Luongo Gets New Agent- Fans Nervous

goalnut3133

It was announced yesterday that Luongo has decided to switch from his old agent Gilles Lupien to heavyweights JP Barry & Pat Brisson of CAA Sports. This has gotten some Vancouver fans nervous as it seemed odd to make the change now, when he still has 9 yrs & 40+ mil left on his contract. It's been speculated that the only reason may be to negotiate for better endorsements, but other than that? In a poll taken this morning on sports radio, 63% of the fans thought this could be a harbinger of things to come. Maybe they could help him better in a 'stand off' against the 'Nucks?

Other sources however have said that Brisson has stated that Lu is preparing to be at camp. Hopefully, this is true.

http://www.vancouver...3065/story.html

http://www.cbssports...g-to-be-at-camp

This has gotten some Vancouver fans nervous

I am not surprised they are nervous... I think this could be the start of Bobby Lou becoming a little more pro-active in getting himself traded out of Vancouver, I just don't see him staying with the Canucks long term.

@EDI-Flyer I don`t blame the guy in a way. They publically shop him around the league like he`s yesterday`s news, and then want to cozy up after netting the number 9 pick at the draft and shipping out Cory. This after he made it clear he did not want to be there. On one hand, he`s a pro and accepted the trade to Van way back when, but this is really streching the boundaries of team loyality.

• Like 2

@EDI-Flyer Yah, the comments were that these big-league agents will probably advise him to stay in Van for 1 yr & play huge like a #1 goalie should, knock off 6 mil off his contract, gain a good solid pro reputation again, then he'll be in a better position to field offers from the teams out there who want to take him on...this sounds likely...

@jammer2 I don't blame Luongo at all, the team has treated him like crap, totally disrespected him, and now they expect him just to forgive and forget? I don't think so. Sure, he will play some games for them but he will be gone sooner or later IMO.

@goalnut3133 I think there are teams that would happily take him, even with the cap hit. But for this to happen the Canucks need to realise that they are only going to get pennies on the dollar in trade terms. Gillis needs to seriously have a word with himself over his management of this situation. Or better still the Aquilini brothers need to have a word with him. Italian origin guys with construction companies... hmmmm... I'd be getting nervous if I was Gillis!

@goalnut3133 I think there are teams that would happily take him, even with the cap hit. But for this to happen the Canucks need to realise that they are only going to get pennies on the dollar in trade terms. Gillis needs to seriously have a word with himself over his management of this situation. Or better still the Aquilini brothers need to have a word with him. Italian origin guys with construction companies... hmmmm... I'd be getting nervous if I was Gillis!

Hahahaha....yah I'll say! Hey wouldn't it be the weirdest if we got Bryz & you got LU??!! LOL!!

I still think he will be back with a vengeance next season, if not Eddie Lack nor anyone else in the organization can do the job. Self created mess by the Canucks, they have taken a team that was Stanley Cup caliber and allowed outside distractions of their own creation tear them apart. As presently constituted I cannot see them ever again being anything other than a easy first round out. And it is a damn shame the fans and the players deserve better.

• Like 2

As presently constituted I cannot see them ever again being anything other than a easy first round out.

Yes, or worse. I may switch to Columbus yet. No representation here. An underdog also but at least they have a fighting chance! (Just gotta get over that Horton trade though...an ex-Bostonite...yeesh!)

I still think he will be back with a vengeance next season, if not Eddie Lack nor anyone else in the organization can do the job. Self created mess by the Canucks, they have taken a team that was Stanley Cup caliber and allowed outside distractions of their own creation tear them apart. As presently constituted I cannot see them ever again being anything other than a easy first round out. And it is a damn shame the fans and the players deserve better.

So true, Luongo could also have a solid first half of the season to capture the #1 goaltender position for Canada. So if I run with that idea and @goalnut3133 's first post that states his new agent was obtained to help with endorsements.

Also, maybe Gillis stated to him in the meeting that he could still be traded or bought out next season, but "this" season he needs Luongo to be the #1 nettender?

Yes, or worse. I may switch to Columbus yet. No representation here. An underdog also but at least they have a fighting chance! (Just gotta get over that Horton trade though...an ex-Bostonite...yeesh!)

ha. wearing the paper bag already?

You wouldn't be the first person on this forum to root for more than one team. ;)

ha. wearing the paper bag already?

You wouldn't be the first person on this forum to root for more than one team. ;)

...as goalnut sheepishly slides CBJ into the Favourite Team spot....out with the old, in with the Blue... :P

Lupien (Luongo's previous agent), told the Globe and Mail’s Roy MacGregor. “I’ve never seen a star treated like that. I think personally he’s been treated like a piece of paper, a fourth-line player.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/25/ex-agent-luongo-treated-like-a-piece-of-paper-a-fourth-line-player-by-vancouver/related/

@jammer2 I don't blame Luongo at all, the team has treated him like crap, totally disrespected him, and now they expect him just to forgive and forget? I don't think so. Sure, he will play some games for them but he will be gone sooner or later IMO.

And that's just it. I heard Gillis talking about how they weren't just to give him away, and I thought "What, a team has to give you a quality piece AND take your cap troubles?" It's not going to happen. Dealing players is like selling a house: anything can be sold as long as it's at the right price. If it sits on the market for a long time, you can be sure the asking price was just too high.

JR

Wait, what?? When did you become a Wild fan? I always just assumed you were a Flyers fan!

Oh I still am. ;)

Grew up a North Stars fan in MN. I like what the Wild are doing keeping local players. Thus I'm a fan of both teams.

Probably better described as simply just a hockeyfan. :D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

And another miracle will happen if Torts keeps his ego and temper in check and produces a big turn around in the Canucks slow slide to second tier.

Hey Welcome!

I think this will be an interesting season for the Canucks. Torts usually has a decent season in his first year with a new team. But there is reason to be concerned. How do the Sedins fit with Torts? Do they re-sign with Vancouver or test Free Agency next season?

And who is your back up goaltender? I don't think Luongo can carry the team for the whole season.

@nhldave Welcome to the forum!! Great to see another Nucks fan in here!

I'll start out by saying I'm a huge Bo Horvat fan. I repeatedly said he would go in the top 10 despite his mid round ranking. He will have a terrific career, and he very well could turn out to be your captain in a few years. Having said all that, the price paid was to steep. Once you find a young franchise goalie you just don't let him go. The chance to have one, may never come again....just ask any exasperated Flyer fan. This was a huge miscalculation. When Schneider was on, he was unbeatable at times last year. Cory spent a lot of time in the AHL, but as an NHL goalie, he was not even close to peaking.

The play here was to get Luongo off the payroll by any means necessary (even if the had to pay to do it!)....keep the young star goalie and use the cap space to upgrade the depth behind the Sedin's. Just my take.

Thanks for the welcomes, HF10 and Spitfires :)

I am not a Torts fan and think it dreadful that the Canucks brought him on board. But what's done is done and the best I can hope for is that I'm either all wrong about Torts or that he has had something of a miraculous makeover in the personality department somewhere along the way to Vancouver.

I'm wondering if maybe Bo Horvat has the both the grittyness and front of net scoring touch that might persuade Torts to give him a go with the Sedins at training camp. It's probably too much for him at this point but I'd sure like the Canucks to give him a try with the Sedins. As for the goal tending backup I think Eddie Lack will really be challenged by Joakim Eriksson given the latter's impressive results last season. BTW Spitfires I agree with you the price paid for Horvat was too high.

So if Lack and Eriksson both pan out it out would suggest yet another Gillis created Luongo circus starting with the trade deadline and extending into next summer.

@nhldave "I'm wondering if maybe Bo Horvat has the both the grittyness and front of net scoring touch that might persuade Torts to give him a go with the Sedins at training camp. It's probably too much for him at this point but I'd sure like the Canucks to give him a try with the Sedins."

I really see Horvat as a natural center, so I don't know how he would adjust to the wing. Playing with talent like the Sedin's would certainly make the transition easier though. It is possible, cause there has never really been a perfect fit there, Burrows was never the real answer there, the twins made him into a viable option, but I really think the twins need to be paired with a super smart player, and that has Horvat written all over it. He just could crack the Nucks line up, he is 6'0 and goes 206 lbs, so he's not small for NHL standards, just average. The important part to Bo's game is being strong on the puck, so it will be interesting if that portion of his game is there from the get go.

@jammer2 "Having said all that, the price paid was to steep. Once you find a young franchise goalie you just don't let him go. The chance to have one, may never come again....just ask any exasperated Flyer fan. This was a huge miscalculation. When Schneider was on, he was unbeatable at times last year. Cory spent a lot of time in the AHL, but as an NHL goalie, he was not even close to peaking."

I agree & that is a very scary thought. What's even scarier is if we end up in the end with Bryz! And I agree Cory had not hit his peak yet. It will be interesting to see how much time he really gets in net with NJ this season. And then of course, you have Brodeur's son waiting in the wings...

@nhldave "I am not a Torts fan and think it dreadful that the Canucks brought him on board. But what's done is done and the best I can hope for is that I'm either all wrong about Torts or that he has had something of a miraculous makeover in the personality department somewhere along the way to Vancouver."

I totally agree there! Never know what you're gonna get with Torts.

I'm also hoping to see Joakim play in net for us this season, always good to see new talent there. Just hasn't had much NHL experience.

I expect Cory to have a 60/40 split with Brodeur. I got the impression (which might not be correct) that NJ selected his son as a sign of respect. I'd be shocked to see him in the NJ nets anytime in the next 2 years. I compare it to the Tigers in baseball, who selected Manager JIm Leyland's son, and then 10 rounds later selected announcer Rod Allen's son. They are all legit prospects, but in reality, they would probably not have been selected by their respective teams had it not been for their famous fathers.