Decent Article on Simon Gagne

AlaskaFlyerFan

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140224_Ex-Flyer_Gagne_would_rather_be_playing.html

MONTREAL - Just as the sun crackled over the Mount Royal summit yesterday, throngs of people made their usual weekend pilgrimage downtown.

The route and ritual was familiar, if not the time of day.

Fans clad in red and white streamed past Bell Centre, hockey's current cathedral, and packed bars - before liquor was even allowed to be served - to share in the camaraderie of this country's golden hockey generation.

When the final horn sounded in Sochi and all of Canada erupted, the bright lights were once again shining on former Flyers forward Simon Gagne.

Yet these lights, burning in the TVA studio in Montreal, were much different than the ones beaming on him 12 years ago when Gagne jumped into the arms of a waiting Martin Brodeur on the ice in Salt Lake City to celebrate Canada's first Olympic gold medal in men's hockey in more than five decades.

Even in yesterday's hedonistic setting, in a country where hockey is religion, something was missing. While Gagne was reliving his Olympic memories on-air in French for all of Quebec to see, he was simultaneously wrestling with the fade of his playing career at the too-young age of 33.

Gagne, who turns 34 on Friday, does not have an NHL contract - but he isn't ready or willing to sign retirement papers just yet.

In fact, when TVA contacted him in December about his availability to serve as a panelist for its Olympic broadcasts, he politely declined. He was still in contact with at least one NHL team about playing this season.

"I told them I was not willing to do it, I wasn't sure if I was going to play," Gagne said yesterday in a wide-ranging interview with the Daily News. "I wasn't ready to turn the page to next year. Once I saw that was not going to work out, I thought I might try TV a little bit to see if I like it, maybe it would be fun in the future. I thought the Olympics might be a great moment to start."

With injuries grinding his career to a rapid and unceremonious halt, it is easy to forget exactly how impressive a player Gagne was at his best.

Yes, he was a two-time NHL All-Star (2001, '07) and two-time winner of the Bobby Clarke Trophy (2006, '07) as the Flyers' team MVP. He was named to the NHL's all-rookie team in 2000.

More importantly, he was one of Canada's top 12 forwards for three consecutive best-on-best tournaments: 2002 Olympics, 2005 World Championships (during NHL lockout) and 2006 Olympics. He captured the 2012 Stanley Cup with the Los Angeles Kings - and played in the Cup-clinching game after returning from injury - but few exploits stack up to Salt Lake.

"I have moved around a lot in the last few years, to Florida and to LA and Philly, but the gold medal is one of the things I keep taking with me," Gagne said. "Once in a while, I go look in the box and check to make sure it is still there."

Talking about hockey yesterday confirmed Gagne's desire to still play. Up until December, he was skating three times a day near his house in Quebec City. He has scaled back now, but is still not far from playing shape.

Five months into the season, Gagne still has trouble believing he is not playing with the Flyers this season. When last season ended with eight points in his final 13 games, then-coach Peter Laviolette called Gagne one of the team's best forwards.

All summer, it appeared Gagne was a lock to fill out the Flyers' roster - until he was never invited to training camp. To this day, he feels like he was perhaps strung along.

"It's in the past, but every time I think about it, it's tough to swallow," Gagne said. "I think a lot if it is maybe my fault. I think maybe I had too much confidence in the Flyers.

"I had my meeting with [general manager] Paul Holmgren before the free-agent market opened and he told me to hang tight. I thought I was going to be with the Flyers. That didn't work the way it was supposed to. I made the mistake of telling team employees the Flyers were the only team I wanted to play for this season. I got caught up."

While no one will shed a tear for Gagne - who earned $42.8 million in his 14-year career - he was a victim of loyalty and circumstance. Never before in the NHL had the salary cap gone down, as it decreased by $6 million last summer.

By September, it was tough to get a job elsewhere. No team was willing to offer him a guaranteed contract, though many called with tryout deals. Now, Gagne knows a tryout deal is all that may be left for him this summer.

The risk is Gagne's health. He has 597 points in 799 career games, but he has missed 233 regular-season games and another 43 playoff contests over the years. When he is healthy, Gagne is a talented and clutch scorer - it is impossible to forget his gutty playoff comeback series against Boston in 2010.

"With all of my injuries, I knew the end was going to come at one point," Gagne said. "But watching games, I still believe I can play, I know I could do a lot better than some of these guys. It is all about the health issues in my past. When you give big money to players, you want them to play and not sit on the bench. I totally understand that."

The blessing - and the curse - is that he is completely healthy now. Gagne is thankful his neck, head and groin issues are behind him and he wakes up energized each day to play with his daughter Lily (3) and son Matthew (4). But he is bothered to not have a job.

Gagne is not ready to quit just yet. Bad feelings aside, if last season was his last game in an NHL uniform, he is thrilled it was in Flyers orange.

"I'm keeping my options open," Gagne said. "I'm really glad I had the chance to come back and say a proper goodbye. It's still the best place for a hockey player to play."

-------------------------------

I wouldn't have a problem if the Flyers signed him on the cheap for the rest of the year.

Is the one NHL team the Flyers?   There has been no word about Gagne until the above story.  

I agree AFF, he would be a nice addition to the team for the remainder of the season.

@hf101,

No idea who the one team is. I would think the Islanders will be checking on Simon now that Tavares is injured.

Really he shoul have been here all along.

When he arrived last year is when this team stablized and started playing decent hockey again.

He's exactly what was missing early. But at this point I'm not sure where he fits in. Gagne is not a fourth line player and I just don't see room on the top 3 lines.

If you make a trade for a more competent D man and gagne can get himself in shape them I think he's an excellent acquisition for a couple of years. Should have been here the whole time really.

Home played that one very poorly. No character.

He's a guy I'd have no problem bringing back for the right amount. Beats trading a 2nd rounder for the same type of player.

Gagne would have been a better signing than VLC. Would have been available cheaper, and at a shorter term. Plays left wing instead of a center. Could play on the second or third line and provide a veteran presence.

Why are there still stories about this guy? He adds nothing significant to a roster anymore and hasn't for years now. I have absolutely nothing against him, but why do people still talk about him? He's done and has been done for several seasons. Let it go. Any one of you saying you'd sign him should never comment on the Flyers signing an older, beat up, washed up, or too expensive veteran ever again, because he's the definition of that. It's hypocrisy to bitch about their signings, but to long for this guy because of your sentimentality towards him.

@fanaticV3.0

I believe that Gagne can still play!  I think he could have / should have been used as a bridge to the next generation of Flyers (both as a wing and a mentor). 

I don't think anyone is saying he would be what gets us to the promised land, but we could've used him for the next year or two at a nice cap hit, instead of signing VLC to a long term deal, etc.  I think Simon got screwed by the Flyers to some degree as I believe he would've played for almost anything just to be able to retire a Flyer.

I

@fanaticV3.0

I believe that Gagne can still play!  I think he could have / should have been used as a bridge to the next generation of Flyers (both as a wing and a mentor). 

I don't think anyone is saying he would be what gets us to the promised land, but we could've used him for the next year or two at a nice cap hit, instead of signing VLC to a long term deal, etc.  I think Simon got screwed by the Flyers to some degree as I believe he would've played for almost anything just to be able to retire a Flyer.

I

But 30 different GMs don't. I think I'm with them on this issue. 

VLC has already produced in half a season what Gagne would have in 2. The guy is sitting at home because everyone knows he can't produce anymore.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Gagne can't play though. It doesn't matter how cheap he is or how short his contract is, the guy is done. He's not worth a roster spot anymore.

Did you watch any Flyers games after they signed him last year? He was arguably the team's 2nd best forward after Giroux. He can still skate, he still has good hands, and he's still a smart player. He's not a star anymore but he can still play. He proved it last year.

That said, as much as i really like him, other than for sentimental reasons (which I would not object to) I don't know it makes sense for the Flyers. It's better for the team's future to have Raffl (who is probably the closest to a Gagne type player on the team now, apart from the fact that he wears #12) getting those minutes rather than Gags.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 2

Did you watch any Flyers games after they signed him last year? He was arguably the team's 2nd best forward after Giroux. He can still skate, he still has good hands, and he's still a smart player. He's not a star anymore but he can still play. He proved it last year.

That said, as much as i really like him, other than for sentimental reasons (which I would not object to) I don't know it makes sense for the Flyers. It's better for the team's future to have Raffl (who is probably the closest to a Gagne type player on the team now, apart from the fact that he wears #12) getting those minutes rather than Gags.

Nope, not a single one. In fact, I made an effort not to. What kind of dumb question is this? Even you admit he's not worth a roster spot and he still remains jobless. Who'd thunk that one

Edited by fanaticV3.0

Nope, not a single one. In fact, I made an effort not to. What kind of dumb question is this? Even you admit he's not worth a roster spot and he still remains jobless. Who'd thunk that one

Gagne can't play though

You claimed he can't play. I replied that he can still play, and proved it last year. Since you didn't actually watch him play last year, I guess your ignorance is understandable. In this particular case anyway.

I don't particularly give the hind quarters of a rodent if he's playing or not, but there are many reasons that Gagne doesn't have a job this season. "He can't play any more" isn't near the top of the list.

1) The cap went down - 8 of 30 teams have $0 projected cap space on capgeek. 11 more have less than $1.5M

2) Gagne was an idiot and believed Homer was going to re-sign him - he turned down offers for tryouts and told his agent to not pursue other offers. To be clear: there were other teams who were interested in signing Gagne during the off-season - GMs don't typically pursue players they don't think can play any more. Most of them, anyway...

3) many teams - especially the ones who *do* have cap space - aren't looking for the "veteran presence" for a playoff run, they're looking to evaluate younger talent for the long term.

Wouldn't surprise me - with an increased cap - to see him signed next season. Wouldn't surprise me if he never laced up the skates again in the NHL.

Would shock the hell out of me if he signed with the Flyers on anything more than a "retire a Flyer" basis.

You claimed he can't play. I replied that he can still play, and proved it last year. Since you didn't actually watch him play last year, I guess your ignorance is understandable. In this particular case anyway.

Are you serious? My sarcasm wasn't even remotely subtle.

Gagne is done and has been for several seasons now. Flyers fans clinging to this guy is pathetic, especially when they cry about VLC and Streit on a daily basis. I got new for you, as bad as their contracts are, both of them still contribute and are better options than a constantly injured player who was burnout by his late 20s. Hell, he had trouble staying healthy in his prime. If Gagne had no previous affiliation to this team and Homer went out and signed him there would be an uproar.

Did you watch any Flyers games after they signed him last year?

I did and i thought he was what was expected always solid in his defensive zone coverage and he looked like one of the best forwars heading down the stretch heading into the playoffs despite all their injuries on the blueline.

I guess that is why i was shocked they didn't bring him back.

But he is responsible in turning the team around and helping them play better, so its his fault they screwed that draft pick up by playing better...maybe that is why Homer is mad at him maybe Homer wasn't expecting Simon to come in and improve the play of the team.

Maybe Homer was listening to rumors that he couldn't play anymore and was hoping to bring him in and they would lose a lot of games with instead it back fired in his face....all i got. Simon can still play from what i saw.

Edited by OccamsRazor

I would have been ok with a one year deal for 1.5 mill or so. Even if he did not play and sat in the press box, our kids could have learned some valuable traits from Simon....like how to go to bed earlly on game nights and resist the urge to go out and party etc....I think his skills have greatly diminished, but a one year deal would not have hurt us, he still has the wheels and is an experienced pk guy. It would have been smart to keep him around and let a true pro rub off on our impresionable kids.

I would have been ok with a one year deal for 1.5 mill or so. Even if he did not play and sat in the press box, our kids could have learned some valuable traits from Simon....like how to go to bed earlly on game nights and resist the urge to go out and party etc....I think his skills have greatly diminished, but a one year deal would not have hurt us, he still has the wheels and is an experienced pk guy. It would have been smart to keep him around and let a true pro rub off on our impresionable kids.

I think part of the decline in skills I saw last year was just rust. The guy basically spent most of the season in the press box. He won't be scoring 40 (or even 30) again but I think there is more skill there than what we saw last year. And I think he still put up points at a decent pace. Would much rather have signed him than VLC personally

@JackStraw  I agree to a certain extent, there was def some rust there with Simon. I'd be ok with a one year deal, but nothing long term obviously. Would have loved to see on more year in the O&B for a beloved Flyer legend. A homegrown draft pick who made it big, great story and even better person. Still seething mad how Homer tossed him out like a pee soaked newspaper, he deserved so much better treatment than that!

This is indeed an interesting topic and he was one of my favorite players to wear O&B. 

With that being said I think we need to look at this in 2 ways:  (1) Would Simon have been a better choice than VLC and (2) can he still help this Team - as it is currently constructed.  

As for # 1 - I would say Gagne would have cost pennies on a VLC dollar for a 1 year deal and he actually plays wing.  He is sound defensively and still has decent skills.  To piggy-back off of Rad I do believe he was a victim of the cap going down this year.   Yes, he has been injury prone in recent years but that is a wash IMO b/c VLC has been in and out of the lineup in past years as well.   Oh, and there would have been no ridiculous NMC to handicap us down the line.

As for #2 - Reality is that we have VLC here and most likely we are stuck with him.   The way they Team is constructed we have a 14 year NHL vet that has always played Center who is forced to play wing.   I just dont see where Gagne would fit on this Team right now.   I would not be signing him to play on the 4th line as it would make no sense.

My conclusion:  Should have signed him to a one year deal and never signed VLC.   But, Homie dont play that way!   VLC is here and I just do not see a spot for Gagne on this Team.   I hope he is able to find a spot somewhere but I dont think it is in Philly.

My conclusion:  Should have signed him to a one year deal and never signed VLC.   But, Homie dont play that way!   VLC is here and I just do not see a spot for Gagne on this Team.   I hope he is able to find a spot somewhere but I dont think it is in Philly.

Yeah, pretty much this.

My conclusion: Should have signed him to a one year deal and never signed VLC. But, Homie dont play that way! VLC is here and I just do not see a spot for Gagne on this Team. I hope he is able to find a spot somewhere but I dont think it is in Philly.

A vey logical conclusion.