Absolutely Inexcusable.

Bakanekimiwa

Kid runs around the house holding a pair of scissors. He trips, falls, and hits his head on the coffee table. Mom yells, "that's why you don't run with scissors!"

The Flyers made a big mistake in not continuing to press the attack, but that did not cause a pair of low-threat shots from the point to go in. It just didn't. Running with scissors did not cause them to fall down and hit their head. Still shouldn't run with scissors, but there is a reality beneath the platitudes.

your logic is hysterical. really. thank you for making me laugh.

kids run, kids fall. kids get hurt.

if kids run with scissors, they could get really hurt.   your point?

my logic is less convoluted: if you spend less time in your own zone there is less chance of a goal being scored against you. simple!

you want a platitude that i agree with: good teams make their own luck.

by the way, mason and the flyers got very very lucky on a deflection from the point late in the third. mason got a toe on it otherwise the game would have been tied sooner. so it wasn't that the flyers were simply victimized by bad luck.

by the way, mason and the flyers got very very lucky on a deflection from the point late in the third. mason got a toe on it otherwise the game would have been tied sooner. so it wasn't that the flyers were simply victimized by bad luck.

and just how many times did the Washington goalie get lucky? I love how you IGNORE the first 50 minutes of the game because it does not fit into your little rant. Did the Flyers stop attacking and let the Caps get too many chances and goals in the last 10 minutes...ABSOLUTELY. Won't argue that. Berube needs to correct that. If the players were so tired from the icing and previous cycle before the 3rd goal, he should have called a time out then too. But, by doing so you can't deny the first 50 minutes of the game were well played by the Flyers....definitely well enough to win if they had continued attacking the last 10 minutes instead of sitting back on their heels....

and just how many times did the Washington goalie get lucky? I love how you IGNORE the first 50 minutes of the game because it does not fit into your little rant. Did the Flyers stop attacking and let the Caps get too many chances and goals in the last 10 minutes...ABSOLUTELY. Won't argue that. Berube needs to correct that. If the players were so tired from the icing and previous cycle before the 3rd goal, he should have called a time out then too. But, by doing so you can't deny the first 50 minutes of the game were well played by the Flyers....definitely well enough to win if they had continued attacking the last 10 minutes instead of sitting back on their heels....

who is ranting?

who denied that the flyers played well FOR 50 MINUTES?

all i said was that bad luck was not why they lost. they lost because they stopped playing. good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose. period.

but then again, you repeated MY argument when YOU wrote:  " ... definitely well enough to win if they had continued attacking the last 10 minutes instead of sitting back on their heels....

aziz blamed the loss on bad luck, i blamed it on bad play.

w

Edited by caluso

good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose

I like this.

Stated another way, good teams play to win, bad teams play to not lose.

Sometimes I think that's what in the Flyers' heads as they play.. "Ok, ok, just don't screw this up... we've got a lead, don't lose this, keep the puck away from Mason. Oh crap. Here they come."

they blew a 3 goal lead in the third period of a game they easily should have won.

things might have been fine at one point in the game, but who cares. you are what your record says you are - not how you "look" losing.

it is clear to me that the team needs to be gutted. it is also clear to me that Gomer needs to not be in charge of the rebuild.

lastly, i think chief's precepts about how to play the game are right - he just needs better players. faster, tougher...

OK,  It is clear to me that you don't care about anything but the final score. Your words, not mine. I call that ignoring the good play and only focusing on the bad.

OK,  It is clear to me that you don't care about anything but the final score. Your words, not mine. I call that ignoring the good play and only focusing on the bad.

CORRECT!

and, if you are able to understand what you read, i never talked about the first 50 minutes because i don't care. what difference does it make?

you actually care about how they look while they LOSE???????

SERIOUSLY???????????? maybe you don't know this, but you don't get style points. i repeat: you don't get style points.

and while you and aziz are talking about great they played, everybody associated with the team, is saying what a dreadful loss this was....

Edited by caluso

I like this.

Stated another way, good teams play to win, bad teams play to not lose.

Sometimes I think that's what in the Flyers' heads as they play.. "Ok, ok, just don't screw this up... we've got a lead, don't lose this, keep the puck away from Mason. Oh crap. Here they come."

exactly.

they don't know how to win.

and if fans on this board want to say how great they look while they are losing, they are missing the point. this is a wins and losses business.

Looking at one game and saying they are good or bad is fool's gold.    Yes, they played great for 50 mins against the Caps only to cough it up in the 3rd period.   I dont think most are arguing this point.  However, the fact of the matter is they have lost an alarming # of games in the 3rd period this year.  Frankly, good teams do not do that...  good teams find a way to lock it down and come out with a win.  

History is on our (the "negative posters") side here... they are NOT a good Team.   To date they have proven this very point over and over again.  And yet they cant find a way to get above .500 in the worst division in hockey.   If they were a good team they would have not blown 8 3rd period leads (or whatever the actual # is) and started the season so dreadfully.  

If you want to look and say they played great for 50 minutes that is all well and good but in the end it does not amount to wins.   Lets be honest here - the only reason this Team is anywhere near the playoff bubble is one Steve Mason.  It is a 60 minute effort each night you hit the ice.  If you play less than that, w/ the way this Team is constructed, then book your tee times. 

This Team does not have the talent to win games on talent alone.  They need to play harder than the opposing Team on most nights to win. 

Edited by murraycraven

and, if you are able to understand what you read, i never talked about the first 50 minutes because i don't care. what difference does it make?

Yes, I do care. I see they have the potential to correct their mistakes and improve. To each his own but you might want to hurry though if you are getting ready to jump off the bridge, it seems to be getting pretty crowded as of late.....

SERIOUSLY???????????? maybe you don't know this, but you don't get style points. i repeat: you don't get style points.

obviously.  the final score determines who gets the two points.  the stuff in the middle, though, tells you something about how you can expect the team to play going forward.  

one last time:  had the flyers given up goals on overwhelming offensive plays that developed specifically because they had no forecheck and let the caps come at them, i'd agree with everything you are saying.  the reality that they gave up goals on lollipop point shots that can and do occur no matter what kind of offensive pressure game the team is playing means that they lost on plays that can happen at any time.  on the one goal, there was no capital within 25 feet of mason, just an inadvertently good screen by grossmann.  the flyers' defensive shell didn't cause that goal.  the capitals weren't even pressing the attack at the moment, just flipping the puck on net because they had no other obvious options.  and it went in.  there is no greater wisdom to take from a goal like that (other than, "hey, grossmann, stay out of your goalie's sightlines").  mason's mishandle, same thing, crap for luck.  bad clearing by him, puck comes to ovechkin who essentially taps it into an open net.  the flyers' sitting on their heals didn't do that, mason flubbing his clearing attempt did.

this horse is dead, so probably time to stop.  the season continues.