out what the problem was."

That bolded part, to me, is what plagues this organization. On the one hand, they pay lip service to building from within, and showing patience. But on the other, to put the team on "high alert" to "make sure they make the playoffs" sounds a little like a contradiction in philosophy. It means that you are more focused on the very short-term situation. When your boss puts you on "high alert" and your goal is making the playoffs, then you might make moves that are not in the team's long-term interest.

Is our team, as it is right now, a playoff team? We've added Streit and Mason, and subtracted Briere and Bryz. Sign a FA forward (Gagne or other), and you're done. I think that is a team that can finish somewhere in the 6-10 range in the East.

But what if you want to "make sure" you get there? I guess we'll see this week.

And for the record, if they trade away Coburn, we've become that much weaker on defense. Streit makes us worse defensively (62 pts in 81 games with Montreal, and was a -6), and losing a big minute eating defenseman like Coburn with no replacement also weakens us.

• Like 3

"I don't pick the players. I didn't pick Ilya Bryzgalov," Snider said. "All of our scouts, our goalie scout, our pro scouts, including Paul [Holmgren], we had a meeting and I happened to attend it. Of all the goalies that were available, he was considered to be the best."

And all the scouts, the goalie scout, the pro scouts, including Paul Holmgren, believe that Steve Mason has all the tools to be the #1 goalie for the Flyers.

Feel better now?

:ph34r:

Death or Chapter 7 is the only cure for Jerry Jones-itious. A rare, but incurable disease that plagues billionaire businessmen.

All kidding aside, this team [probably] will not win with Ed Snider meddling in the hockey end of the operation. He has a trusted GM, scouts, executives, etc. Let them handle the hockey end of things. He just needs to worry about getting richer off the backs of the fans.

I can see how this is a very hated franchise from the outside looking in. They are very Cowboys-esque in their tenacity for winning, spin doctoring to the fans, over spending on useless talent, and incompetent coaching. There I said it; Lavy is wearing thin on me and I feel he is one of the many reasons why top flight free agents do not want to sign in Philly.

To alleviate any future frustration and to set the bar very low my new teams are as followed:

NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets

MLB: Miami Marlins

NFL: Cleveland Browns

Olympics: South Yemen

• Like 1

That bolded statement also is reason why they won't hire gms outside the organization. He wants guys that played here to be his puppets, making sure they make playoffs to make money. They making money part might not be true but seems like it, he's thinking one of these years the Flyers will catch a break and win it all. Just like how we almost did in 2010.

• Like 3

That sound you hear is Homer under the bus that Ed is driving.

Captain Snider: "I am shocked - SHOCKED - that Ilya Bryzgalov didn't work out. I had, of course, nothing to do with it at all."

Media: "Here are the pictures of your private jet picking up Bryz at the airport."

Captain Snider [sotto voce]: Oh, thank you very much

Captain Snider [to all]: EVERYBODY BOUGHT OUT AT ONCE!

• Like 2

@DaGreatGazoo

There was a South Yemen up till the early 90's. From what I recall it was the only Communist Country within the Arab nations/Middle East.

In any case they re-united with the "North" in 1990, but have been pushing for a secessionist movement for some time now. (Vice.com)

Now that I have utterly derailed the conversation, I think I have to smash my hard drive before the NSA comes knocking on my door.

• Like 1

That bolded part, to me, is what plagues this organization. On the one hand, they pay lip service to building from within, and showing patience. But on the other, to put the team on "high alert" to "make sure they make the playoffs" sounds a little like a contradiction in philosophy. It means that you are more focused on the very short-term situation. When your boss puts you on "high alert" and your goal is making the playoffs, then you might make moves that are not in the team's long-term interest.

Is our team, as it is right now, a playoff team? We've added Streit and Mason, and subtracted Briere and Bryz. Sign a FA forward (Gagne or other), and you're done. I think that is a team that can finish somewhere in the 6-10 range in the East.

And for the record, if they trade away Coburn, we've become that much weaker on defense. Streit makes us worse defensively (62 pts in 81 games with Montreal, and was a -6), and losing a big minute eating defenseman like Coburn with no replacement also weakens us.

Brel... thanks for posting and I would agree that the statement in bold is what causes issues w/ this Team. The only thing I find odd is that he was at the draft to ensure they made it to the playoffs next year. While that is great neither of these kids that were drafted will make the Team next year. I can see it when it comes to FA but Ed is batshart crazy if he thinks this draft will have an immediate impact.

@DaGreatGazoo

There was a South Yemen up till the early 90's. From what I recall it was the only Communist Country within the Arab nations/Middle East.

In any case they re-united with the "North" in 1990, but have been pushing for a secessionist movement for some time now. (Vice.com)

Now that I have utterly derailed the conversation, I think I have to smash my hard drive before the NSA comes knocking on my door.

If the NSA hasn't been to your door by now, I'm betting you're okay! :)

• Like 1

Point the finger all you want, the whole regime is at fault from after the Stanley Cup loss.

Richards should have never been traded, Bryz should have never been signed. Carter could have been flipped. The entire situation could be completely different if Chris Pronger did not suffer the eye injury. Your talking about top 3 defense men in the league going down, it would be equivalent to say Giroux being out for the year.

With that being said they should be on high alert. There are still a lot of solid veteran pieces that make this a win now team. Timonen, Streit, Coburn, Grossman, Mez, L Schenn (now), Hartnell, Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek.

The core is there, the clock is ticking, they should absolutely do their best to make the playoffs. Particularly when you have 3 1st round pick centers ready for 2 spots in the next 5 years.

@DaGreatGazoo

I believe it was the only "North/South" split country in which the "Communists" were on the "South" side (See, also, Vietnam, Korea).

Carry on.

:D

And once again, he completely relieves himself of taking *any* responsibility. What a shock!

And truth being told, Ed, you *were* very much involved in the decision.

Here are Snider’s quotes from June of 2011.

"It had to be done," Snider told the Daily News on June 21, 2011 in Las Vegas. "I was part of making it happen. It was hard to sit there and watch the Stanley Cup final, knowing what Tim Thomas was doing for Boston.”

"By and large, you could not spend as much on forwards or defensemen and still win. For me, the goaltender is the final piece of this team.

“Look, if you don't spend the money, you ain't going to get him. It's really that simple.”

So think again Ed before you come out and flat out lie to us.

• Like 1

Death or Chapter 7 is the only cure for Jerry Jones-itious. A rare, but incurable disease that plagues billionaire ( who think they know everything) businessmen. (There fixed it for ya! ;) )

All kidding aside, this team [probably] will not win with Ed Snider meddling in the hockey end of the operation. He has a trusted GM, scouts, executives, etc. Let them handle the hockey end of things. He just needs to worry about getting richer off the backs of the fans.

I can see how this is a very hated franchise from the outside looking in. They are very Cowboys-esque in their tenacity for winning, spin doctoring to the fans, over spending on useless talent, and incompetent coaching. There I said it; Lavy is wearing thin on me and I feel he is one of the many reasons why top flight free agents do not want to sign in Philly.

• Like 1

That sound you hear is Homer under the bus that Ed is driving.

Captain Snider: "I am shocked - SHOCKED - that Ilya Bryzgalov didn't work out. I had, of course, nothing to do with it at all."

Media: "Here are the pictures of your private jet picking up Bryz at the airport."

Captain Snider [sotto voce]: Oh, thank you very much

Captain Snider [to all]: EVERYBODY BOUGHT OUT AT ONCE!

LOL! Awesome.....oh captain my captain!

nah your ok..DGG is getting them all liquored up for ya! problem solved! :)

Not me...I only get the PA State Police and the FBI hammered. I have no time for the NSA, dirty little spies. :)

I'm pretty sure this website has just been added to some terror watch list in the last 30 mins.

• Like 1

Not me...I only get the PA State Police and the FBI hammered. I have no time for the NSA, dirty little spies. :)

I'm pretty sure this website has just been added to some terror watch list in the last 30 mins.

LOL...now we are on Obama's watch list.....is that like double secret probation from "Animal House"??? :ph34r::D

It's only a "lie" in the sense that it wasn't factually true and he knew it when he said it.

Aside from that...

Well... he just said he was not involved in a decision making and it was all on Homer and his scouts, while in actuality Ed was very much behind the entire decision to bring Bryz in. Did he directly order to go out and get Bryz? I am not sure, but this quotes from the summer of 2011 suggest he was instrumental in selecting Bryz.

Well... he just said he was not involved in a decision making and it was all on Homer and his scouts, while in actuality Ed was very much behind the entire decision to bring Bryz in. Did he directly order to go out and get Bryz? I am not sure, but this quotes from the summer of 2011 suggest he was instrumental in selecting Bryz.

I'm agreeing with you, but could have been more clear about it.

He was "lying" only in the sense that what he said was "factually incorrect" and he "knew it at the time."

Snider himself has said he was instrumental in getting Bryz - whether or not that was "go get Bryzgalov" or "go get [best goalie available on the market]" seems quite semantic.

The damning part of this is that apparently everyone in the organization thought Bryzgalov for nine years wasn't just a good idea, but essential to the long term success of the organization.

And all of those people are still there making the same decisions.

That's scary.

• Like 3