Thoughts in Emery, Giroux and Vinny Deals

Guest King Knut

Nope, not a 35+ deal. More like Kovalchuk'd minus the fake punishment to the franchise.

As far as I know, there's no injury exemption to the "Luongo Rule." Pittsburgh could indeed be in deep cap trouble if Crosby is forced to retire in year 7 or 8...

Perhaps I am misreading all of the information out there regarding cap hits and injuries... but I don't see why the Penguins would be in any trouble if Crosby got hurt. He's not an over 35 contract, so the following applies:

" If a player has a legitimate long-term injury, his cap hit is still counted; however, the team is permitted to replace him with one or more players whose combined salary is equal to or less than that of the injured player, even if the additional players would put the team over the salary cap (if the team's cap room is larger than the injured player's cap hit, they may take on as much as their cap room); however, the injured player may not return to play until the team is again compliant with the original cap. All salaries still count towards the league-wide share of revenue that the players receive."

Now that's a Wikipedia quote but it's a simpler edition of what I have read on several other sites so I used it. The simple fact is as an under 35 contract, if Sid gets hurt, they can replace his cap space with other players until his injury is gone and he is reactivated. As a franchise they are out some money paying for him, sure, but that is why there is insurance. As a team, he would have zero impact on the salary cap while injured.

Am I missing something??

Edit: Also the Luongo Rule as it's referred to applies to early retirements, not injuries. "As Friedman points out…

…there may just be a loophole. From what I understand, Long-Term Injury Reserve still exists. (For example, it allows
to come off the Philadelphia cap while he recovers from concussions).

God forbid Luongo (or anyone else) goes through that. But he will be 40 in the summer of 2019. Who knows what happens to a goalie’s body by then? Maybe he’s had enough and is battling some nagging groin or hip or knee problem. He goes on LTIR, still gets paid and neither Toronto nor Vancouver gets any kind of penalty.
Edited by Polaris922