Bryz goes Wild

brelic

Bryzgalov had success in a defense first system in Phoenix. Hasn't had a good defense in front of him since. This may actually work out for the Wild, as strange as that may sound.

of course ... it isn't the goalie's job to stop the puck.

of course ... it isn't the goalie's job to stop the puck.

Interesting thing is... this got me looking more closely to his numbers.  Three of his four seasons in Phoenix he had save percentages above .920... which is pretty darn good.   He posted a 42-20 campaign with a 2.29 GAA and .920 save % two seasons before Holmgren paid him the big bucks.  

So the question is.. he was much more successful in Phoenix than Philly, but his GAA was the same in Philly with a worse save %.  So he was facing fewer shots it looks but giving up roughly the same per game.  Was it quality of scoring chances?  What else explains that?  Was his mind slipping into oblivion?  

I won't argue Bryzgalov is a wackjob...  I think that's evident to everyone.  But if he wasn't a product of a tighter defensive system in Phoenix, why was he more successful there?  Do you think it was the system or something else?  

Edited by Polaris922

It might not be the worst move ever. He hasn't been THAT bad this year, and their is a lot of difference between the two Schultz's and Suter in front of him. Best defense he has had in front of him since his days in Anaheim.

Okay never mind. He sucks. Just kidding.

Not crazy about this move myself, guys, but that said, Bryz is in Minnesota strictly as a backup and insurance should new number one Darcy Kuemper falter at any point.

Granted, the Wild are in DEEP trouble if Kuemper does falter because winning any kind of playoff series relying on Bryz to backstop you is a crapshoot of the highest order...but still...

As was mentioned, Minnesota does sports a tighter defense than the one had had in Edmonton for sure and even better than the one he had in front of him in Philly.

Yes, his job is to stop pucks and ultimately that is his biggest downfall, but it sure helps if you have D-men who can play, you know, actual D....like he had with the Yotes.

On top of all that, news came out today that Niklas Backstrom is done for the season as he will have work done to repair an abdominal injury he had been dealing with for a while now.

Whether or not Bryz is the type of goalie one would want on their team or not, the Wild FO was more comfortable going into a stretch run with a veteran like him, who is CAPABLE of some very good games at the NHL level, as opposed to some AHL'er or someone else's backup who probably would have cost the Wild a ton more than a 4th rounder.

Word in the Twin Cities is that they like Darcy Kuemper, he has played in such a way that he inspires confidence in the front office that they probably have found their long term number one, and he has made huge improvements in his ability to anticipate and read plays in order to set himself up in the best possible position to stop pucks....plus, I've seen the guy come right out of his net to challenge incoming shooters with great success.

Even if Backstrom remained relatively healthy, as long as Kuemper continues to play like he is, there was no guarantee Backs was going to get his starting job back anyways.

Hey, as long as Bryz can keep the sideshow stuff to a minimum and just play decently whenever he is called into duty during the Wild's stretch run, he shouldn't be a problem.

Come the post season, barring a major meltdown by Kuemper, Darcy will be the number one as he has been the last month or so....and come the off season, the Wild can then re-examine their options in goal and what to do about Kuemper/Bryz/Backstrom/Harding.

Again, not what I would have liked to have seen out of the Wild this trade deadline, but hey, if Bryz is pressed into regular service, it means Kuemper has failed, the defense has failed, and the Wild were going to be in big trouble anyways....so better to be in trouble with a guy who cost next to nothing as opposed to trading off useful players for an expensive backup who would have fared no better with the team.

Go Wild!

• Like 1

@Polaris922 I think Bryz's strong numbers in Phoenix was a direct result of Tippet's tight checking defensive system. Same reason why Boucher was decent there....and the reason why Mr.Average aka Mike Smith has respectable numbers as well.

That's my thinking as well. The Wild has a fairly tight defensive style too, but @hf101 seemed to disagree which is why I asked.

@Polaris922

I'm not disagreeing that Bryz might be ok in with a defensive team like the Wild.  I just don't like Bryz's ability to win the 1-0 or 2-1 games.  Or better yet, I just don't like Bryz

Hopefully he doesn't get many games to prove me wrong.  ;)

I do however understand why the Wild looked to trade for a cheap backup.  

@Polaris922

I'm not disagreeing that Bryz might be ok in with a defensive team like the Wild. I just don't like Bryz's ability to win the 1-0 or 2-1 games. Or better yet, I just don't like Bryz

Hopefully he doesn't get many games to prove me wrong. ;)

I do however understand why the Wild looked to trade for a cheap backup.

And there I took your seriously and thought I'd missed something! Lol.

Edited by Polaris922