Where does Grabovski land?

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/06/several-teams-interested-in-grabovski-agent

I almost want the sharks to put a feeler offer out. Just a 1 year "let's see how you do" contract

I know we are heavy at center, but that is just how our coach likes it. Most of them can play win and that let's 3 lines cheat at faceoffs

I don't believe a word his agent is saying, btw. I really think he's simply doing his best to drum up interest in a player no one is interested in.

I doubt nobody is interested in him.

The Sharks in Particular would not mind having a 25 goal, 60 point scorer provided he would take a 1 year contract as low as 2 Mill to prove he can hit that level again. I suspect a few teams would be thinking along those lines for the potential

I doubt nobody is interested in him.

Fair enough. I still don't believe the agent. I think there may be a team or maybe two, but they're probably talking in the range (or less if they're smart) you are and he's trying to raise the price/make him look more attractive than he actually is. ("Well, okay, go ahead and think about the apartment, but I have three couples looking at it tonight").

I do, however, think there is good betting odds that you'd hate him before a year was over if he signed in SJ. Then again, you like Joe Thornton so maybe you like floaters. :ph34r:

(C'mon, I had to)

Fair enough. I still don't believe the agent. I think there may be a team or maybe two, but they're probably talking in the range (or less if they're smart) you are and he's trying to raise the price/make him look more attractive than he actually is. ("Well, okay, go ahead and think about the apartment, but I have three couples looking at it tonight").

I do, however, think there is good betting odds that you'd hate him before a year was over if he signed in SJ. Then again, you like Joe Thornton so maybe you like floaters. :ph34r:

(C'mon, I had to)

I am soooo used to those comments from my friends :)

@J0e Th0rnton The Leafs never used Grabo properly. Whoever signs him to a one year deal will be lining up to resign him to a multi year deal the year after. Played a nice solid series against the Bruins also.

That's kinda why i want us to take a shot at him. We lost Clowe and we need a bit of Depth

I only wish the Oilers would sign him to a contract... In a better world, they'd have signed Grabovski, moved Sam Gagner to LW, and not traded PRV to St. Louis... What happened with Grabovski is pretty silly, imo. He took the tough draws in his own end (36.7% zone start) against the toughs, with weak teammates, and STILL had the puck moving the right way the majority of the time; but is then chided for seeing his scoring numbers take a hit.

Kadri had a very nice season, but he also did it by standing on Grabovski's shoulders: somebody had to take all of the draws in their own end against the toughs and move the puck out of the Leafs end so the kid could take the majority of the offensive zone faceoffs and get the best kick at the can, offensively. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's smart to shelter kids when there's another who can do it and do it well.

The problem is that Grabovski ended up being treated like a disappointment, Bozak like a hero, and Kadri like a wunderkind.

The other thing which grabs me is a table of the 18 players who played at least 200 minutes with Bozak or Grabovski:

Screen-Shot-2013-07-04-at-5.22.58-PM.png

17 of the 18 had a better GF/GA% with Grabovski than with Bozak, and all 18 had a better CorsiFor% with Grabovski than with Bozak.

I have no idea what Grabovski wants for money, but it seems odd that not a single GM has been able to sign him. He's a good player run off by a team that really made a mistake.

JR

• Like 1

I have no idea what Grabovski wants for money, but it seems odd that not a single GM has been able to sign him. He's a good player run off by a team that really made a mistake.

JR

This really just confirms what I've seen in Grabo in the games I watched. I think the guy is far from a floater, he is actually pretty effective defensively and is a competitor. He just really didn't get along with Carlyle. Before the Wings signed Alfredsson and Weiss I had hopes that they were going to go after Grabo because he plays exactly the type of game the Wings like. I hope that he finds a job with an NHL squad and sticks around after, because he would be a major loss to the league if he left for the KHL.

I am really shocked the Capitals haven't snatched this guy up, they really need a replacement for Ribiero and I know Johansen is supposedly expected to be the second line centre next season but Grabo would be the perfect insurance.

• Like 1

This really just confirms what I've seen in Grabo in the games I watched. I think the guy is far from a floater, he is actually pretty effective defensively and is a competitor. He just really didn't get along with Carlyle. Before the Wings signed Alfredsson and Weiss I had hopes that they were going to go after Grabo because he plays exactly the type of game the Wings like. I hope that he finds a job with an NHL squad and sticks around after, because he would be a major loss to the league if he left for the KHL.

After the Leafs paid Grabovski to leave, I thought the Wings would be right after him, especially with losing Filppula. Certainly, the Wings have never had a bias against this type of player. Must have wanted more than they could pay.

JR

@JR Ewing That was my first thought, Grabo would have been a perfect fit on the Wings, was shocked to not see Holland jump on him. Must have wanted to much, that's all I could figure. His defense first approach also seemed perfect for how the Wings play all 3 zones efficently.

After the Leafs paid Grabovski to leave, I thought the Wings would be right after him, especially with losing Filppula. Certainly, the Wings have never had a bias against this type of player. Must have wanted more than they could pay.

JR

It probably had to do more with how highly they viewed Weiss, or that they wanted to address their center issue as early as possible in free agency. If I remember correctly, Grabo was kind of busy getting married on July 5th. Or maybe they just don't like Grabo as much as I (we) do.

As a Wing fan the choice between Weiss and Grabo was a slam dunk no brainer. Weiss has toiled in obscurity and I truly believe at 4.9 mill was a damn good pickup, and would take him all day long over any other centre who was available.

I'd love for the Caps to try to give him a one year deal like Joe was saying, but it seems McPhee is pretty set with this roster, and I'm still not sure why. But I guess ya never know.

• Like 1

As a Wing fan the choice between Weiss and Grabo was a slam dunk no brainer. Weiss has toiled in obscurity and I truly believe at 4.9 mill was a damn good pickup, and would take him all day long over any other centre who was available.

I hope you're right. I think Weiss is a bit of risk, since he missed so much time with the wrist injury and really didn't play well even when he was healthy. Hopefully he can fully rehab the wrist over the summer and come back fully charged in the new season.

Last I heard, he had 1 single offer....from the KHL.

Maybe his comments on the way out the door hurt him more than he expected they would. Because I really can't see why that would be the case otherwise.

• Like 1

Maybe his comments on the way out the door hurt him more than he expected they would. Because I really can't see why that would be the case otherwise.

Could be.

Still I find it hard to believe someone won't take a chance on him. He may need to lower his salary expectations given his poor season statistically.

Like I was saying in the Leafs forum, I fully expect whatever team grabs (pun intended) him to be very happy with that choice. I just hope it's a team Toronto doesn't have to face too often, judging by the way he would often up his game against Montreal...

• Like 1

Could be.

Still I find it hard to believe someone won't take a chance on him. He may need to lower his salary expectations given his poor season statistically.

Like I was saying in the Leafs forum, I fully expect whatever team grabs (pun intended) him to be very happy with that choice. I just hope it's a team Toronto doesn't have to face too often, judging by the way he would often up his game against Montreal...

I think he'll likely have to, but disagree about his year statistically speaking. His boxcar numbers were underwhelming, but a look under the hood shows that he had an extremely tough job to do with low quality teammates, and did it very well. It was because Grabovski was able to do so that Kadri was able to get all of the gravy zone starts with good linemates.

Unless I've missed something: who's going to play those minutes now?

JR

I think he'll likely have to, but disagree about his year statistically speaking. His boxcar numbers were underwhelming, but a look under the hood shows that he had an extremely tough job to do with low quality teammates, and did it very well. It was because Grabovski was able to do so that Kadri was able to get all of the gravy zone starts with good linemates.

Unless I've missed something: who's going to play those minutes now?

JR

You're right about Grabovski taking the tough minutes, that's for sure. When I said statistically I was referring to his offensive numbers in comparison to what they had been in the past. I thought Grabo did a decent job in the role he was given, but it's obvious it didn't completely agree to him (based on the loud noises in his "exit" interview).

If I had to guess I'd say Leafs' brass expects Bolland to fill this role. For better or for worse. I'd say by Bolland's type of game he is more suited to the style Carlyle had Grabo playing than Grabo himself was, but I'll be honest - I'm by no means an expert on Bolland with limited viewings of the Hawks.

Edited by Commander Clueless

You're right about Grabovski taking the tough minutes, that's for sure. When I said statistically I was referring to his offensive numbers in comparison to what they had been in the past. I thought Grabo did a decent job in the role he was given, but it's obvious it didn't completely agree to him (based on the loud noises in his "exit" interview).

Haha!

Yeah, that's putting it mildly. The man was seriously ticked off.

JR

• Like 1