Another season with crappy goaltending

Flyingswede

The focus is on the old defense. Gagne situation. Vincent L. Who makes the 4th line who doesnt. No body talks about our goalis. Is the situation so bad that we flyers fans is used with having bad golies so we doesnt even talk about it anymore? Mason? what a joke. Came here and played good some games. Are you for real? is this the guy to have in the net as the nr1? Well, if that doesnt work we have the super Emery? even worse of a joke. Just cant freakin believe Homer is walking in Clarkes footprints and ignoring the goaltending. 

I just cant understand why in the hell we went for Vinnie instead of a promising young good goaltender. The last years desperate moves for veteran past date superstars like Jagr and Lecavalier is unbelivble dumb. 

What I think flyers need is a manager who is die hard hockey entusiast who is philosofic about the game of hockey, Who knows hockey, who eat, sleep and eats hockey. Flyers is just business these days... we have become the Rangers... there is no idea anymore no great plan no real teambuilding. 

I'm gonna reserve judgement until I watch the first 6-10 games.  I think that is a fair number of games to see how this season is going to play out.  Remember, Mason has been stuck with a less than stellar blue line during the pre-season while Emery has some vets in front of him.  However, is the goal tending bombs this year..watch out ...this forum and fan  base will explode.

Meanwhile, Schneider and Bernier are playing lights out.

Yes, it's the preseason, but not exactly getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the two BFFs in goal. I really don't think it will be WORSE than last year, but that's nothing to write home about.

Goaltending, on the cheap, again.

@brelic

Schnieder kills me. As in we finally may see the last of Marty B and jersey gets another franchise goalie for a 1st round pick. Why the Flyers didn't try this is beyond me. Maybe they were still on the fence about Bryzgalov and didn't want to acquire another goalie that could shatter Bryzgalov's already fragile ego. Or maybe The Canucks never put it out there to the Flyers. Who knows. Bernier is another head scratcher . Matt Fratten and 2nd and Scrivens was all it took to land one of the hotter commodity of the summer? I think Paul Holmgren could have put together a better package. Like Mason, Read and a 3rd. Way better of a package. In any case, it is too early to judge, but as Flyer fans I think it is fairly obvious what to expect out of this season.

• Like 2

"Wash...Rinse... Repeat..."

That should be the logo above the Flyers locker room. 

They spend the money on a goalie and he stinks. They don't spend the money and the fans flip out. 

Maybe change the people making the decisions?

But, oh no, some things they have done have worked out, so they get a free pass on the worst decision in the history of hockey.

:ph34r:

Schnieder kills me. As in we finally may see the last of Marty B and jersey gets another franchise goalie for a 1st round pick. Why the Flyers didn't try this is beyond me.

I know why. It's because they undervalue goaltending.

How many different starting goaltenders have we had in the past 6-7 years?

Mason/Emery

Bryz

Leighton

Bobrovsky

Boucher

Emery

Biron

Niittymaki

Esche

That's TEN goalies just off the top of my head. How can you build stability in goal when you don't have ... stability in goal?

Then again, the Hawks have played musical goalie but somehow, they're all EXCELLENT.

And something tells me it's not that every goalie they get is excellent. It's that every goalie they have is supported by strong defense and strong coaching.

Mason/Emery

Bryz

Leighton

Bobrovsky

Boucher

Emery

Biron

Niittymaki

Esche

That's TEN goalies just off the top of my head. How can you build stability in goal when you don't have ... stability in goal?

Then again, the Hawks have played musical goalie but somehow, they're all EXCELLENT.

And something tells me it's not that every goalie they get is excellent. It's that every goalie they have is supported by strong defense and strong coaching.

You know what's scary?  Of that entire group, Esche was the most successful goalie.  Oh yeah, and Bob was *going* to be if he wasn't traded.

You know what's scary?  Of that entire group, Esche was the most successful goalie.  Oh yeah, and Bob was *going* to be if he wasn't traded.

depends on how you measure "success" because Leighton/Boucher/Bobrovsky made it to the Cup Final. Esche only got to the Conference Final.

:ph34r:

Clearly gonna be wearing out the ninja in this thread...

Meanwhile, Schneider and Bernier are playing lights out.

Yes, it's the preseason, but not exactly getting a warm fuzzy feeling about the two BFFs in goal. I really don't think it will be WORSE than last year, but that's nothing to write home about.

Goaltending, on the cheap, again.

"Goaltending, on the cheap, again"

we want to spend on goalies, we don't want them to spend. Which way is it???

• Like 1

"Goaltending, on the cheap, again"

we want to spend on goalies, we don't want them to spend. Which way is it???

We want money spent well.

There is a huge gap between "nine-year, $51M NMC contract" and "$3.1M one year unproven goalie tandem"

• Like 1

well fill in gap. What do you suggest that isn't a pipedream??

We're stuck with what we have, but I don't believe anyone would say that signing Bryzgalov over, say, Vokoun was "money well spent."

I don't believe that anyone would say keeping Bryzgalov and dealing Bobrovsky was "money well spent."

We're stuck in the boat that Homer launched. There is no "great big fix" that is out there or available rightnow. That's what happens when your GM makes the worst decision in the history of hockey.

• Like 2

We're stuck with what we have, but I don't believe anyone would say that signing Bryzgalov over, say, Vokoun was "money well spent."

I don't believe that anyone would say keeping Bryzgalov and dealing Bobrovky was "money well spent."

We're stuck in the boat that Homer launched. There is no "great big fix" that is out there or available rightnow. That's what happens when your GM makes the worst decision in the history of hockey.

Good post! The Flyers need to change the way they do things in regards to goalies, we signed emery because management knew him and liked him when he was here before. Mason is one of guys they needed a second chance somewhere and The Flyers like giving players that second chance. We should have gave Bob more time, very sad for sure.

Good post! The Flyers need to change the way they do things in regards to goalies, we signed emery because management knew him and liked him when he was here before. Mason is one of guys they needed a second chance somewhere and The Flyers like giving players that second chance. We should have gave Bob more time, very sad for sure.

As @radoran said, there's a huge gap between the monster contract we gave Bryzgalov, and then recycling a few goalies for $3M total each on 1 year contracts.

Mason/Emery

Bryz

Leighton

Bobrovsky

Boucher

Emery

Biron

Niittymaki

Esche

Using your example ..lets look at the Blackhawks blueline:

Defensemen

Duncan Keith (30)

Brent Seabrook  (28)

Niklas Hjalmarsson (26)

Johnny Oduya (31)

Nick Leddy  (22)

Michal Rozsival  (36)

For the most part this is a stable veteran blue line.  Who here would love to have a D. Keith or B. Seabrook on this team.

We have the likes of Timmo (38) and Striet (35).  Coburn is 28 but would not make a top pairing for Chicago. L. Schenn was one of our better D-men last year and he is only 23.  Still very young.

Mez is 27 but the past few years has become fragile.  Grossman is 28 and is steady 2nd pair d-man.  H. Gill, god forbid he makes the team, is another 35+ player.  The Flyers NEVER let the younger players develop unless it is due to injuries.  We have over-valued older d-man who have lost a step, or young guys with potential, but no experience. Where is the balance.  In a few years if the likes of Morin / Haag / and Lauridsen pan out, then we have the potential of having a solid blue-line...however until then...we will constantly be blaming the goalie for everything.

(I am on record that Bryz was a mistake in a big way)

Chicago IMO has a more consistent defense.  A more constant blue line gives your goalie more confidence.  A more confidant goalie plays better.

Last year Bryz was subpar and we has SOOOO many injuries our blue line.  Were is the consistency?  There was none.  Emery played lights out because of his confidence in the blue-line.  I know this topic has been debated ad nauseaum before, but is worth repeating.   I totally agree with you brelic. We also need some one who is going to coach the blue-line and not always play a run and gun game.

• Like 2

Sorry for not posting I have been moving to a new apartment. My post was not about the preseason. It was about Homer showing what he think about goaltending when sticking with Mason and Emery as back-up. Mason might be fantastic this year!? Who knows. But all our 10 goalies the last 6-7 years have done great seasons but it doesnt last and i doubt it will with M&E too.

I think Brelic is right onthe spot. Good post. The chain isnt stronger than the weakiest link. Our weak link is the golie and thats why we wont win.