Stick blade taping

bunnyman

How do you tape your stick blade?

I run two layers on the area that contacts the ice, with the last layer going all the way over the top of the end of the stick. Then I tape the toe long-ways, going at least three ways to cover the toe of the stick. Then I carefully wrap the stick all the way back, covering toe to heel. After the blade is covered in tape, I wax it liberally with Sex Wax Hockey Stick Wax. I melt it into the blade with a heat gun, then go over the entire blade once again. If it still doesn't look like it has been thoroughly waxed, I go over it again and again.

My way preserves the blade and makes it easier to shoot with the ample layers of wax.

Share your stick blade taping secrets!

Edited by bunnyman

I don't get to play very often anymore (health Reasons) but when I did there always seemed to be a couple of guys who went WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY overboard in everything from the care for there sticks, I swear I think these guys probably slept with them because there is no way they had wives, to sharpening their skates right before game time, (I did mine about twice a year if I remembered) to the proper pads, to looking at themselves in the mirror a half dozen times from every possible angle before hitting the ice. The rest of us would either laugh our rears off or just shake our heads.

Bunny, I love hockey, but they have this thing called girls. Once you discover them taping up your stick takes on a whole other meaning........

• Like 1

Ain't it funny how stick and dick rhyme.

Are we talking about hockey or umm,,  something else....

putting it in the five hole

he shoots he scores!!!

two minutes in the box

These have actually just been offered up by my wife for your entertainment.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Heh heh.

I don't sleep with my sticks. I haven't slept in my gear since my Junior tryout. But I am good about equipment maintenance, I admit. I want to score both on AND off the ice. My equipment smells AWESOME, and I even score goals on occasion. I'm not a stinky hockey player; okay, so I don't play well.

Alas, there is a Mrs. bunnyman. She kinda gets in the way of my girlie action.

btw- your wife sounds like a laugh riot!!!

• Like 1

@bunnyman

Yeah she is a good woman. She puts up with my love of the game and has developed quite the love for it herself, and we enjoy card shows, card shops and hockey is on our television about every night. I have to go to antique malls with her a time or two a month as a trade off but I gotta admit she is my best friend and I wouldn't trade her for Erik Karlsson getting traded to the Wings. Well..........

Seriously, I just kind of wound up with whatever tape was on the stick from the game/week/month/year before. I was a slow moving stay at home defenseman, the other guys usually wished I had done just that, stayed at home. Playing in a 30 and over 4 team league in Wooster Ohio is nothing like what you guys play or played in, not the most talented league in the world sometimes we had a difficult time fielding 4 teams, and guys would show up and fill in for clubs who were short handed. Like I said, a few guys who took themselves way to serious, most of the rest of us just out there having fun. The last few years I have been relegated to spectator, which my former teammates will tell you was my best position in the first place.

@bunnyman

Yeah she is a good woman. She puts up with my love of the game and has developed quite the love for it herself, and we enjoy card shows, card shops and hockey is on our television about every night. I have to go to antique malls with her a time or two a month as a trade off but I gotta admit she is my best friend and I wouldn't trade her for Erik Karlsson getting traded to the Wings. Well..........

Awesome!!!! Mrs. bunnyman isn't too bad, either- she paid for a new pair of custom Eagle Hockey gloves in tan leather!!!

Seriously, I just kind of wound up with whatever tape was on the stick from the game/week/month/year before. I was a slow moving stay at home defenseman, the other guys usually wished I had done just that, stayed at home. Playing in a 30 and over 4 team league in Wooster Ohio is nothing like what you guys play or played in, not the most talented league in the world sometimes we had a difficult time fielding 4 teams, and guys would show up and fill in for clubs who were short handed. Like I said, a few guys who took themselves way to serious, most of the rest of us just out there having fun. The last few years I have been relegated to spectator, which my former teammates will tell you was my best position in the first place.

I have a feeling you're being way modest!

I tape every few games with the method I use. Blades are freakishly expensive!!!! This is why I take the time to do that.

I play pick up with every level imaginable. This includes guys who are ex-pros, ex juniors, hacks, beginners, and literally EVERYTHING in between. I don't dare tell these guys I played Junior A- I have lost ability by the TRUCK LOAD!!!! They are getting the idea, however, as i am showing some of my ability with the poke check. I will embarrass the occasional dangler with a poke check...

Playing for 100% fun is AWESOME. I just wish I felt good enough about this that I could go w/o shoulder pads. But these guys play too fast and furious; after all, I was ready to drop the gloves not long ago...