Stamkos leg injury looks real ugly

yave1964

Lightning lost a matinee today 3-0 to the Bruins in Bean town but may have lost much more than that. Stamkos got tangled with Dougie Hamilton and crashed into the net, his leg seemed to snap when it hit the post. Tampa has been a fun story this year Stamkos being lost for any amount of time is something they simply cannot deal with.

TSN reporting a broken tibia that will require surgeory.   Damn shame to lose a player like Stamkos from the league for any period of time.   I need to see a better replay to see if the Boston player took out his legs,  I just have a small screen at work, but it looked dubious.  I hope I'm wrong and it was just an unfortunate play with two guys fighting for position.

• Like 1

Okay for a hot minute back on my soapbox, with the horrific injury today to Steve Stamkos the Lightning should be allowed to recall Drouin from the Juniors. It is absurd to watch the lightning watch their season go down the tubes so some junior hockey fans can get another season out of a grown man. I know I have heard several of you mention that you can recall a player from juniors if you have injuries, if this does not meet the criteria then nothing does.

Based on previous cases, it’s possible the two-time Maurice Richard Trophy winner could be out 3-6 months. Suffice to say, tibia breaks requiring surgery are serious — in 2001, then-Canucks forward Markus Naslund suffered one in a game against Buffalo.

From CBC:

Naslund, 27, broke both the tibia, the larger of two bones in the lower leg, and the fibia, in a game against the Buffalo Sabres. The left-winger spent the night in hospital in Buffalo, N.Y., before being flown to Vancouver on Saturday night.

[Dr. Bill] Regan explained the tibia takes 90 per cent of the weight when you walk. During the procedure, a rod was inserted down the middle of the bone and then had screws placed across it, inside the bone.

“That secured rotational stability of the fracture,” Regan said.

Naslund was alert after the operation and could leave hospital as early as Tuesday.

“There’s no need for him to have a cast,” said Regan. “He can start immediately with a range of motion of his knee and his ankle.

“He will be non-weight bearing for approximately 10 to 12 weeks. He can begin working on his muscles around his knee almost immediately.

“When the fracture has healed he should be ready to start skating. That is somewhere in the next three to four months.”

Granted, no two injuries are identical and it’s premature to suggest Stamkos’ recovery and/or rehab will mirror that of Naslund’s.

Another instance of a player fracturing his tibia and requiring surgery — Andrew Ference, with Boston during the 2008-09 campaign — was quite different. Ference suffered the break in mid-November and underwent surgery to place a pin in his leg, returning to the lineup two-and-a-half months later (missing 31 games in total).

Based on some improvements in bone healing hopefully he will heal as quickly as Ference.

• Like 1

Well, we will see now what this Lightning team is REALLY made of now.

Sure, losing a player the calibur of Stamkos is a huge blow no matter how you slice it....but if the team is to be a true contender, then Stamkos cannot be the be-all, end-all on this hockey team.

TB has lots of other players who have all made huge strides over the past couple seasons and continue to do so, and while no current single player is Stamkos-calibur at the moment, as a group, there is much talent, ability, and determination here to still make this a successful season.

The Bolts were pretty bad last season and it was because of poor defense, poor goaltending, and a 'soft' style of play...that has all seemed to change this season, and while they will be losing a lot of offense with no Steven Stamkos, there are still guys on the team who can score goals, while defense, goaltending and tenacity can carry you quite a ways as well.

Let's not forget that the Bolts also had Keith Aulie and Sami Salo not return during that game as well.

Aulie is a developing shut down defenseman, while Salo of course, brings much experience and a great d-man to have on the PP....hopefully, those two won't be out for too long.

But just like the Stamkos loss, if those two are out for any length, guys just have to step up....no feeling sorry for anyone, just guys that will get opportunities, more ice time, a callup or three...whatever the case.

Seems Stevie Y is constructing this team with depth in mind...well, that will be put to the test in the coming weeks.

Get well Stamkos...you will be missed....and hurry back Aulie and Salo....but this team should have guys that can step in and hold the fort, if not replace, those lost to injury.

Whether that is Drouin coming up, Barberio getting more ice time, Johnson, Labrie, Killorn, Panik all getting more responsibility, or a callup like a Mike Angelidis, JP Cote, or a Dana Tyrell....guys are simply going to have to grow up a bit faster and continue to work towards the playoffs.

I'm usually the first one to find a way to blame Boston, but this just looks like Stammer lost an edge and had an unfortunate crash into the wall. Really hate to see this happen to such an incredible player. One of the few automatic goal scorers in this league, not to mention he probably won't play for team Canada in February. Real shame. I know everyone in the league wishes him a speedy recovery.

• Like 1

This is a BIG blow to Canada's Gold Medal dreams. If any team can overcome the loss of the goal king, it's Canada, this might just open up the door for a Evander Kane or Mike Richards....we shall see...but bad for the sport as a whole to have Stammer out this long!

I'm usually the first one to find a way to blame Boston, but this just looks like Stammer lost an edge and had an unfortunate crash into the wall. Really hate to see this happen to such an incredible player. One of the few automatic goal scorers in this league, not to mention he probably won't play for team Canada in February. Real shame. I know everyone in the league wishes him a speedy recovery.

It really looked like just one of those things, Hamilton did not do anything to cause this, it was just one of those plays like players breaking legs under the old icing rules.

This sucks for Stamkos who was really turning into a great all around player. It sucks for Tampa who were surprising a lot of people with the great year they were having. And it sucks for Canada to lose their best goal scorer in an Olympic year. Step up Claude.