Depth Chart not as bad as I first envisioned

Guest Hockey Junkie

Though I do not have a crystal ball and cannot see what will happen with Miller and Vanek? The biggest decision to be made in this franchise maybe ever. I would not in any way let them go, play out this season and see how the new players gel with the veterans. But Buffalo is due to make some type of a move. The 360 on Sulzer now staying is baffling to me. Maybe they decided to keep him for depth in case of injuries on defense? Far more questions than answers and plenty to worry about in the immediate. But the Sabres have drawn some praise for moving forward down the road. Hopefully these two draft picks live up to their expectations.

Happy to see Roy in St Louis. Wish him well

I think it would be a mistake to trade Myers or Vanek. The Sabres' lineup is tough for me to read. There's definitely talent there. Adding Tallinder is a solid defensive move... Grigorenko shows promise, Ott brings grit and leadership, Stafford and Hodgson have scoring touch as well as Vanek... I don't know if its the lack of a superstar talent or what but I always see the Sabres as fighting for the bottom playoff spots.

What do you guys think would be a move that could make the Sabres a true contender? Or do you feel they already are??

Two nice drafts in a row, a solid nucleus, I think the Sabres are on the right path and guys like Vanek and Myers are a big part of it. Curious about reacquiring Tallinder, he will help with the transition to the kids from this years draft I just am not sure if he has much in the tank. Other than that I think it has been a solid offseason.

Regier has something up his sleeve but I do not have a clue what?

That's ok Reiger doesn't have a clue either! Worst GM in the league hands down. How the guy has been able to keep his job for all these years without producing anything other than one trip to the Cup Finals is beyond me.

Edited by Samifan

No way in the world is he the worst. Are you kidding? He has stockpiled draft picks for players on their way out. Like the Pommenville deal as an example. I could say the same for Holmgren who has wasted more money than any GM, and had to buy out Bryz's contract in one of the worst moves in recent history. He gets my vote for the worst GM

I am no fan of Homer, but the Flyers have been to the Cup Final, Conference Final, two Semifinals, a First round exit and missed the playoffs once while the Sabres haven't made it out of the first round since 06-07 and missed the playoffs four of six years.

No doubt Homer takes some votes from Darcy, but it's Darcy's award to lose now than Howson and Waddell are out of the league.

Flyers are also set to make a serious run back to the playoffs while Darcy's talking about a "painful period" and "more suffering." Frankly, he's lucky the Flyers signed Bryz to get people forgetting about the Leino deal.

I don't think Ruff was cut out to coach a young, developing team. He was addition by subtraction - and I like him as a coach (unlike many of my fellow Flyer fans).

Also, Pominville wasn't "on his way out" - he still has another year on his deal.

Holmgren is the product of the deep pockets and win now mentality of Flyers ownership. Everyone knew the Bryzgalov signing was a huge mistake but most believe the mandate for Holmgren to sign him came from Snider. Despite his flaws, Holmgren can at least say his team is usually a playoff team unlike the Sabres. Sabres haven't had a crack at the cup since 99, Flyers last shot was 2010.

Reiger did not even conduct a search for a new head coach this summer, just appointed the interim guy.

Sabres seem like a team that needs to stay the course, be patient with the kids, keep the core intact (except for Miller, he needs to be moved!). Hopefully the fans are patient and realize good things are on the horizen. I really liked their draft(s) the past few years. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Sabres seem like a team that needs to stay the course, be patient with the kids, keep the core intact (except for Miller, he needs to be moved!). Hopefully the fans are patient and realize good things are on the horizen. I really liked their draft(s) the past few years. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

This is where I think Ruff has to take some hits. Is there a young player that Ruff developed into a successful NHLer? Must be, I'm sure. But it's kinda like Hitchcock. I can find a few guys for Hitchcock (Langenbrunner, Lehtinen) but they are few and far between.

They should have gone with a full on youth movement this year - building around Vanek/Pominville for leadership if they needed to. The whole team was going in a different direction than the head coach.

They should have been a better (young) team this year than they were.

@Hockey Junkie The Sabres are fortunate to get the haul for Pominville at the deadline. Outright theivery in the Sabres favour. Hackett is gonna be a terrific goalie in this league. Johan Larrson looks like a legit forward prospect AND Zhadrov....that is outright larceny!! Darcy set this team up with that deal, just a prime example of how ko ko GM's are to make the big push before the playoffs!!