We Pahked the puck in the Yahd

yave1964

Thoughts on the 3-2 win against the Bruins today.....

Crazy watching the game during the day. Columbus day special against the Bruins. Now off for Vermont before slowly working our way home.

Brian Lashoff does not look to be the same lousy player as he was a year ago. Solid game two days in a row. And Glendening is making Wings fans forget about Emmerton with his faceoff and P/K ability.

Weiss was our best player today not named Z or Pavel who don't qualify for this category as they are not human. We sat down near the net and on one sequence Weiss personally blocked three shots, plus a nifty goal.

Scary three way collision between Abdelkader, Chara and Rask all of whom went flying while the puck just lay there. The fans were booing like crazy because no penalty was called but it was just a bone crushing killer play.

Johnny Boychuk was their most impressive player on the ice today. Wicked shot, hitting people tons of ice time replacing Ference in the second pair. Very impressed.

I never thought I would say that Ericsson is the Wings best d-man but he has really developed. Hardly ever makes a mistake.

Bruins five power plays, we had ZERO. I am not one to whine and bitch about officiating but God was it horrible.

Very impressive game. Hoping to find a way to watch the Wings against Columbus tomorrow night, if not I have it DVRing at home.

GO wings!!

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of taking an extended lunch break to watch the first two periods of this contest.  I loved it.  The Wings looked real sharp.  By the way, before I go any further...

Be It Remembered Among All Members Herewith - I declare henceforward to never to refer to Johan Franzen as "The Mule".  he will now be referred to as "The Dump Truck".  Why?  Because he's big, ugly, and slow.  And he serves no purpose other than to haul dead weight around.  

Now that that's settled...

The Wings looked very sharp, other than The Dump Truck.  All three goals were executed perfectly (yes, even The Dump Truck's pass to Weiss was right on the tape).  The penalty killing unit was perfect again tonight, even taking on nearly two minutes of 5-on-3 early in the third.  The Bruins managed to spend a lot of time in the zone on these power plays, but the Wings kept the shots on goal to a minimum, which is a positive.  However, you can't go to the well too many times, and asking for 5 successful kills is a lot.  I realize the Wings had no power play opportunities, and I would have liked to see how they would have fared, but Boston's PK is also one of the best in the league, and I think we would have been disappointed with the results.  

Even Monster was a monster this afternoon.  He had a little trouble with the rebounds but that has to be a sigh of relieve for Jimmy Howard.  He needn't rush his return from a bruised hand as long as Gustavsson plays like that.   I wouldn't be surprised if Gustavsson gets the nod for the game against Columbus and leave Jimmy to take on the Avs.  

I agree with @yave1964 that Luke Glendening has made a huge impact on the Wings' lineup.  He brings a lot of energy and speed to that fourth line.  I think it will be a long time before we see Corey Whats-his-name again.  

It's all starting to come together now.  A quick rest on the plane and then we'll meet the Blue Jackets tomorrow evening.  The Jackets are 2-2 after dropping their most recent contest to the Bruins Saturday afternoon.  They'll be hungry...

@WingNut722

Oh I think I forgot to mention we blocked about a million shots!! Everyone stepped up with the backup in net going against the big and bads and sacrificed their bodies for the good of the team. One of the best team wins the Wings have had in several seasons......

@WingNut722

Oh I think I forgot to mention we blocked about a million shots!! Everyone stepped up with the backup in net going against the big and bads and sacrificed their bodies for the good of the team. 

And the Bruins still managed to get 31 pieces of rubber into Gustavsson.  

By the way, did you head out to bars after the game?  I find there's no better place to hang out and talk hockey over a few beers than Boston, just outside the "Gahden", no matter who's jersey you have on!

And the Bruins still managed to get 31 pieces of rubber into Gustavsson.  

By the way, did you head out to bars after the game?  I find there's no better place to hang out and talk hockey over a few beers than Boston, just outside the "Gahden", no matter who's jersey you have on!

No, we are just worn down getting ready to crash at the double tree then off very early in the morning. I think one beer would have finished me off, lol. And the wife had her Mccarty Jersey and I wore my championship 2008 one, no problems from the crowd, a lot of teasing how they won a championship after us, lol. We didn't really taunt or draw attention to ourselves when the Wings went up 3-1 we figured we were still outnumbered 20,000 to 2 so we just clapped quietly to ourselves. The fans around us were good natured.

. We didn't really taunt or draw attention to ourselves when the Wings went up 3-1 we figured we were still outnumbered 20,000 to 2 so we just clapped quietly to ourselves. The fans around us were good natured.

Absolutely. Boston fans are great. We went up a few years ago with a friend of mine (Rangers fan) for a game against the Rags. We borrowed some sweaters from him and headed on out. Even in the blue shirts we met some pretty great people at the bars before and after the game. Can't wait to go back sometime

I've found hockey fans in most towns are pretty good people. I even wore a Pens Kevin Stevens jersey on a Devils fan bus to see the teams play ages ago. Lots of good natured ribbing. Lemieux tore them up that night so everything said to me at the Jersey Sports Bar after the game was responded to with "5" for the number of goals Lemieux had.

were still outnumbered 20,000 to 2 so we just clapped quietly to ourselves. The fans around us were good natured.

(Love your thread title btw..lol. Makes me think of Good Will Hunting!)  Wow, really the Bos fans were good natured? Maybe they just really hate Vancity fans...haha.  I was able to just catch most of the 3rd period today & I have to say...Wow...what a game!..hockey at it's finest...yes, I did notice the Wings colllapse back nicely & blocking shots from Broons...great to see them helping out Gustafsson like that...tho' from what bit i saw of him, he was making some really nice saves himself, kept calm & collected, even once Bos started on the attack to climb back from the deficit 3-1. Just some really nice positioning he kept. One of my fave moments was when the announcer said something like 'Wow, Bergeron could have really taken Datsyuk hard to the boards there, but out of respect for him (or too dangerous from that angle), he didn't,' ....hmm, that was interesting but I think Bergeron is one of my least hated Broons, he seems pretty decent & I guess that move proved it.  That was pretty stand-up of him when he could've made a dirty play. 

not named Z or Pavel who don't qualify for this category as they are not human.

HAHA!  So a nice road trip for you guys...that's pretty cool & nice this time of year too. Vermont's gotta be pretty gorgeous now too. Wouldn't mind doing that some day. I've never driven through the eastern/N eastern US...wanna do it during the Fall.  :)

@goalnut3133  I didn't notice the Bergeron hit (or almost-hit) on Datsyuk.  I suppose there is still a measure of respect for a player like that in this game.  Datsyuk is pretty tough and he's taken his share of hard hits.  Chances are though, from what you're telling me, Bergeron might have been called for boarding, or at least have to explain himself to Jordin Tootoo.

On another note, I have seen Vermont in the fall and it is unbelievable!  We went up several years ago and spent a long weekend in a small, quaint country inn, neat Mount Snow.  I certainly can't wait for the opportunity to go back.  This year though, we'll have to let the foliage come to us.... 

• Like 1

@Polaris922 

I have gotten a few things thrown at me at Ranger games before, but nothing serious.  No beers or food or anything.  Mostly just from young knuckleheaded punks.  Whenever we visit a venue other than JLA we try to get seats down with the season ticket holders.  They're the ones who really talk hockey

Missed the game, but saw some of the highlights. Datsyuk and Zetterberg just work, that goal was amazing. Good to see that Monster seems to be a bit stabler than he was last season. We really need that reliable back up so we can give Howard some rest. 

I never thought I would say that Ericsson is the Wings best d-man but he has really developed. Hardly ever makes a mistake.

This seems magnified because Kronner is off so far this year, IMHO. He is making mistakes and getting beat. Agree that as of late Big E is carrying the pair.

Absolutely. Boston fans are great. We went up a few years ago with a friend of mine (Rangers fan) for a game against the Rags. We borrowed some sweaters from him and headed on out. Even in the blue shirts we met some pretty great people at the bars before and after the game. Can't wait to go back sometime

When I lived in NY, I wanted to go see the Wings play, but more than one person, knowing who I am, told me do NOT wear your Wings sweater, and do not be yourself, because they will kill you. They will wait until after the game, and nail you on the street. I didn't believe the first two guys who told me. But after the third guy said the same thing, I reconsidered. They were all being absolutely serious, and they all said it separately. They were not just playing with me.

I was younger and "stupider" then, and more loud and boisterous. I would have asked for a beating more then than now for sure. They may have been right, but I have always wondered: Was I just a P-boy? :-)

A bunch of friends and I used to go to Chicago stadium every year and wear our jerseys and we even waved a RW flag. 2 were cops and they packed just in case, but we were never threatened in all the years we did it. The worst was having some beer dumped on us while celebrating a comeback 3-2 win in OT (and we deserved every drop!). But the NY guys said, "You're not in Chicago anymore, pal!"

@SpikeDDS

I think maybe times have changed.  I've proudly worn my Wings sweater to MSG on a couple of occasions and never got to much as a foul look.  Most people are too self-absorbed these days to notice things like that, I suppose.  Especially in NYC.  I've never really had a problem, but I've never acted obnoxious in enemy territory either!  That might have something to do with it!

Edited by WingNut722