Are the Wings tough enough for the big bad East?

jammer2

Really informative article by Gregg Kruppa. Have not seen his work before, so he must be new. Guy really did some nice research here, thought our Wings fans would find it interesting.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130705/SPORTS0103/307050033/1128/sports0103/Red-Wings-can-hold-their-own-rugged-Eastern-Conference

Well there is toughness and there is toughness. I like our character in our young guys, Howard lets you know that he owns the crease. We have built size up on the back end.

And nobody can tell me that Z and Dats aren't tough. You don't have to fight to be a tough guy in this league, just keep coming back for more from the bruisers in the league and put a dagger in their hearts by scoring a game winner after taking all that they have to offer will buckle the knees of the 'tough' teams the next time they play.

For over a decade I have heard the Wings are soft, they cannot compete against the rugged teams in this division or that playoff series only to watch the Wings rise to the occasion more often than not.

Our softest player by far hands down has been Filpulla and his leaving will leave the team better off as long as he is replaced by the right guy.

We had to win our last four to even make the playoffs last year. Then we had to take on a team tough Anaheim team and defeated them in a brutally hard seven game series. Then we pushed the eventual Stanley Cup champion Black Hawks to a seventh game and overtime before finally falling, we were the only team to push the Hawks that far.

THAT is team toughness, team togetherness. Not Colton Orr or Mike Brown or any of those worthless five minute a game players. Daggers through the heart from Dats and Z after they take all you have to throw at them. That is tough enough for me.

Really informative article by Gregg Kruppa. Have not seen his work before, so he must be new. Guy really did some nice research here, thought our Wings fans would find it interesting.

http://www.detroitne...tern-Conference

interesting article jammer. thanks for sharing. Honestly I don't know how Detroit will fare being in the Eastern Conference. Obviously they have the talent. With that being said, I'm not sure how they will stack up to more physical teams in the East such as Boston / Pens / Flyers / Sens / Toronto. It is one thing to play them sporadically, but now in the conference you will being facing them on much more regularity. Should be a fun season.

The top 10 teams in hits and fighting majors during the 2012-13 regular season:

Hits

1. Toronto (East)…1,626

2. Los Angeles (West)…1,446

3. N.Y. Rangers (East)…1,413

4. Winnipeg (East)…1,411

5. Philadelphia (East)…1,316

6. Ottawa (East)…1,307

7. Phoenix (West)…1,260

8. Colorado (West)…1,241

9. Pittsburgh (East)…1,229

10. Boston (East)…1,200

29. Detroit (West)…865

Fighting majors

1. Toronto (East)…44

2. Columbus (West)…34

3. Philadelphia (East)…33

4. Boston (East)…32

5. Tampa Bay (East)…31

6. Vancouver (West)…28

7. Dallas (West)…26

7. Ottawa (East)…26

7. Winnipeg (East)…26

10. Buffalo (East)…25

10. Montreal (East)…25

29. Detroit (West)…14

Sources: NHL.com, hockeyfights.com

I can see Holland adding a more physical forward and d-man to the roster this year to add a few more hits.

I think the closer quarters style of play typical of eastern conference games will wear on the Redwings for a year , then they'll adjust and be among the top teams in the conference. there are big teams in the east that like to wear the opponents down , to my way of thinking after the Kings, Blues and sometimes the Sharks there aren't as many teams playing that bruiser type game in the West.

Detroit is a well run organization they will add durable skilled players and continue their run or excellence, but it may take a year or two to see where they are. I agree with @pilldoc that playing home and homes with the Pens and then hitting the road for the Bruins , Rangers and Flyers is a different kind of ****ty road trip than heading to Alberta to play the oil and flames, less travel miles in the east but the destinations have big hard hitting teams waiting.

Edited by mojo1917

I can see Holland adding a more physical forward and d-man to the roster this year to add a few more hits.

It is no coincidence IMHO that 6of the ten fightingest teams in the league missed the playoffs. Of the Eleven teams listed (two way tie for 10th) only two made it past the first round. Fighting is a way to entertain the fans when you have a poor product on the ice as often as not.

Hitting though is a required part of the game and is truly an area that must be improved on. We consistently finish near the bottom of the league in fighting majors and still always are right there. The concern obviously is the lack of hitting and needs to be addressed.

Carlyle put his brand on the Leafs, as he did with the Ducks, arrive at the puck at full speed and in a bad mood, his style works wonders in the regular season.

One thing I would like to point out, missing from both top tens is Chicago. Proof that if you have enough skill the rest of it does not matter.

It is no coincidence IMHO that 6of the ten fightingest teams in the league missed the playoffs. Of the Eleven teams listed (two way tie for 10th) only two made it past the first round. Fighting is a way to entertain the fans when you have a poor product on the ice as often as not.

Agree, I posted a thread several weeks ago where the league may add a 2 minute penalty for players removing their helmets to fight. Then add that to the 2 minute penalty for fighting with a visor, when visors are now becoming mandatory, and the amount of fighting in the league will diminish. Teams are will likely tire of extra pk's to kill. Although fighting minutes were up last year, I doubt that trend will continue.

One thing I would like to point out, missing from both top tens is Chicago. Proof that if you have enough skill the rest of it does not matter.

Yep, a well balanced team is what works.

@yave1964 " One thing I would like to point out, missing from both top tens is Chicago. Proof that if you have enough skill the rest of it does not matter."

That's one of the reasons I posted the article (that and the two top 10 lists looked interesting). The Wings and Hawks have proven you don't need a boatload of goons to win. The Wings will be fine, what they lack in fighters they make up for in tenacity and pure hitting ability. Ask the hundreds of Kronwalls victims if the Wings are a tough physical team or not.....the answers would all be the same.

But the Hawks also play in the West. My take on this is that in the playoffs EVERY team adjusts to a more punishing, shut the door type game style. Or at least they do if they want to survive. So yes the Hawks, Wings, or whomever can fight the East in the playoffs. But the question is... can they go the entire season playing a more physically demanding and punishing game? After so many hits, the body doesn't move the way you want it to. THAT is what remains to be seen. Can the players absorb the pounding all year long, and adjust their playing style to avoid the hits to prolong their seasons?

What I'm really looking forward to is how many time Klownwall gets his clock cleaned for his cheap antics ;) There... that should get replies flowing in. LOL

@Polaris922 The stats don't bear it out, but I *know* the Wings can hit with the best of them. Helm hits everything that comes his way, Bertuzzi is a tad slower but still a physical force....Zetts is one of the tougher stars out there, ditto for Datsuyk, Kronwall is well documented, but not many know how very tough and physical Brendan Smith is....Franzen is a load to handle when he's properly motivated. If anyone from the East thinks the Wings are panzies or will be pushed around, they are dead wrong. Cory Emmerton lays some heavy hits also. I think they get this soft rap because they are smart enough as a org to realize the Colton Orr's of the league are a waste of a roster spot.

@Polaris922 The stats don't bear it out, but I *know* the Wings can hit with the best of them. Helm hits everything that comes his way, Bertuzzi is a tad slower but still a physical force....Zetts is one of the tougher stars out there, ditto for Datsuyk, Kronwall is well documented, but not many know how very tough and physical Brendan Smith is....Franzen is a load to handle when he's properly motivated. If anyone from the East thinks the Wings are panzies or will be pushed around, they are dead wrong. Cory Emmerton lays some heavy hits also. I think they get this soft rap because they are smart enough as a org to realize the Colton Orr's of the league are a waste of a roster spot.

I'm not arguing they have a solid roster, and will be competitive. I'm more wondering if they'll have to adjust their style a little to protect their stars from being hit so much. Yeah the Franzens and such are used to it, but the Datsyuk moves to the middle and the Zetterberg slide along the boards type stuff is tougher to do without paying the price in the East. Ask Malkin. LOL So how will they hold up to the hits all season long? Maybe it's not an issue... but maybe it is. I dunno.

Personally I think they'll be fine. But it does remain to be seen.

As far as Dats goes you cant hit what you cant catch, lol.

Kronwall follows the philosophy as put forth by Gordie Howe, very publicly drill someone a couple of times a year and you get an extra step the rest of the season. He really is not as physical as everyone makes him out to be. Polaris the fact that you bring him and his 'dirty hits' in July is proving that his game is effective.

The Wings do still need to get more physical. I am not worried about the Leastern Conference, the Wings records against them have always been as good or better than against the West. Last two Champions came from the Bestern Conference, the Wings are pros and if they have to put up with a little thuggery along the way from less talented teams so be it, the Wings are pros and will take care of business.

Game on boys. Wings rule the East going forward.