Time to think draft?

flyercanuck

The Flyers presently sit 4th in the Neapolitan Division with 58 points, 1 point ahead of Carolina who have 2 games in hand. That puts us 18th in the league, but if the teams behind us win their game(s) in hand we could fall to 22nd, and are only 3 points out of 25th. Or, we're 2 wins out of 14th overall. Looking at the sched, it certainly doesn't favour us for the rest of the season, and may well be the toughest schedule in the league...in other words, we've played the easy part.

In a perfect world (IMO) we finish out of the playoffs, driving home the point to Holmgren  and Snider that this team needs help, and not in the "let's trade some youth for some washed up veterans" way. Then, with the draft in Philly, we actually WIN the lottery, draft Aaron Ekblad, and FINALLY get that 2 way defenceman for an entire career.

Now, back to reality. With the schedule ahead and trying to be realistic, this team could squeak in to a playoff spot, only to be annihilated by the Bruins or Pens. Or more likely, drop out of the playoff hunt and fall as far as 25th. Depending on who does what before us, we could end up down the road with that left winger for the top line in Dal Colle (Laughtons linemate) or Perlini (Colts draft pick :) ) or The Beast from the Petes, Nick Ritchie. Or there's defenceman Hayden Fleury. Or maybe we grab more centers? Bennett? Reinhart? Draisatl? I know most of you are thinking "Ya! More centers!!!"

So who do you think ends up picked by the Flyers, or whoever your team is?

@Irishjim

They changed it last year, any team out of the playoffs has a chance to pick 1st overall. But the last place team has a 25? % chance and your odds drop to the 17th place team which has a .5% chance. Teams can only drop one spot.

like the NBA.. makes sense keeps teams from tanking to a point..still pissed about that coin flip thingy..but homer would have traded kane for pavel kubina anyway

@Irishjim

Makes it interesting for fans of teams that suck too. I wonder if they'll throw  the Devils name in there, just to pull it out and say "Devils win the lottery and the 1st choice....oh ya, they forfeit  that pick for circumventing the salary cap on a player they don't even have anymore". It sounds so Holmgrenian it would be fun to see it happen somewhere else  for a change.

Sooooo....who do you like in the draft?

@Irishjim

Makes it interesting for fans of teams that suck too. I wonder if they'll throw  the Devils name in there, just to pull it out and say "Devils win the lottery and the 1st choice....oh ya, they forfeit  that pick for circumventing the salary cap on a player they don't even have anymore". It sounds so Holmgrenian it would be fun to see it happen somewhere else  for a change.

Sooooo....who do you like in the draft?

that be a riot if that happened..as for the draft i don't watch juniors so i can't evaluate a player other than what i read on the interweb.. but we need defense no more centers unless its eric lindros part deux

Here is a current mock:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-NHL-Mock-Draft/

#13 Flyers take Kasperi Kapanen LW (Finland)

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Kasperi-Kapanen

Kasperi Kapanen LW / RW 5'11" 172 lbs

Projected to be drafted in 2014 NHL Draft: 1st Round

He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April. Saw time on the Finnish first line, where he did set up a few scoring chances and also display good responsible work in his own zone. Son of Sami. His Bloodline will call on many scouts to make decisions on just where he fits on their draft boards. So far he looks like a long term project that has some abilities but is still a bit tentative in his play, unwilling to pay the price to make the play.

====================================================================================================

Besides Eckblad, any other good defensive propects?

Found this:

Hayden Fleury (D)

(Canada)  6'2" 204 lbs - Red Deer (OHL)

Big framed physical defenseman who combines good feet, offensive upside with solid defense. Very composed defender with a poise & calm, a good stick, and some aggression in his own zone. Makes solid contact, and his reach helps break up attacks. He is a solid transition passer, and his skating ability makes him good going back up-ice. Has plenty of room to get bigger and stronger. Watching him as an attacker is what has teams hoping he is on the board when they are picking. He patrols the right point as threat in may ways. His skating ability and balance might have him walk the blue line, and thread the needle with a pass to a forward on the half wall, or take the shot as things open . He is good at holding pucks in on the pinch and his long reach lets him them place them in on the attack effectively. A promising prospect that will get bigger and play strong minutes on a NHL team's defensive pairing. Exactly pairing he projects to will be determined as he advances.

Roland McKeown (Defense)
(Canada) 6'1" 185 lbs - Kingston (OHL)

Solid all-around defender with excellent balance, stride and quickness. Positionally solid, and already cool and collected in his game, with excellent vision and reliablity in all situations. Handles the puck well in his own zone, in transistion and on breakouts. displays a hard point shot. If he is able to grow a bit more edge, he will climb up the rankings. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, 2013.

Edited by pilldoc

from yet another site:

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2014/

#13 Flyers take Ivan Barbashev LW (Moncton)

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/ivan-barbashev/19503/

Ivan Barbashev LW / C (from Russia) 6'0" 185 lbs

Hard working wing with quickness, good anticipation, and smarts. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April.

Edited by pilldoc

Thinking draft....yeah I know way to early but what the heck.  Besides a good solid D-man, the Flyers need a sniper or another scorer.  As had been mentioned before NO MORE CENTERS!  Just took a quick look at what the scouts say. I don't watch juniors so I am going strictly off these reports.  For those that watch junior more than I do...please feel free to chime in.

Michael dal Colle (LW/C)
(Canada) 6'1" 179 lbs - Oshawa (OHL)

Big bodied forward who plays strong on the puck with very good hands, balance, and power to his stride. Life-long centre currently being asked to play wing. he is good along the wall and clogs the front in anticipation of teammate's shots. Good passer with a longer reach and solid in his own zone. Solid 200 foot player whose frame looks to get thicker and make him even more of a load on the wall and in the slot. Far from the finished product, but reads the ice well and distributes the puck well on the attack. Final rank will be closely tied with how he develops by the draft.

Nick Ritchie (RW)
(Canada) 6'2" 230 lbs - Peterbourough

Tough and quick, he is a good playmaker and scorer. Strong on the forecheck and in the battle areas. 200 lber with great size, good on-ice vision soft mitts, and quick release and natural goal scoring instincts. Working to be a stronger forechecker, and improve as a two-way player. Already displays skill and physical presence. Aggressive physical player with good agility and footwork. punishing hitter. Emerging offensive player.who is difficult to move off the puck. Uses his core strength and skating strides to cause problems defending. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, 2013.

Brendan Perlini (LW)
(Canada) 6'2" 205 lbs - Niagara (OHL)

A bigger man with great skating ability, good hockey IQ, and strong skating stride. Plays strong on the puck, and has displayed considerable scoring ability in the early going.

Jake Virtanen (RW)
(Canada) 6'0" 208 lbs - Calgary (WHL)

Physically punishing forward who skates really well. He goes to the net with abandon, and scores a lot inside the circles. Ultra-aggressive stronger skating attacker who can make plays at top speed, dangle though defenders one on one, and create havoc in the battle areas. Displays a really good release and shot who jumps out at you when you watch him.

Nikolya Goldobin (RW/LW)
(Russia) 5'11" 178 lbs - Sarnia (OHL)

Import player who seems to have all the offensive skills to be a very successful NHL down the road. Undeniable weapon who can dangle, set up and score, putting defenders on their heals. Sneaks into the soft areas and lets go with a lethal shot. Lost in his own zone, and needs plenty more strength and commitment to be a better back-end player. The fact that Ilya Kovalchuk walked away from his NHL career to easily find a new buyer in the KHL further complicates the NHL decision in regards to drafting skilled Russian-born prospects, including those who have shown the willingness to come over in the season prior to their draft year.

David Pastrnak (LW/C)
(Czech Republic) 5'10" 165 lbs - Jonkoping (HV71)

Smaller wing/centre who has great feet and hands and tons of dangle and nose for the net. Really good when he has the puck and handles it whether he has open space or under pressure. One-on-one he is a joy to watch, as he seems to have a holster full of moves that thwart defenders. Displays a quick release and rocket shot that catches goalies by surprise. Not a burner North-South or great defensively yet, but he moves quickly laterally and turns and jukes and provides plenty of excitement for those in the seats. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, 2013.

Nikolai Ehlers (LW)
(Denmark) 5'11" 170 lbs - Halifax (MJAHL)

A Danish blazer who has high end acceleration and a set of gears. Fearless in traffic. Possesses an excellent wrist shot. Can makes plays while moving at his top gear. A bit undersized, but developing in all phases.

Anyway here are some of them......

you can find the complete list at:

Edited by pilldoc

@pilldoc

I'm kind of hoping we draft earlier than 13th and either get a quality defenceman (Ekblad ...in our dreams, but Fleury or McKeown would be nice) or that true left winger since there are several, though I'm not big on Kapanen, though if he had his fathers heart I'd take him. I'd be thrilled with Dal Colle, but Perlini or Ritchie would be nice.

@pilldoc

I'm kind of hoping we draft earlier than 13th and either get a quality defenceman (Ekblad ...in our dreams, but Fleury or McKeown would be nice) or that true left winger since there are several, though I'm not big on Kapanen, though if he had his fathers heart I'd take him. I'd be thrilled with Dal Colle, but Perlini or Ritchie would be nice.

I'd like Ekblad too but I'm counting on this bunch to do exactly what they did last year eff up the draft pick so I figured it would be around 17th-19th type pick and that is where Kapenen may fall...but honestly I'd take the best player available....whomever that may be.

@OccamsRazor

BPA always in the 1st round.

I don't like hearing that a junior player doesn't like to go to the dirty areas. If he's reluctant then, it can only get worse with NHL defencemen hammering you in front of the net and in the corners...big red flag for me with Kapanen.

@jammer2

Ya, they took Kempe with their 2nd import pick. They took Gibl 1st, thinking he'd become the starter in net this year, but 16 year old Blackwood stole the job. Gibl will be the last Euro goalie selected by a CHL team. The Colts are really high on kempe and hope to get him here next year.

• 1 month later...

ISS still has Ekblad at #1.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104795/iss-draft-rankings-top-5-remains-unchanged-as-ekblad-tightens-grip-on-top-ranking/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=iss-draft-rankings-top-5-remains-unchanged-as-ekblad-tightens-grip-on-top-ranking

Ritchie has dropped to #12. If Philly picks somewhere around there and he's available what's not to like? Potential top line LWer who's already around 6'3" 230 lbs with soft hands, wicked shot, physical and can skate. His injury issues are the likely reason for his fall. In 59 games this year with the Petes he's got 39g 33a for 72 points and 134 pims.