Nonis gets a 5 year extension

Scorpion

Other than buy out Grabovski. :wacko:

How could he not trade him for something?

Salary was too high given out by Burke... Nobody was going to take him at that price without a sweetener like a draft pick or something.

Jeez, Craig MacTavish was able to get a player AND a pick for Shawn Horcoff, and he didn't have to cover any salary. Two separate deals. of course, but Grabovski's in the prime of his career, and Horcoff has tons of miles on him.

JR

Jeez, Craig MacTavish was able to get a player AND a pick for Shawn Horcoff, and he didn't have to cover any salary. Two separate deals. of course, but Grabovski's in the prime of his career, and Horcoff has tons of miles on him.

JR

haha.

Well, I would take Grabs on the Sharks. Underrated and badly misused by coach

The odd part about all this is, Nonis had 2 years remaining on his current deal. What was the gigantic rush here. Wait a while and get an accurate reads on his drafts, trading and UFA signings. Information is knowledge, why judge him on one year as GM when you can do a proper evaluation for 2.5 years, if he does a good job, extend him in late 2014. Puzzling, really. Even if the deem him "their" man, this was not smart timing wise.

The odd part about all this is, Nonis had 2 years remaining on his current deal. What was the gigantic rush here. Wait a while and get an accurate reads on his drafts, trading and UFA signings. Information is knowledge, why judge him on one year as GM when you can do a proper evaluation for 2.5 years, if he does a good job, extend him in late 2014. Puzzling, really. Even if the deem him "their" man, this was not smart timing wise.

I don't see the rush, let him manage the team for at least an entire season before you back up a truck to his house.

btw, anybody else find it funny that in 2013, TSN named him the NHL's worst GM and Sports Illustrated named him the league's best?

JR

@flyercanuck This being the same board members at MLSE that approved the huge extension for John Fergie Jr one year into his mutli year deal. I'm sure Nonis is not *that* bad, but it shows how you need either a strong owner or President to preside over this kinda stuff.

@JR Ewing

Wilson never got the Leafs into the playoffs, was given an extension, then fired 2 months later. Now that's some fine planning.

In their defence, at the time of the extension the Leafs were securely in a playoff position, believe it was late December. Everyone remembers the freefall that took place in Jan-Feb-Mar that year. Could not have been predicted, and the Wilson extension was only for one year, which is hardly bad planning.

@Scorpion "Everyone remembers the freefall that took place in Jan-Feb-Mar that year. Could not have been predicted"

I predicted it, based on the 5 previous seasons where the did a free fall in Jan-Feb and then came on like gang busters, recking their draft positon each and every year. I think Wilson got the extension due to being Burke's buddy, not results, which is a horrible way to run a team, just my theory.

• Like 1