Regier is pissing me off

Buffalo Rick

The sad part is, Holmgrens team has 12 rounds of playoff hockey in that time frame and we're calling for his head. Regiers team has TWO rounds of playoff hockey and you're OK with that.

I would not say we are OK with it. Most in Buffalo are calling for his head. I am not one of them because I know what else is out there. And I know he has done the right things most of the time and he has not had money since just over a year ago. He has not had the Rangers payroll.

Once again, I am not OK with it. But he should have had the Cup here in 06 and only injuries prevented it. That game 7 loss to Carolina with Edmonton awaiting the winner with no chance. Regier has made the right moves lately and since he has had money, only a little over a year, he has really not done anything major wrong except fire Lindy. I dont like seeing that punk coaching our team but what can I do.

@Hockey Junkie

He couldn't even make the playoffs with the "Rangers" payroll. 16 years is a long time to be mediocre.

Mediocre? He almost got a team he built to the Finals, you know, once... six or seven years ago.

Sure, they've only gotten to the playoffs twice since then and have never been out of the first round, but that's clearly something to build on.

Six or seven years ago...

I don't think I jettison either Miller or Vanek. First of all, I do think they have a chance to be a bubble team. If the ultimate goal is to win the Cup, then yeah, crap the whole thing and start fresh.

The problem is that you do need to sell tickets in the interim. Minus Miller and Vanek, what do they got? I know HJ wants to talk about Ott and Myers, but they're not going to sell any tickets. They are good, but only good, and really nothing to build a team around.

I think they can build without necessarily having to tank and run the risk of being Calgary or Edmonton for a few years. Plus, I don't think think that there is a very good market for goalies. I know Vancouver got a top 10 pick for Schneider but Miller is no longer young. I just don't see much of a market for him. If there were, he probably wouldn't even be a Sabre right now.

Keep Miller and Vanek to keep some fantasy of trying while you're building the team.

I am not going to throw in the towel and just discount this roster as having no shot. I could do the same to your team saying you have no defense and no goalie. Surprises happen every year in the NHL. Tell Steve Ott they have no chance.

I'm honestly not trying to say this in the "my daddy can beat up your daddy sense," but I think objectively, the Flyers are in much better shape than the Sabres. And I frankly don't think the Flyers are really in great shape. I look at your roster and I really have no idea what your GM is doing. Ott and Myers are good (not great...good) and Vanek is really good. It's really hard to say what you have right now with Miller. Was this year a fluke? Highly possible. Or is it a guy in decline? Also possible, but I'm going to vote for the first option. But after that, it really is a poor excuse for an NHL roster.

As a fan of the team, I respect you hoping for the best. I'm not expecting either team to make the playoffs, but I'd give better odds to Philly.

Keep Miller and Vanek to keep some fantasy of trying while you're building the team.

Sabres fans are ridiculously loyal - as Buffalonians tend to be.

Again, the time to have dealt either Miller or Vanek - if you were going to - was predraft. Unless someone blows your doors off now, there's little to be gained.

At the deadline, however, as both are pending UFAs, I think - if the team is "out of contention" - you simply have to take a longer, harder look and probably deal at least one of them.

I have a feeling they try to re-up Miller and send Vanek to a "contender".

A team missing the playoffs - at that point - five of seven years and not making it out of the first round the other two isn't likely to be high on Vanek's UFA list, regardless of "loyalty".

• Like 1

Again, the time to have dealt either Miller or Vanek - if you were going to - was predraft. Unless someone blows your doors off now, there's little to be gained.

Yeah, I noticed you say that in a different post. I think that's quite accurate.

@ruxpin " I'm not expecting either team to make the playoffs, but I'd give better odds to Philly."

You are not alone, Vegas has the Sabres at 100-1 odds of winning it all, tied for 2nd last with the lowly Panthers. We however, a much more respectable 40-1 :D

http://www.vegasinsi...l/odds/futures/

I do think the oddsmakers are wrong with us. We should be around 20-1 and will make the playoffs. Our defense was decimated last year, we had Bryz the siv......if those two factors alone are fixed, (well, at least one is for sure, lady luck is a different story) we should have made it last year. Plus, we have not seen the best Giroux yet, he's still on the rise, ditto for Schenn, Coots, Simmonds, Voracek etc...you get the picture, more goals coming, and no Bryz....we will make the playoffs, I'm sure of it.

Two Eastern conference finals and one finals is CERTAINLY OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!

The finals was his first year....he hardly built that team. When you miss the playoffs every other year you're not doing a good job.

@ruxpin " I'm not expecting either team to make the playoffs, but I'd give better odds to Philly."

You are not alone, Vegas has the Sabres at 100-1 odds of winning it all, tied for 2nd last with the lowly Panthers. We however, a much more respectable 40-1 :D

http://www.vegasinsi...l/odds/futures/

I do think the oddsmakers are wrong with us. We should be around 20-1 and will make the playoffs. Our defense was decimated last year, we had Bryz the siv......if those two factors alone are fixed, (well, at least one is for sure, lady luck is a different story) we should have made it last year. Plus, we have not seen the best Giroux yet, he's still on the rise, ditto for Schenn, Coots, Simmonds, Voracek etc...you get the picture, more goals coming, and no Bryz....we will make the playoffs, I'm sure of it.

That is not accurte info. Yes they are longshots but there are many below them

Reporting what the actual oddsmakers are saying is pretty much the definition of "accurte info."

If you think they're wrong, bet on it. That's why they set odds on it.

Maybe the odds would be better if Regier, you know, signed the team's #1 center?

Reporting what the actual oddsmakers are saying is pretty much the definition of "accurte info."

If you think they're wrong, bet on it. That's why they set odds on it.

Maybe the odds would be better if Regier, you know, signed the team's #1 center?

You mean Hodgeson? I have not heard anything but he will get signed. I have no doubt.