Murray: "If [Nolan] wants to be here, I want him to be our coach.”

radoran

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/mike-harrington/sabres8217-situation-is-as-clear-as-mud-20140302

Murray’s feeling on the coach is pretty much this: We’ve got a deal on the table – one the team nearly announced on Tuesday – so you can take it or go coach in Latvia because no one else in the NHL will touch you if you turn this one down.

Fair enough. Murray needs to get the Nolan situation ironed out, too. If LaFontaine really resigned, Nolan would have to simply understand. It would be career suicide not to. But if Nolan believes LaFontaine was wronged, as he clearly does, he may not work with this ownership group – even if that means he’s done in the NHL.

Murray is leaving that up to Nolan.

“I just want people that want to be here to be here,” Murray said. “If he wants to be here, I want him to be our coach.”

Nolan has a lot at stake.  I think he really wants the job.  I know he is very fond of most of his players. 

He has more integrity than me.  He might walk. 

Every time I worked for an autocratic boss,  I shut my mouth.  Waited for an opportunity to stick  it to them. 

Edited by blocker

LaFontaine is coming off as a hothead who has run out on the two teams he has long term history with. 

From where I come from, the General Manager is the guy with the responsibility of constructing the team. The Grand Exalted Poohbah of All Operating Things Hockey-Related or whatever doesn't get an automatic veto. If the GM disagrees with the Grand Exalted Poohbah what else is he supposed to do but push the issue with the owner - who obviously agreed with the GM over the GEP.

If Ott and Miller said they were not going to sign before free agency, then you have to see what you can get for them. The return was fine and can expand if Halak and/or Stewart (and Moulson) are also moved. Rather than lose three key players to free agency for effectively nothing, they have acquired potential building blocks for the next 5-7 years.

I can respect Nolan doing something "out of principle" and that is his right, but I think you have to choose your battles. The article's note about a "novice GM" not being able to tell the coach that he has to pull two guys out of the lineup is a joke. Nolan is pretty much a "novice coach" at this point in his career and should be happy as heck he has a job after the way he has comported himself in this league. The GM is the GM is the GM. If the GM says we are making a trade, he's not bound to allow the coach to put valuable assets into an environment in which they might suffer injury before the deal can be consummated. That happens all the time. Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Nolan is lucky that Pegula is, at heart, just a fanboy with visions of past success he believes will create a bright future.

That's why I don't think LaFontaine got fired. I think he tried to pressure Pegula by threatening to resign and Pegula accepted.

According to nhl.com there wasn't a problem in Buffalo with LaFontaine and Murray http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=707266&cmpid=nhl-twt     :ph34r:  :blink:  :ph34r:

Murray said LaFontaine was not consulted on the Miller trade because of LaFontaine's impending departure from the club. But, Murray, who was hired by LaFontaine on Jan. 9, 2014, insisted that there was no disharmony in the front office.

"No, we were on the same page," Murray said. "I was brought in here for the rebuild and we were on the same page with that. I've been here for six weeks and probably on the road for four of those scouting. Every phone call I got concerning trades was relayed to Pat. There was never any indication that we weren't on the same page."

Every time I worked for an autocratic boss, I shut my mouth. Waited for an opportunity to stick it to them.

What a shame, huh Block?  More employers should exercise the ol' "don't do anything to anybody you would not want done to yourself" type of rule. Some really good workers get shafted at my work, harassed for no good reason and it's heartbreaking to watch. One Supervisor has been crawling down a co-worker cause he asked somebody else to play net for him instead of his Supervisor on his beer league team.....lol, so the guy is out to get him now...how petty, how childish. I realize it's tricky middle ground kinda thing when it comes to discipline, cause there is a lot of drifting unmotivated people that need a good kick in the ass once and a while, just sad to see good solid workers get worked over for no good reason.

My self, I've trained myself to give my employers a great bang for their buck, I never stop working....and have refined the art of discussing hockey and sports while I am moving and working. They put food on my table, so I give them stuff back to show my thanks....amazing concept, huh?

Right now I have to blame LaFontaine for being a baby about this

I heard speculation today that he was actually fired.  Guess we'll never know what really happened.

I heard speculation today that he was actually fired.  Guess we'll never know what really happened.

It'll come out eventually - nothing stays a secret.

I'm sticking by my thought that he threatened to resign and Pegula accepted.

Yeah,  me too.  You sleep well at night knowing you did your best. 

It goes a bit deeper than that...if I don't do my best, it affects my time off, and makes me ponder on how I could have done better, how I could have used my time better....and I hate taking things like that home, so I got to know myself enough to know....just give a good effort or I will be second guessing myself and not fully enjoying my days off....lol, sounds corny, but oh so true!!