Decent Article on Simon Gagne

AlaskaFlyerFan

Are you serious? My sarcasm wasn't even remotely subtle.

Gagne is done and has been for several seasons now. Flyers fans clinging to this guy is pathetic, especially when they cry about VLC and Streit on a daily basis. I got new for you, as bad as their contracts are, both of them still contribute and are better options than a constantly injured player who was burnout by his late 20s. Hell, he had trouble staying healthy in his prime. If Gagne had no previous affiliation to this team and Homer went out and signed him there would be an uproar.

I hate to break the news but Vinny is Cooked.  He plays like an Old Man out there and Streit is just OK sometimes. but we have all slammed the same guys on here so, so what? they stink..

I hate to say it but I think you may be right about VLC... he just looks bad right now.   I am hoping it is a confidence issue but it does not look good.  

I was hoping he could snap out of the funk but man it is very noticable down there watching him, he almost looks like he is playing hurt.

Something is wrong,,,

I hate to break the news but Vinny is Cooked.  He plays like an Old Man out there and Streit is just OK sometimes. but we have all slammed the same guys on here so, so what? they stink..

I don't hate anything about breaking this to you, but Vinny has played 297 games in the last 5 seasons (including 47 this year). Gagne has played 193 during the same span of time and is currently doing interviews about how he wishes he was still playing. If Vinny is cooked, what does that make Gagne?

If you want to discuss VLC's play and contract, that is fair game, but anyone saying they'd pick Gagne over Vinny is basing that on nothing more than nostalgia.

I don't hate anything about breaking this to you, but Vinny has played 297 games in the last 5 seasons (including 47 this year). Gagne has played 193 during the same span of time and is currently doing interviews about how he wishes he was still playing. If Vinny is cooked, what does that make Gagne?

If you want to discuss VLC's play and contract, that is fair game, but anyone saying they'd pick Gagne over Vinny is basing that on nothing more than nostalgia.

And contracts....

And contracts....

No it isn't, because if you cared about the team wasting money, you wouldn't be pining for a guy who has missed the kind of time he has over his career. If you don't want VLC, fine, but there's plenty of other viable options in the league than Simon Gagne. People only want Gagne because they like him, not because he makes the team better.

Dan Cleary has played more games this year than Gagne and there were people saying he was a disaster waiting to happen (also because of health). So he "would have been" a had signing, Vinny is, but Gagne is a viable option? Please, that's pathetic.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

I'm thinking people mean lesser of evils / bad ideas? I'd prefer Gagne for nostalgia, leadership, decent contract likely, and all around skill for the expected price. But then again, it didn't happen.

• Like 1

No it isn't, because if you cared about the team wasting money, you wouldn't be pining for a guy who has missed the kind of time he has over his career. If you don't want VLC, fine, but there's plenty of other viable options in the league than Simon Gagne. People only want Gagne because they like him, not because he makes the team better.

Dan Cleary has played more games this year than Gagne and there were people saying he was a disaster waiting to happen (also because of health). So he "would have been" a had signing, Vinny is, but Gagne is a viable option? Please, that's pathetic.

Who am I "pining" for? I said I'd rather have him than trade a 2nd rounder for the same type of player. And ya, I'd rather have Gagne, or Cleary, or anyone on a one year contract than Vinnie on a 5 year. If that's "pining" the definition has changed since I last knew it.

Flip the coin V3 just like Homer Did.  What is your point and to who? I just stated that Vinny looks cooked.

Edited by Erfurter1937

I'm thinking people mean lesser of evils / bad ideas? I'd prefer Gagne for nostalgia, leadership, decent contract likely, and all around skill for the expected price. But then again, it didn't happen.

It shouldn't be a Vinny or Gagne discussion is my point. If you don't like or want Vinny, there are so many other names you could pick before going right to Gagne.

Who am I "pining" for? I said I'd rather have him than trade a 2nd rounder for the same type of player. And ya, I'd rather have Gagne, or Cleary, or anyone on a one year contract than Vinnie on a 5 year. If that's "pining" the definition has changed since I last knew it.

Gagne's name shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's sitting at home for a reason. He hasn't been healthy for years.Considering how much you bitch about Homer signing old, injury-plageued players, your longing for Gagne is nothing more than clining to the past. If Gagne had no attachment to this organization, he's exactly the kind of player you'd rip Homer for signing.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Flip the coin V3 just like Homer Did.  What is your point and to who? I just stated that Vinny looks cooked.

Again, if he's cooked, what does that make Gagne? If you don't like Vinny, I have no problem with that at all, but don't feed me this "Gagne is better" crap. The only reason people are talking about him is because they like him, feel bad for him, and just want anothe reason to pile on Homer, not because he's the best (or even one of the best) options out there. When you look at this from a hockey standpoint, the decision is an easy one. There's a reason he's sitting at home and nobody is calling.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Gagne's name shouldn't even be in the conversation. He's sitting at home for a reason. He hasn't been healthy for years.Considering how much you bitch about Homer signing old, injury-plageued players, your longing for Gagne is nothing more than clining to the past. If Gagne had no attachment to this organization, he's exactly the kind of player you'd rip Homer for signing.

Yes, I'm longing for Gagne.

Except I hadn't mentioned him once until this thread popped up and I said , and this time I'll say it slowly so you understand....that... I'd... rather ..take... him... than... trade... something... of... value.. for.. a.. similiar.. player. Or, have...him..on...a..one...year....over....VLCs....five.

Comprende'?

What's next, I'm jonesing for Gagne? Lusting?

Yes, I'm longing for Gagne.

Except I hadn't mentioned him once until this thread popped up and I said , and this time I'll say it slowly so you understand....that... I'd... rather ..take... him... than... trade... something... of... value.. for.. a.. similiar.. player. Or, have...him..on...a..one...year....over....VLCs....five.

Comprende'?

What's next, I'm jonesing for Gagne? Lusting?

Who cares how long the contract would be? When was the last time Gagne actually played just one year? Gagne is older, less  healthy, and isn't even playing. As much as you don't like Vinny and his contract, it's still better than what Gagne is capable of. If he wasn't a former (and beloved) Flyer, you wouldn't even care about him. He's exactly the kind of guy you'd trash Homer for signing.

@fanaticV3.0

You're right fanatic..., I wish they'd sign Gagne to a 5 year deal with a NMC. I haven't stopped thinking about him since last year. I've been starting threads about it on a weekly basis. I even made a "Bring Simon and his Lamborgini back to the Flyers where he belongs" website . The secrets out...I can't live without Simon Gagne.

• Like 1

Who cares how long the contract would be? When was the last time Gagne actually played just one year? Gagne is older, less healthy, and isn't even playing. As much as you don't like Vinny and his contract, it's still better than what Gagne is capable of. If he wasn't a former (and beloved) Flyer, you wouldn't even care about him. He's exactly the kind of guy you'd trash Homer for signing.

Very fair point on the last part.

Gagne can't play though. It doesn't matter how cheap he is or how short his contract is, the guy is done. He's not worth a roster spot anymore.

Completely agree. Yes, he's healthy now and should be grateful for that, but he's injured if he pays again. The guy is done.

People can believe whatever they want. People can believe he's not done. They can believe clouds are really the asses of cute ethereal bunnies.

But if we're keeping this to reality, he's done

My point was I'd rather bring him in for the remainder of the year than have Homer trade something of value for another player his age with maybe 2 or 3 years left on a contract.

This I'd buy

@JackStrawWould have loved to see on more year in the O&B for a beloved Flyer legend.

I wonder if this is the crux of why I don't agree with those who think he can or should be playing, particularly with the Flyers.

I would NEVER refer to Simon Gagne as a Flyer legend. Keep in mind I'm not saying someone who feels that way is wrong; just that it would never occur to me to use that terminology in regard to Gagne.

I don't dislike the guy. He was an above average player and did some good things, but for *me* "legend" just doesn't work.

As far as current things go, I think he's a whiney little bitch. He ran his side of the business like a rookie moron last summer and let egoist delusion impair his judgement.

Further, I wouldn't want to resign him for the reasons I didn't want VLC. Give the spot to a kid.

I will, however, say that Gagne might have been a better decision than VLC given that he would have been cheaper, signed a shorter deal, and is A WINGER.

I also have no problem with FC's thought that he is even more a better option than trading a pic for exactly the same type of player. Sign him for the stretch of you have the cap room.

But I'm willing to bet my lunch that he gets hurt.

@ruxpin

Further, I wouldn't want to resign him for the reasons I didn't want VLC. Give the spot to a kid.

I will, however, say that Gagne might have been a better decision than VLC given that he would have been cheaper, signed a shorter deal, and is A WINGER.

the problem i see is, we're not giving the spot to a kid to see how he'd do, we sign VLC to a ridiculous contract in a position we are stacked at.  For those reasons alone, Gagne would have been a better choice for a short contract with minor money.

@fanaticV3.0

You're right fanatic..., I wish they'd sign Gagne to a 5 year deal with a NMC. I haven't stopped thinking about him since last year. I've been starting threads about it on a weekly basis. I even made a "Bring Simon and his Lamborgini back to the Flyers where he belongs" website . The secrets out...I can't live without Simon Gagne.

How about that Vinny Lecalvier? 3 points since returning from the Olympic break and a game winner yesterday. Still, we could have had Gagne.

@fanaticV3.0

And I'd have no problem with Vinnie...if he wasn't signed for FIVE years. 

If you watched the game yesterday, VLC had about as much impact as Gagne did for the regulation part of the game. Can't wait to see how great he is in 3 or 4 years.

Signed

Swooning for Gagne

@ruxpin

the problem i see is, we're not giving the spot to a kid to see how he'd do, we sign VLC to a ridiculous contract in a position we are stacked at.  For those reasons alone, Gagne would have been a better choice for a short contract with minor money.

In the context of signing Gagne vs. signing VLC, it's hard to argue with you.  The knock I have on Gagne is his ability to stay healthy.  I don't think VLC does any better in that department.

When you figure Gagne probably would have been a 1-2 year contract for a lot less money AND played a position we actually needed help with (as opposed to center where we already had a baker's dozen).

So, in that context I agree with you.