Rangers Falter After Trading Captain

3 points for st louise in 8 games for the rangers. A mess is right. 

They effectively gutted the leadership of that team. How do you explain to the locker room that you dealt your captain away in the middle of a playoff push?

At least Tampa - who has also swooned a bit since the deadline - was going to get a Stamkos back in their lineup.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger MSL fan than I, but that deal never made any sense to me. He simply couldn't have the impact that Callahan did for the team. Callahan was a career-Ranger. St. Louis is a hired gun.

• Like 1

The Rangers management told their team that having their leader for the playoffs wasn't anywhere near as important as making sure they got some value for him before free agency. That was a colossal mistake.

Dubinsky , Prust, Callahan.  i liked all those guys, and hated they played for NY.

those are heart and soul guys that no longer play for the blue shirts.  no damn wonder they're having issues.

• Like 2

Dubinsky , Prust, Callahan.  i liked all those guys, and hated they played for NY.

those are heart and soul guys that no longer play for the blue shirts.  no damn wonder they're having issues.

Exactly. You take the guts out of the team, it isn't going to go well.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger MSL fan than I, but that deal never made any sense to me.

Yeah. I really like Yzerman (both as a player and a hockey executive), but I think he really screwed the pooch on the St Louis thing. There has to be a back story there (even prior to the Olympics selection committee fiasco). 

I think both teams hurt themselves. Both are sub-.500 since the trade. 

Edited by Vanflyer

Yeah. I really like Yzerman (both as a player and a hockey executive), but I think he really screwed the pooch on the St Louis thing. There has to be a back story there (even prior to the Olympics selection committee fiasco). 

I mentioned in the "Hart" thread....Jonathan Drouin will make fans quickly forget about MSL. (no offence intended Rad) It may take him a year, but that kid has very sick hands and is an excellent passer.

I'm almost absolutely certain there's more to it than an "Olympic snub." I just don't think MSL appreciates Yzerman's approach. The VLC buyout may have also been a factor. Just seemed like the relationship soured.

I mentioned in the "Hart" thread....Jonathan Drouin will make fans quickly forget about MSL. (no offence intended Rad) It may take him a year, but that kid has very sick hands and is an excellent passer.

Whether they forget about their Cup-winning playoff hero is besides the point. Tampa made out like bandits in that deal. Rangers got absolutely fleeced.

I'm almost absolutely certain there's more to it than an "Olympic snub." I just don't think MSL appreciates Yzerman's approach. The VLC buyout may have also been a factor. Just seemed like the relationship soured.

Whether they forget about their Cup-winning playoff hero is besides the point. Tampa made out like bandits in that deal. Rangers got absolutely fleeced.

I think we disagree to disagree on this one.