Oh No! We Suck Again

It's that time of year again!

The wonderful time of year where Leafs fans question their own existence. Where we can all tightly hug our Mats Sundin bobbleheads, sobbing softly, and then make ourselves feel better by putting a tiny Vancouver jersey on it and setting it on fire. The time of year where we ask the important questions, like was it our fault that Curtis Joseph left us? What is Tie Domi's head really made of? And whatever happened to Aki Berg?

In what I'm sure is a total shock to the hockey world, the Leafs are struggling at the just past halfway point of the season. They are comfortably sitting just outside the playoffs currently with a ROW tie breaker stat that, when looked at, closely resembles Miley Cyrus on a wrecking ball: scary, to say the least. Also, it invokes a sudden desire to eat a sandwich.

But my own personal insanity aside, the Leafs are not having fun times right now. They get pinned on their own zone and are forced to ice it on a regular basis, seemingly leaving the whole exit strategy to their slicker skating defenseman without any support, while their forwards wait for the long bomb pass. They are hitting, but they are not effectively taking bodies out and letting other teams run rampant around them. Their defense corps needs help, or some further development from some high potential youngsters. Secondary scoring has dried up significantly.  In fact, the only true bright spots right now are the JVR-Bozak-Kessel line on the offensive side of the puck, the usually solid goaltending, and their decent ability to win shootouts after blowing leads.

Now I think the mobs of fans calling for Randy Carlyle's head are being ridiculous. I'm not Randy's biggest fan by any means, but the team is not playing the typical "Carlyle hockey" right now. They lack intensity and are playing a system that resembles the system I typically use in EA Sports NHL games. Just a rough patch, or has he lost the room already? You decide!

What could the issue be?

Honestly, it's a tough call right now to say where they will end up with quite a bit of hockey left to be played. From the looks of things at this point, they are shooting for the "didn't make the playoffs, but also got a mediocre pick" area once again.

Thoughts? Questions? Scathing remarks? I'd love to hear what you crazy people here think of everyone's favourite, second favourite, or closet favourite team!

...except you, Franklin. Nobody cares what you think.

Edited by Commander Clueless

It's mind boggling that the richest team in hockey hasn't made the finals since colour TV.

It's hard to believe that, at least as it appears, not a single player on the Leafs listens to what their coach asks them to do. It's like they all go out and play shinny. Maybe the Leafs should have hired Laviolette...then at least the team would be on the same page as the coach.

Domi's head? I think it's made from an old safe?

Nice post Commander, I got a laugh out of it.

The Leafs need more truculence in my opinion.

To think that I traded Voracek, a prospect and picks to get Jonathan Bernier who I figured would be the clear No. 1. Now I get to sob along with Leafs fans whenever he plays. Ah, at least the 60 shots a game they give up is generally good for his save percentage. But for how long? The guy must wake in the middle of the night seeing pucks coming at him. If this keeps up he'll develop vertigo or something.

It's mind boggling that the richest team in hockey hasn't made the finals since colour TV.

It's hard to believe that, at least as it appears, not a single player on the Leafs listens to what their coach asks them to do. It's like they all go out and play shinny. Maybe the Leafs should have hired Laviolette...then at least the team would be on the same page as the coach.

Domi's head? I think it's made from an old safe?

Nice post Commander, I got a laugh out of it.

Laviolette would certainly fit this team's current style of play better, although personally I'd rather see them conform to the coach's style, rather than conform the coach to their style. Maybe Carlyle doesn't have the personnel to play his ideal style, but if they could play like they did when they saw some decent success last year and early this year, then I don't see the problem. It's almost like they collectively said "screw it! It's too hard!". That, or Carlyle tried to adjust the system and fell flat on his face.

That's certainly one theory about Domi's head. The other popular one is an adamantium skull I think.

The Leafs need more truculence in my opinion.

To think that I traded Voracek, a prospect and picks to get Jonathan Bernier who I figured would be the clear No. 1. Now I get to sob along with Leafs fans whenever he plays. Ah, at least the 60 shots a game they give up is generally good for his save percentage. But for how long? The guy must wake in the middle of the night seeing pucks coming at him. If this keeps up he'll develop vertigo or something.

Alas, Bernier. He had looked so good to start. In all fairness, he has been doing quite well...but can't seem to get support. Reimer has been decent as well but again, the team around him insists on playing pond hockey.

The Leafs did nothing in the offseason to address their number one need, a top line center.

Resigning Bozak? Please. Nice player, second line is stretching him to the limit, third line he is perfect.

Dave Bolland has proven himself to be a great third liner or a solid second liner. Great player to have on your team but not a first line center.

Then both of these guys got hurt leaving:

Holland who could not make the Anaheim team, not a horrible prospect but obvious holes in his game.

JVR tried out of position and then the experiment quickly forgotten.

Kadri, also best on the wing has been stretched too thin on the top line and has bounced all over the place.

Trevor Smith a career minor leaguer who is recalled to a team as an absolute last resort. Great guy. Bad player.

Essentially, wingers Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Raymond and Lupul are getting absolutely no support from the middle. The club chose to sign Clarkson for a ridiculous contract rather than sign a Derek Roy or Filpulla for half the money. Both are stretched as a top line center as well but at least they play the position and are having good years.

Mikael Grabovski who would not play Carlyle's style and spent last season in the doghouse was bought out and is doing quite well in Washington.

Essentially the club ignored their biggest need and weakened themselves by cutting Grabovski and maxing out the cap by paying Clarkson, who I legitimately do like, double what he is worth.

I love the signing of Bolland and the trade for Bernier. Clarkson I shuddered, not because of the player himself but because of the contract. I really thought they would have been better off with Grabo and letting Bozak go to Calgary instead of overpaying to keep him.

Center. Center. Center. The Leafs ignored the problem, hell if anything they weakened it and hoped for the best. It is biting them hard. Now they will likely have to give up a Franson or a Gardiner to help fill their desperate need.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Kadri actually has looked much better at center than he has on the wing. Unfortunately, his "sophomore" (sort of) season isn't doing him any favours right now. Also, his best buddy Lupul has dried up a good amount too, effectively nullifying the Leafs second offensive line that was a big reason for their success last (sort of) year.

But yes, the center position is still rather weak. I'm not sure keeping Grabovski would make much difference to the situation as, on paper at least, it still looks roughly the same. He may be an improvement over Bozak offensively (although this year Bozie has 22 points in 24 games compared to Grabovski's 33 points in 44 games - so he's been pretty decent), but even with Grabo in there we're still lacking the exact same thing - a top flight center. There is still hope Kadri can develop into that, but, we'll see. 

Although the Grabovski buyout is still a little mind boggling, it really does boil down to getting the third line duty thanks to chemistry between Kadri-Lupul and Bozak-Kessel, and then Carlyle's perception of him not being a good 3rd line center (which I don't think is necessarily true). But that's water under the bridge.

Anydangway, the Leafs beat Boston last night - so clearly all we needed was a good ol' complaining session.

I can forsee Kadri being dealt at the deadline....obviously a nice talent, but his work ethic leaves a lot to be desired, and I suspect the Leafs have grown tired of the dog and pony show. It depends on the return, but they would not be overly weaker going with Bozek, Bolland on the second line and Holland centering the 3rd line. They are set on defense and in net, and the scoring wingers they have are very respectable....I'd take a long hard look at Stasney in Colorado....he's pushed back due to Duchene, O'Riley and McKinnon, but he can still be a ppg guy if put with the right wingers. Pretty sure he will be a UFA next summer, so the asking price would not be out of this world, and he would be a really nice fit.

It really depends on the return for Kadri of course, but I would think that dealing him now would be a bad choice. He's really the only center on the team that may have that high end potential in him (well, Holland might have an outside shot). But hey, we'll see!

Word on the street is that they would trade Kadri, but only if another center was coming back.  I'm not sure what type of return I, as a fan, would expect for Kadri, but I bet the market right now would be a buy low scenario. Apparently, though, the Leafs had received an offer involving a good winger, which is really not what they need right now. By my count, they need centers and right-handed defensemen that can play actual defense.

For the 15 games or so we've seen Bolland, he's been great in a Leaf sweater, but that injury pronededness is frightening. Yes, I just used the word "pronededness".

I like Stastny despite his struggles in recent years, but cap space may be an issue for our beloved perpetual underdogs. Especially if they want to bolster the D.

Fortunately, next year some dead cap will clear up, but contracts like Gleason (replacing Liles' contract) and Clarkson may still hurt a bit. In their defense, Gleason has been pretty decent thus far and I am happy to have Clarkson, but the money....it's just too much. I'm really hoping they don't let McClement get away - without him, the Leafs PK is scary. I'll also be sad if they let Kulemin walk.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its official. Leafs are 11-2-1 in their last 14 games....thus, in future losing streaks, I will be creating threads to counter them.

Damn. when did you guys sneak all those wins in.   :blink:

• 1 month later...

As the Leafs plummet from 2nd in the division to the comfy, warm, familiar, gaping maw that is the playoff "bubble" with a mere 3 game losing streak, I think it's time to resurrect this thread once again.

The question becomes, do we in fact suck again? Or will they make a comeback?

It almost seems like their defensive crapiness is starting to catch up with them and it's scary. I guess without Bernier to bail them out, things are looking grim. Nothing against Reimer who has been quite good, but their playoff chances are getting frighteningly worse.

Thoughts? Observations? Suggestions for Carlyle? Snide remarks?

I think if Reimers confidence level wasn't at zero from Carlyle never playing him unless he felt bernier needed a break we would be fine, I feel bad for reims he has his flaws like rebound control but Carlyle treats him like hes a backup goalie at best and now hes starting to play like one.

Reimer sounded pretty upset at the "he played ok" comments from Carlysle. And rightfully so I thought.

I thouht Carlyle was smarter than that, but apparently not. Stupid comment at a very inopportune time.

I thouht Carlyle was smarter than that, but apparently not. Stupid comment at a very inopportune time.

i think hes was just pissed after reimer let in one he should have had but i mean the defense doesn't play defense when your goalies face 40+ shots every single night its going to be hard to pull out a win, but at the same time if he stuck to the tandem instead of just making reimer the back up he would be a lot more in the zone.

It has seemed to me that Reimer is not on the Carlyle Christmas Card list for quite some time, going back to last season game 7 against the Bruins. Reimer has fallen further and further throughout the season. I remember a game earlier in the year against the Wings in which Reimer was yanked at the end of the first and looked furious at his coach after giving up three in a period. It reminded me of the famous Tremblay/Roy incident but to a much lesser extent as Roy is a HOFer and the only way Reimer is going to the Hall is if he buys a ticket. But the confidence in his goalie is gone like a freight train.

And I am going to stand up for Carlyle here, IMHO he is right, Reimer is not the answer in net and frankly I would move him out as quickly and quietly as possible.

Toronto gets more ink than almost any club, he is probably not as good as everyone thought he was last year or not as bad as he appears this season. A change of scenery is needed both for Reimer and for the Leafs. At this point he cannot be trusted and he has to go.

Edited by yave1964