2014 free Agents

Guest J0e Th0rnton

Figured we could use a thread to track people on the last year of their contracts this season. We can remove them as players resign contracts, discuss if they are likely to resign with their current teams at a discount or test the Market, if they are due for a raise or have dropped in value, etc

Ill cut and paste it from Capgeek

Edit: I stopped it at guys who make less than 2 million.

Heatley, Dany » Gaborik, Marian » Vanek, Thomas » Thornton, Joe » Marleau, Patrick » Lundqvist, Henrik » Bouwmeester, Jay » Boyle, Dan » Stastny, Paul » Phaneuf, Dion » Miller, Ryan » Sedin, Henrik » Sedin, Daniel » Timonen, Kimmo » Cammalleri, Mike » Iginla, Jarome » Kiprusoff, Miikka » Markov, Andrei » Alfredsson, Daniel » Kessel, Phil » Pominville, Jason » Gionta, Brian » Hemsky, Ales » Legwand, David » Pitkanen, Joni » Jokinen, Olli » Whitney, Ray » Brodeur, Martin » Hiller, Jonas » Michalek, Milan » Callahan, Ryan » Pavelski, Joe » Roy, Derek » Meszaros, Andrej » Zidlicky, Marek » Jagr, Jaromir » Quincey, Kyle » Halak, Jaroslav » Salo, Sami » Orpik, Brooks » Koivu, Saku » Hjalmarsson, Niklas » Dubnyk, Devan » Stajan, Matt » Schultz, Nick » Mitchell, Willie » Tallinder, Henrik » Bolland, Dave » Steen, Alexander » Girardi, Dan » Robidas, Stephane » Nabokov, Evgeni » Seidenberg, Dennis » Ericsson, Jonathan » Moulson, Matt » Phillips, Chris » Jokinen, Jussi » Setoguchi, Devin » Vrbata, Radim » Samuelsson, Mikael » Klesla, Rostislav » Ott, Steve » Greene, Matt » Kulemin, Nikolai » Morris, Derek » Crawford, Corey » Downie, Steve » Stempniak, Lee » Cogliano, Andrew » Niskanen, Matt » Smyth, Ryan » Nikitin, Nikita » Moss, David » Bertuzzi, Todd » Bouchard, Pierre-Marc » Khabibulin, Nikolai » Vokoun, Tomas » Penner, Dustin » Sarich, Cory » Emelin, Alexei » Elliott, Brian »

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

Posted · Hidden by hf101, July 28, 2013 - Topic content format to be fixed.
Hidden by hf101, July 28, 2013 - Topic content format to be fixed.

WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THAT....I NEED TO LAY DOWN FOR A NAP AFTER LOOKING AT THAT! :D

From the Sharks perspective. This year is certainly the last chance for this Corps. The following are UFA

Thornton has always resigned at a discount. In the days when second rate players like Drury and Gomez were rawing 7 million dollar contracts, and top talent like Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin were drawing closer to 9 million, Thornton was still in Hart Discussions and in the top 10 in scoring. And he signed an extension for less than Gomez to stay with the team. A lot of Shark fans were surprised at how low he signed for because talk was we could not keep him and Marleau. But he told the media he signed so low so that they could keep other members of the team and put together a winner. Hope SJ keeps him for his loyalty, and that he resigns for around 6 million a year. his contracts have always been short, 3 year affairs. He never cared for length of contracts like others did. But he does want no movement clauses and i suspect he still has a few more top seasons left in him.

Patrick Marleau: Not quite the same scenario. He signed for more than I thought he was worth in his last contract, and he is a, well, point leach. He has skills, but overall he is not the game breaker Joe is. If he stays, it better be at a bigger discount. Plays wing or Center

Joe Pavelski: Yikes. He is up already. If 20-50 nets you 4 Million+ a year, what do you give to a 30/60 who plays with nobody on the 3rd line and is exceptional defensively? Definitely up for a raise. And with Couture deservingly extended......

Dan Boyle: Stick a fork in him. He is done. Just kidding :) However, his mobility is definitely not what it used to be and his age is showing more and more every season. He will not be getting that kind of contract again. He is average defensively and was one of the best offensively, but that time has passed.

http://capgeek.com/sharks

Joe gets most his points on the PP doesn't he?

Which joe? Jumbo Joe T or Little Joe P?

Jumbo Depends on the year. Maybe around a bit less than half. Joe's strength tends to be his ES play keeping the ice titled the other way, but he is not as much of a PP threat anymore since he rarely shoots. Granted this past half season, half of his points came from the PP. But the season before that, Only 23 of his 77 points were PP points. The year before that, 33 of his 70 points were power play. The year before that, 29 of his 89 points were PP.

If it is Little Joe you mean, Then no, not usually.

Thanks for the list. So the top free agents for next yar as I see them are:

Marleau

Thornton

Pavelski

Boyle

Vanek

Lundquist

Henrik

Daniel

Kessel

WOW. What a class. Of course most if not all of these guys will resign before next July. As a Wing fan, the Sedin twins would be a nice addition to our own 'Little Stockholm.'

Thanks for the list. So the top free agents for next yar as I see them are:

Marleau

Thornton

Pavelski

Boyle

Vanek

Lundquist

Henrik

Daniel

Kessel

WOW. What a class. Of course most if not all of these guys will resign before next July. As a Wing fan, the Sedin twins would be a nice addition to our own 'Little Stockholm.'

The Sedin twins create quite a pickle for people who want to sign them. They go as a pair, or not at all according to the grapevine.

You need 13+ million just to have a shot at 2 players....

If the Sharks lose a combination of There stable of free agents they would have the money. As a Sharks fan if you lose Thornton/or Marleau and either Pavelski/Boyle would you sign the Sedins?? Can you iagine losing Marleau and Boyle but having a top line of Thornton and the two Sedins? And would it be worth it?

If the Sharks lose a combination of There stable of free agents they would have the money. As a Sharks fan if you lose Thornton/or Marleau and either Pavelski/Boyle would you sign the Sedins?? Can you iagine losing Marleau and Boyle but having a top line of Thornton and the two Sedins? And would it be worth it?

Thornton is still a great player and the ice tilts when he is on it into the offensive zone. Drawing the best defensive coverage. I have always felt Marleau is riding his coattails. I could stand losing Marleau. Thornton and the Sedins would not be on the same line :) Thornton can produce no matter who is on his line, and he often does.

Losing Boyle is more problematic since we will need a new Offensive Dman if Demers has not developped more

This reminds me of the past few years when everybody and their mother was all ga ga about the availability of Getzlaf and Perry. I repeatedly stated over and over again they would be resigned....but it took 1000 meaningless threads before it happened. The Sedin's will be locked up by the Nucks or traded, but since they are locked at the hip for life, I don't see how any one team could swing signing both of them, and with their horrid playoff performances, why would ya? Pavelski and Marleau are so important to the Sharks, same as the Getzlaf and Perry deals, they will not be allowed to walk for free, traded or they will stay. Joe Thornton could be avialable, because he's getting up there and on the decline. He will want some outrageous 8 year deal, so I can see the Sharks lettting him go. King Henrik...um, no...he will be a NYR for life, no UFA for that guy. Boyle is regressing and will get more than he deserves. Leafs will lock up Kessel, take it to the bank.

• Like 1

This reminds me of the past few years when everybody and their mother was all ga ga about the availability of Getzlaf and Perry. I repeatedly stated over and over again they would be resigned....but it took 1000 meaningless threads before it happened. The Sedin's will be locked up by the Nucks or traded, but since they are locked at the hip for life, I don't see how any one team could swing signing both of them, and with their horrid playoff performances, why would ya? Pavelski and Marleau are so important to the Sharks, same as the Getzlaf and Perry deals, they will not be allowed to walk for free, traded or they will stay. Joe Thornton could be avialable, because he's getting up there and on the decline. He will want some outrageous 8 year deal, so I can see the Sharks lettting him go. King Henrik...um, no...he will be a NYR for life, no UFA for that guy. Boyle is regressing and will get more than he deserves. Leafs will lock up Kessel, take it to the bank.

Pavelski is definitely important to our future, but as a Sharks fan, I have to wonder how you take Marleau over Thornton. They are the same age, and Marleau's production declines drastically when facing top checkers. Thornton is not on that much of a decline and always draws the opposing teams top checkers. His numbers have dropped because he has adopted the team philosophy and is playing a more complete game, but he is still the most dangerous shark on the ice. The season before last he was still tied for 3rd in Assists and 12th overall in points(The difference between 12th in points and 5th was 6 points), and last season everything was tight. The difference between his 12th in assists and 7th was 1 point.

Marleau, while he has good wheels and a decent shot, just cannot carry a line like Joe can, nor can he tilt the ice in the direction of the opposing team. Thornton, no matter who is on his line, can make it dangerous. Always has. I am not big on +/-, but In this past playoff, Thornton was +5 when all other forwards were anywhere from 0 to -6 for a reason. The season before that when the Sharks got mopped by the blues, Thornton was the one forward you could not blame. The season before that, he was the best forward on any team up to the point they were eliminated by the Nucks. That and, unlike Marleau, Thornton actually took a discount. In no universe should Marleau be making the same money. at the time, everyone was all worried that the Market for a player like Joe was in the 8 million + range and that we were going to have to lose other key players who had contracts coming up(The Clowe's, Pavelski's, Vlasic's, etc), but he took the 7 million. most sharks fans were angry Marleau wanted the same money.

@J0e Th0rnton You make some valid points, I had no idea Joe was that close to the top 10 last year. I'll defer to your greater Sharks knowledge. It's probably not his falut, but when I see Joe, I see failed leader, and that's just me. I don't know what his playoff stats are like, but he just never seemed to get the job done. It's most likely more of a team thing that I attach to him individually. I've always liked Marleau as a player, but I know from having him in fantasy hockey that he can disappear for weeks at a time, very steaky guy.

Pavelski is definitely important to our future, but as a Sharks fan, I have to wonder how you take Marleau over Thornton. They are the same age, and Marleau's production declines drastically when facing top checkers. Thornton is not on that much of a decline and always draws the opposing teams top checkers. His numbers have dropped because he has adopted the team philosophy and is playing a more complete game, but he is still the most dangerous shark on the ice. The season before last he was still tied for 3rd in Assists and 12th overall in points(The difference between 12th in points and 5th was 6 points), and last season everything was tight. The difference between his 12th in assists and 7th was 1 point.

Marleau, while he has good wheels and a decent shot, just cannot carry a line like Joe can, nor can he tilt the ice in the direction of the opposing team. Thornton, no matter who is on his line, can make it dangerous. Always has. I am not big on +/-, but In this past playoff, Thornton was +5 when all other forwards were anywhere from 0 to -6 for a reason. The season before that when the Sharks got mopped by the blues, Thornton was the one forward you could not blame. The season before that, he was the best forward on any team up to the point they were eliminated by the Nucks. That and, unlike Marleau, Thornton actually took a discount. In no universe should Marleau be making the same money. at the time, everyone was all worried that the Market for a player like Joe was in the 8 million + range and that we were going to have to lose other key players who had contracts coming up(The Clowe's, Pavelski's, Vlasic's, etc), but he took the 7 million. most sharks fans were angry Marleau wanted the same money.

As a Wing fan I have watched a ton of Shark games, the two teams draw each other in the playoffs a fair amount and the regular season brings some interesting matchups as well.

In my opinion the Sharks cannot win as presently constructed. Too top heavy, no depth, poor prospects, I think they did a wonderful job retooling last season, Clowe and Murray had to go, a need for new blood was required. Torres was a brilliant pickup, getting Stuart back then adding his oldbuddy Scott Hannan was a good move replacing Murray.

My problem is the bottom lines and bottom pair blueliners cannot play NHL quality minutes and you cannot get anything of quality with your whole salary going for six or seven players. Quite frankly, until a Marleau or Thornton is dealt and the salary used to add quality in two or three spots this club is doomed to be a tough out in the playoffs but that is about it.

The Marleau and Thornton debate, as to which should go simplified:

The Marleau case: He has played his whole career in San Jose and the fans love him even though his stat line is slipping.

The Thornton case: He is now and has been and will likely continue to be a better player. It is not his fault that he started his caree elsewhere and Marleau didn't, he is perceived as a mild disappointment because he came over ad didn't lead the team to the promised land but he is a complete player and doesn't get his due.

Anyone who wants to pay Marleau Thornton money depriving the club of shoring up glaring holes that may be enough to get them over the hump simply because he has spent his entire career in San Jose is wrong.

As a Wing fan I have watched a ton of Shark games, the two teams draw each other in the playoffs a fair amount and the regular season brings some interesting matchups as well.

In my opinion the Sharks cannot win as presently constructed. Too top heavy, no depth, poor prospects, I think they did a wonderful job retooling last season, Clowe and Murray had to go, a need for new blood was required. Torres was a brilliant pickup, getting Stuart back then adding his oldbuddy Scott Hannan was a good move replacing Murray.

My problem is the bottom lines and bottom pair blueliners cannot play NHL quality minutes and you cannot get anything of quality with your whole salary going for six or seven players. Quite frankly, until a Marleau or Thornton is dealt and the salary used to add quality in two or three spots this club is doomed to be a tough out in the playoffs but that is about it.

The Marleau and Thornton debate, as to which should go simplified:

The Marleau case: He has played his whole career in San Jose and the fans love him even though his stat line is slipping.

The Thornton case: He is now and has been and will likely continue to be a better player. It is not his fault that he started his caree elsewhere and Marleau didn't, he is perceived as a mild disappointment because he came over ad didn't lead the team to the promised land but he is a complete player and doesn't get his due.

Anyone who wants to pay Marleau Thornton money depriving the club of shoring up glaring holes that may be enough to get them over the hump simply because he has spent his entire career in San Jose is wrong.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

The Sedin twins create quite a pickle for people who want to sign them. They go as a pair, or not at all according to the grapevine.

You need 13+ million just to have a shot at 2 players....

I'm sorry but I am going to subscribe to the what have you done for me lately theory in regard to the Sedin twins. Nice players. Absolutely, however IMO they seem to go AWOL during the playoffs. Since their cup final a few years ago, the Nucks have been a 1st round disaapoinment the past 2 years. Granted they seem to have alot of issues and not necessarily that is a reflection on the Sedin brothers. 13 million just seems to be too steep for many teams to take on. IMO I just don't think it is worth it.. Again just my 2 cents.

Edited by pilldoc