Luongo traded to Panthers; Markstrom goes to 'Nucks

brelic

the nuck are screwed, their gm is worse than homer, lost 2 top flight net minders, going to lose kesler and prolly elder. the organization handled lungo horribly. I would not be surpirsed if the sedin twins leve the nest in the future. John Torts will be fired and Lavy will be the coach next yr bank on it

Ignoring the money portion of the deal and strictly concentrating on the players involved the Panthers got the better end of the deal. Markstrom has been a prospect for what seems to be forever and he has not been able to beat out the likes of Tim Thomas and Scott Clemmenson, so he has to be considered more suspect than anything at this point. Mathias, same thing, he has been there forever, came over from the Wings for Bertuzzi and plays up and down the lineup and has had at best mixed levels of success.

Luongo is 35 and wont survive the length of his ridiculous contract but talent for talent he is easily the best player involved in this deal, not even close. What it does for the Canucks is it frees up salary and gives the team a chance to reboot.

the nuck are screwed, their gm is worse than homer, lost 2 top flight net minders, going to lose kesler and prolly elder. the organization handled lungo horribly. I would not be surpirsed if the sedin twins leve the nest in the future. John Torts will be fired and Lavy will be the coach next yr bank on it

The Sedin's just resigned new contracts this year, I believe five year extentions but it fits in what you are saying about the organization falling apart, both the Sedin's are showing signs of aging badly. Your right, just a bad organization at this point.

I posted this in the "Roberto Luongo Saga" thread also.

I'm a little dumbfounded on this trade. Eddie Lack is not a NHL starting goalie IMHO. Markstrom played down here for the better part of the last 2 1/2 years. I was not impressed. In fact, I was telling some people that he needs some time in the ECHL because of how bad he was playing. I can understand Vancouver wanted to dump that salary but then they should have held on to Schneider.

I posted this in the "Roberto Luongo Saga" thread also.

I'm a little dumbfounded on this trade. Eddie Lack is not a NHL starting goalie IMHO. Markstrom played down here for the better part of the last 2 1/2 years. I was not impressed. In fact, I was telling some people that he needs some time in the ECHL because of how bad he was playing. I can understand Vancouver wanted to dump that salary but then they should have held on to Schneider.

THAT is the problem, not keeping Schneider was the worst move of the offseason. I know a lot of people are saying they did well getting Bo Horvat for him but IMHO Lack is a brittle suspect more than a prospect and Joacim Eriksson might be a good NHL goalie some day but has done nothing to make you think so so far. And Markstrom has just been plain bad. The Panthers have some decent blue liners and he hasn't been able to do anything, the Canucks are spiraling out of control, I think he is out of the frying pan, into the fire.

What it does for the Canucks is it frees up salary and gives the team a chance to reboot.

I kinda get the feeling that's what going on with the Canucks. I mean, you move Schneider because you screwed up, then you finally move Luongo, and there are rumours that you will trade Kesler and Edler? 

The Sedins are 33 and will trend downward. 

The Luongo contract was so bad that if you get a chance to move it, you do it. Vancouver is not a contender anymore; their window has closed for now.

• Like 1

Sooooo, under the rules of the new CBA, Luongo has 7 years left on his deal, if he was to retire after say 3 more years, the Canucks would be on the hook for the final 4 years of his cap hit....correct?  Ha ha...the Canucks are gonna get SCREWED real badly, this is a bunk rule! Imagine paying a 6 mill cap hit for 4 years and the guy is sitting at home watching the games??  This has to be changed, if for no other reason than Homer having possible exploding cap hits spread all over the league in a few years....wow, this sucks.

@Polaris922  Would suck if the GM got fired and the new GM had to deal with it, penalized for the deeds of his predecessor, guess we will see a lot of that in the future. Maybe some guys don't even take GM jobs in certain cities with they are in over their head in retired player cap hits.

@Polaris922  Would suck if the GM got fired and the new GM had to deal with it, penalized for the deeds of his predecessor, guess we will see a lot of that in the future. Maybe some guys don't even take GM jobs in certain cities with they are in over their head in retired player cap hits.

Tell you what...  you pay me $2 million a year to be the GM and I'll even take over Holmgren's mistakes and fix them.  ;)   Honestly bud, when you sign your name on the line to get a paycheck you do so knowing you have to absorb whatever your predecessor did to screw things up in the first place.  If he hadn't made a mess, you wouldn't be replacing him.  

Sooooo, under the rules of the new CBA, Luongo has 7 years left on his deal, if he was to retire after say 3 more years, the Canucks would be on the hook for the final 4 years of his cap hit....correct?  Ha ha...the Canucks are gonna get SCREWED real badly, this is a bunk rule! Imagine paying a 6 mill cap hit for 4 years and the guy is sitting at home watching the games??  This has to be changed, if for no other reason than Homer having possible exploding cap hits spread all over the league in a few years....wow, this sucks.

Capgeek has an article on this. Bottom line, it would not be the full cap hit, but in the last year (2021) it would be pretty close to it ($7.9M).

http://www.capgeek.com/news/roberto-luongo-cap-advantage-recapture

Capgeek has an article on this. Bottom line, it would not be the full cap hit, but in the last year (2021) it would be pretty close to it ($7.9M).

http://www.capgeek.com/news/roberto-luongo-cap-advantage-recapture

It's cute how they expect the NHL to aggressively enforce their rules the way they are written.

Adorable, really.

:ph34r:

• Like 1