For Sale: The Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo Rick

It seems like the entire team is for sale.  There  is an 800 pound Elephant in the room and even Enroth cannot escape the microphones in his face after each game with the topic of Ryan Miller's likely soon exit.  The big question is how smart and "connected" is this Murray.  I loath his brother.  cannot stand him.  I cannot stand anything to do with Ottawa.  And this guy is going to decide our fate?  Pegula has said he will spend whatever is necessary to get this team to the promised land.  Well I hope Pat La/fontainne has some say in all of this.  Drafting is not so difficult as the homework is more or less done for you by the group of so called experts in the hockey media.  But free agency is not so easy.  And they must get some free agents.  I have heard Calahan's name come up.  He is a Rochester NY native.  Greece to be exact, a suburb here.  So he likely grew up a Sabres fan like Patrick Kane.  Now there is a guy I wish we could get.  I do not know what road they will go down.  But there are some keepers here and Girgensons is one that really stands out

@Hockey Junkie

I think I recall free agency not working so well for you guys when Pegula first threw a truckload of money at it.

IMO the draft is what will make the Sabres sink or swim. You fill in the pieces with free agents, but you'd better build your nucleus through drafting.

@Hockey Junkie

I think I recall free agency not working so well for you guys when Pegula first threw a truckload of money at it.

IMO the draft is what will make the Sabres sink or swim. You fill in the pieces with free agents, but you'd better build your nucleus through drafting.

Drafting is a must  But so too is free agency.  We must get a couple of quality players that way.  Of course it may depend on Miller, Ott and Moulson and what happens to them.  Kesler wants out of Vancouver.  In my mind we should go after Kesler

I believe D'Agostini and Flynn have earned a right to play next year.  Girgensons for sure.  Myers is going no where either.  We know who the dead wood players are.  Stafford leads the list.  Weber leads the defensive list.  I do not think this team is as  bad as their record as seen last night.  Beating a rested Boston team is a good sign.  When you go through all the turmoil off the ice the Sabres have gone through, its going to reflect on the ice.  Regier ripped this team apart and now Nolan has somehow gotten a makeshift unit look like a not so bad NHL team again.  

I believe D'Agostini and Flynn have earned a right to play next year.  Girgensons for sure.  Myers is going no where either.  We know who the dead wood players are.  Stafford leads the list.  Weber leads the defensive list.  I do not think this team is as  bad as their record as seen last night.  Beating a rested Boston team is a good sign.  When you go through all the turmoil off the ice the Sabres have gone through, its going to reflect on the ice.  Regier ripped this team apart and now Nolan has somehow gotten a makeshift unit look like a not so bad NHL team again.  

Drafting is a must  But so too is free agency.  We must get a couple of quality players that way.  Of course it may depend on Miller, Ott and Moulson and what happens to them.  Kesler wants out of Vancouver.  In my mind we should go after Kesler

you do realize kesler has a no trade/move clause (you can thank homers offer sheet for that) why the hell would he wave it to go to a rebuilding team.. hey man shoot for the stars make an offer for shea weber  :ph34r:

@Hockey Junkie  I think part of the problem is, you have to build a bit through the draft before a free agent who is decent is gonna want to reside in Buffalo. Either that or you pay a couple mill extra to lure them to a losing team, which is not a good option either. I'd add the odd free agent, but honestly, like fc said, you have to get a foundation through the draft. Callahan would be an unwise investment also, he's gonna want 7 mill a year for his leadership and 20 goals. I'd rather stick with Ott....lol.

@Hockey Junkie  I think part of the problem is, you have to build a bit through the draft before a free agent who is decent is gonna want to reside in Buffalo. Either that or you pay a couple mill extra to lure them to a losing team, which is not a good option either. I'd add the odd free agent, but honestly, like fc said, you have to get a foundation through the draft. Callahan would be an unwise investment also, he's gonna want 7 mill a year for his leadership and 20 goals. I'd rather stick with Ott....lol.

With a committed owner in Pegula I think Buffalo is more desirable than many places like Winnipeg or Florida for instance.  Or Edmonton or Calgary even.  Buffalo is a great hockey town.  

Miller is listed to go tomorrow but he has already sort of started to  thank the fans and more or less say his goodbyes.  The Buffalo News is putting up clips of famous saves by Miller.  But nothing is sealed in stone yet

@Hockey Junkie  I'll give you Winnipeg, even Buffalo is more fun than that hell hole....apologies to pods. Florida, I can see rich NHL'ers wanting to live there rather than Buffalo. Probably a tie with Calgary on the fun index, but Edmonton might as well be the North Pole...you have it on them also.

@Hockey Junkie

Reloading and rebuilding can be done quickly, you just need the right people at the top. The NJ Devils were able to do that all the time because they had such a great farm system, and a GM that knew what he was doing.

Well here we have a guy with an ounce of common sense about him unlike his Flyer counterparts that believe that we are living in the 60's

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie  I'll give you Winnipeg, even Buffalo is more fun than that hell hole....apologies to pods. Florida, I can see rich NHL'ers wanting to live there rather than Buffalo. Probably a tie with Calgary on the fun index, but Edmonton might as well be the North Pole...you have it on them also.

Scotty Bowman still has a house in WNY. Lots of former players stay in the area.

Buffalo's a short flight from just about everything. Great location and convenient to Canada for expats.

You will be hard-pressed to find a better hockey town, despite the fortunes of their NHL squad. People up there know their hockey and appreciate it.

Scotty Bowman still has a house in WNY. Lots of former players stay in the area.

Buffalo's a short flight from just about everything. Great location and convenient to Canada for expats.

You will be hard-pressed to find a better hockey town, despite the fortunes of their NHL squad. People up there know their hockey and appreciate it.

Well I thank you for that comment and it is true it is a great hockey town.  Back when the old Buffalo Bisons were wrecking the AHL and Vancouver was doing the same in the Pacific league, most knew those towns deserved an NHL team.  It only took Buffalo 5 years to make the finals, of course we had a guy named Perrault after winning a famous coin flip vs Vancouver.  The Sabres will rise from the ash's again.  I assure you.  And I believe we will be in the finals before Edmonton, Winnipeg, Florida or any of those non desirable locations

Speaking of Bowman, I was at a Rochester Amerks game one night and he was sitting right behind me in the stands.  Alone and in average seats.   His late brother was a scout for Buffalo and Scotty lives in Buffalo.

Edited by Hockey Junkie

I didn't articulate it very well, but I was factoring weather into the equation.