Lebrun and Burnside on Laviolette firing

brelic

@brelic  Always like Pierre Lebrun's insight. I like what he said, sometimes things get stale and you run out of ways to get through to the players. I think this happened here. Alain V. was an excellent example, outrageous winning percentage, but he was not getting though and the team needed a change. When you look at Peter's record, it was very respectable, even last year non-playoff team was .500....but his voice was falling on deaf ears, this happens in the NHL. The sad part was Homer had the whole off season to ponder this and find the best man for the job, but he failed to come to the right conclusion. I'm VERY doubtful Berube is the right guy for this job....so, yet another wasted season. Gotta love being a Flyers fan, huh?

• Like 1

@brelic  Always like Pierre Lebrun's insight. I like what he said, sometimes things get stale and you run out of ways to get through to the players. I think this happened here. Alain V. was an excellent example, outrageous winning percentage, but he was not getting though and the team needed a change. When you look at Peter's record, it was very respectable, even last year non-playoff team was .500....but his voice was falling on deaf ears, this happens in the NHL. The sad part was Homer had the whole off season to ponder this and find the best man for the job, but he failed to come to the right conclusion. I'm VERY doubtful Berube is the right guy for this job....so, yet another wasted season. Gotta love being a Flyers fan, huh?

Yeah, agreed. Laviolette is a solid coach, and he did a great job early on. Hitchcock also got great results. But over time, some coaches lose their effectiveness.

Considering the roster turnover we've had, I wonder if the new guys weren't buying in, or the remaining 4 players (Giroux, Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn) from 2010 tuned him out? Maybe a combination of both?

Yeah, agreed. Laviolette is a solid coach, and he did a great job early on. Hitchcock also got great results. But over time, some coaches lose their effectiveness.

Considering the roster turnover we've had, I wonder if the new guys weren't buying in, or the remaining 4 players (Giroux, Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn) from 2010 tuned him out? Maybe a combination of both?

But that's a point - they said it again today "you can't change the players."

They HAVE changed the players. They've changed the coach. They've changed the goalie.

And there are still rampant locker room issues, There are still issues with conditioning. There are still issues playing 60 minutes. Guys "not buying in."

While players who they have said "good riddance" to have gone on to success with other franchises.

The one thing they haven't changed is the one thing they are 100% certain is working for them.

Them.

• Like 2

isnt that like 3/4s of your so called "leadership group"...

I say blame Bryz!  He still haunts this team!! :D

• Like 1

I like Lavy a lot. I liked his fire and what he brought to the team. I guess those in the boxing world would day he isn't the best counter puncher. Once a team figures him out it is all over like the Devils did to use two years ago and now other teams.

I think the comments on Coots' limited development were interesting. The tune out factor cannot be denied. Last night looked like a sleep walk. It would be ironic if two of Homer's bargain signings, MASEM, turned out a lot better than our senior hires of Vinny and Streit.  This may set the franchise back a year or two. It is no fun.

Howie

They HAVE changed the players. They've changed the coach. They've changed the goalie.

And there are still rampant locker room issues, There are still issues with conditioning. There are still issues playing 60 minutes. Guys "not buying in."

While players who they have said "good riddance" to have gone on to success with other franchises.

The one thing they haven't changed is the one thing they are 100% certain is working for them.

Them.

This is the best comment of the entire day,  How F ing True...    Bravo.

I hope they move some players soon...

Them.

What are the rampant locker room issues?

What are the rampant locker room issues?

There have also been reports all day (WIP, others) about guys "not buying in" to the coach's system and that was creating a rift in the room.

And how many times do we need to hear that a coach has (once again) "lost the room" because guys being paid millions to do their jobs are "tuning him out"?

I don't mean the off-ice stuff - I mean the continually evasive "room."

I accept that that is a thing that happens. But, again, the coach had an almost entirely different room than just three seasons ago - how much time do guys have to "tune him out" and who, exactly, are they?

@radoran - I've heard the whisperings that players have tuned out Lavi. Guess what, it happens to many coaches. It's not the first time it's happened to Lavi in fact. I've been critical of Homer and Snider but I'm not going to pin Lavi's inability to adjust his system on them. Just because they've made some bad moves before doesn't mean every move they make is a bad one. The only problem I have with this move is that it came too late. It should have been done last season when the team had that week off.

@radoran - I've heard the whisperings that players have tuned out Lavi. Guess what, it happens to many coaches. It's not the first time it's happened to Lavi in fact. I've been critical of Homer and Snider but I'm not going to pin Lavi's inability to adjust his system on them. Just because they've made some bad moves before doesn't mean every move they make is a bad one. The only problem I have with this move is that it came too late. It should have been done last season when the team had that week off.

I'm not at all against losing Lavy, but concur 100% that they should have done it after last season.

But it was still "blame the goalie" in the office at that point.