Absolutely Inexcusable.

Bakanekimiwa

The team is still inconsistent. I hate today's loss, a lot, but I am patiently waiting for the team to gel. It won't be fixed in a day, but they are making progress. Think of this team relative to where they were at the beginning of the season, and as far back as last "season". Good things are happening, just not immediately.

Am I pissed about today's game, yes. But let's see if this failure turns into a teaching point, and lesson learned.

Greetings:

First, we saw that our D is not particularly capable. It is exposed against mobile teams.

Second, we are seeing something more problematic long-term...maybe Mason is all-too-human. This is three games with four or more out of the last five (I think).  I hope he doesn't lose confidence.  

Not good. A very unsettling loss.

Peace,

Howie

guys, come on.  i'm not going to cheerlead, but take it for what it is.  things were fine this afternoon until a pair of screened shots and a misplay by mason.  three very specific, non-chronic events turned the game around.  the fact that grossmann was right in mason's sightline or that mason failed to get the puck on the glass doesn't say anything about the team as a whole.

this was a fluky game, mostly good, a couple moments of bad.  add in the shootout and they end up with a loss.  they played well, overall, though.

• Like 1

Prevent d never wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen. 

If you're winning, don't take your foot off the gas.  Why pass momentum to the other team?   

Many, many years ago, I was a 14 year-old high school football player.  Our coach, (who was my girlfriend's father) ordered us into a prevent defense against a team that we'd dominated.  I knew that it was a stupid move then, and 64 years later, I haven't changed my mind. 

If you've outscored a team through a couple periods, don't change your game plan. 

Dumb, dumb, dumb

guys, come on.  i'm not going to cheerlead, but take it for what it is.  things were fine this afternoon until a pair of screened shots and a misplay by mason.  three very specific, non-chronic events turned the game around.  the fact that grossmann was right in mason's sightline or that mason failed to get the puck on the glass doesn't say anything about the team as a whole.

this was a fluky game, mostly good, a couple moments of bad.  add in the shootout and they end up with a loss.  they played well, overall, though.

they blew a 3 goal lead in the third period of a game they easily should have won.

things might have been fine at one point in the game, but who cares. you are what your record says you are - not how you "look" losing.

it is clear to me that the team needs to be gutted. it is also clear to me that Gomer needs to not be in charge of the rebuild.

lastly, i think chief's precepts about how to play the game are right - he just needs better players. faster, tougher...

things might have been fine at one point in the game, but who cares. you are what your record says you are - not how you "look" losing.

no, it is HOW you lost.  if you lost on a pair of seeing-eye wrist shots and a blown clearance, you call it a nexus of bad luck and move on.

man, you people with the black and white, throw out all the details and keep your anti-nuance soap boxes handy.

• Like 1

they blew a 3 goal lead in the third period of a game they easily should have won.

it is clear to me that the team needs to be gutted. it is also clear to me that Gomer needs to not be in charge of the rebuild.

lastly, i think chief's precepts about how to play the game are right - he just needs better players. faster, tougher...

clear to me that Gomer needs to not be in charge

no, it is HOW you lost.  if you lost on a pair of seeing-eye wrist shots and a blown clearance, you call it a nexus of bad luck and move on.

man, you people with the black and white, throw out all the details and keep your anti-nuance soap boxes handy.

no, a loss is a loss is a loss. i love your ability to think in an "abstract" manner but i have a simple question for you: how do they determine who gets into the playoffs?

use your abstract thinking skills and explain that to me....

i love your ability to think in an "abstract" manner but i have a simple question for you: how do they determine who gets into the playoffs?
use your abstract thinking skills and explain that to me....

they take the top three teams from each division, plus the next top-2 finishing teams in the conference as wildcards.  but you knew that, already.  well, maybe not, but benefit of the doubt and all....

given that we are on game 34 of 82, your question can only imply the outcome of the next 48 games.  on which a pair of unlucky screens and a poor clearing attempt are not likely to weight heavily.

they take the top three teams from each division, plus the next top-2 finishing teams in the conference as wildcards.  but you knew that, already.  well, maybe not, but benefit of the doubt and all....

given that we are on game 34 of 82, your question can only imply the outcome of the next 48 games.  on which a pair of unlucky screens and a poor clearing attempt are not likely to weight heavily.

i am not implying anything. it's very black and white: total points, not moral victories, determines who gets in and who doesn't.

but, you knew that. well, maybe you didn't...but benefit of the doubt and all.

and while they did look good for long stretches, this might be their worst loss of the year. 4-1 lead with 10 minutes to go, i do not care who you are, you have to win the game. in my opinion it's not good enough to look good - you have to achieve results because that's what you are judged by. hopefully,  you can see that.

The big guys beat the little guys,again! The Caps pushed the guys around all night and the Flyers let em'. Until Chief resolves that problem,your going to have a problem getting anybody to go full throttle. Grossman screened Mason on the third goal,he was all by himself on the fourth goal. Grossman plays 60 minutes and gives 100%,Downie and Simmonds do a good job,but that's it. Apparently there is not one Phantom that can help.How can that be? Mason is not going to stand on his head every game. Maybe its time to acquire a top five goon just to sit on the bench,just waiting. A team of 180 lb.over-hyped players isn't going to cut it  in the NHL.

Credit Washington too, they found some success having their point players get pucks on net and kept at it.

Really I thought the Flyers played a pretty good road game, the screened goals seemed to shake Mason, especially the Orlov goal, that thing had eyes.

I feel certain that goal caused him to make the dumb play on the dump in.

Other than the result i didn't think they looked bad at all.

It's not so much this game, but we have a tendency lately to give up goals in bunches.

I didn't see the collapse. The Flyers were up 4-1 with half a period left and I thought we had it all wrapped up, so I went outside to blow out from under 45cm of snow. I was pretty shocked to see that they lost.

Those are the kinds of games you have to win at the NHL level. A one or two goal game can shift pretty easily, but a three goal cushion with 10 minutes left should be airtight. Of course, the Flyers have come back and won games like that too... maybe not this year, but they have.

Annoying fact of the day - 1 in 3 Caps games have gone to a shootout, and they are 8-3 in those games. That means they have an additional 8 points in the standings largely because Ovechkin and Backstrom beat pretty much anyone else in the league when it comes to the individual skills competiton.

Yep...let's throw out 50 plus minutes of solid hockey..THAT MEANS NOTHING....The Orlov goal literally curved into the top left of the goal...it wasn't even on goal when he shot it. It literally curved around the 2 guys screening Mason and snuck in. The last goal was just a mistake by Mason that put him out of position to play the puck. It happens and it is a safe bet that Mason would be the first to tell you he made a bad mistake on that play. I do agree that you need to continue to keep attacking though. It is a whole lot tougher to score when the puck is at the other end of the ice. I think you will see Berube make the adjustments there. He is not the "idiot" many people thought he was........

• Like 1

It was a bad loss, not because they played badly but because they played very well for 50 minutes or so and then sat back and let the Caps dictate. It's a lesson for the players, not a reason to blow up the team or fire the GM. The Caps got some breaks, but good teams don't give other teams that many opportunities to get those breaks. And it probably won't be the last time they'll get that lesson.

• Like 3

Well said Jack...

Are people really that surprised by yesterday?  I mean really?   This is what this Team is - they are mediocre and if they finish above .500 that is a plus.   Folks, this Team is just not good...  Maybe I am becoming apathetic to the situation but I am over getting pissed off about this Team.   They are a non playoff Team!  

Every Flyers fan should have this posted above their TV set:

keep-calm-work-in-progress-3.png

It would honestly be much better if it was in each of the Flyers' Corporate Offices.

If many fans are out looking for quick fixes and dramatic moves to become "competitive" it is in large part because they've been trained to think that way by the actions of the organization.

The Motto has been more like:

KEEP CALM

and

TRADE EVERYBODY NOW, THEIR VALUE WILL NEVER BE HIGHER