Re-Signing MacDonald

Vanflyer

I'm with whoever said $4.5 tops (I think it was rad). And by tops I mean I'm trying my damnedest not to pay that much.

Yep. You start at the same deal the Isles gave him - maybe less - and see where it goes.

Homer, of course, starts with his "final" offer and then goes up from there. :ph34r:

Yep. You start at the same deal the Isles gave him - maybe less - and see where it goes.

Homer, of course, starts with his "final" offer and then goes up from there. :ph34r:

What exactly did the Isles offer him? I don't remember all of the terms other than it being in the neighborhood of $4mil. I like him, but I also think he's a 2nd pairing guy and am not willing to pay more than a certain amount for that. He's a good B-level player imo, but he doesn't get more than that $4 range unless he starts putting up better numbers. Good player (so far), but not worthy of insane money.

What exactly did the Isles offer him? I don't remember all of the terms other than it being in the neighborhood of $4mil. I like him, but I also think he's a 2nd pairing guy and am not willing to pay more than a certain amount for that. He's a good B-level player imo, but he doesn't get more than that $4 range unless he starts putting up better numbers. Good player (so far), but not worthy of insane money.

4Y/$16M

Which to me is what he's worth. His bonus is getting off the Isle and onto an up and coming team.

I pray to the gods he turned that down because it was from the Isles, because if he gets much more than that from the Flyers Imma gonna be pissed.

The general impression is that he wanted off the Island. He should be happy as heck to be in Philly.

So, Homer's firing up the 7 year, $35M, NMC contract offer to start negotiations. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Maybe I am wrong but I am not seeing the McDonald that played against us when  he was with the Isles. Is it as mome pointed out the wrong pairing the wrong side of the ice? He i a big league r and should be able to adjust. JMHO

Maybe I am wrong but I am not seeing the McDonald that played against us when  he was with the Isles. Is it as mome pointed out the wrong pairing the wrong side of the ice? He i a big league r and should be able to adjust. JMHO

Looking at his splits this season he had one PP assist in four games against the Flyers and was -5.

Primarily asking what it was you saw in him with the Isles you don't see now?

Has he been tried on the right side? I have only seen him on the left. Just curious if there's a reason why Berube wouldn't just swap Schenn and MacD so that the better left-handed shot can be on the right side.

Looking at his splits this season he had one PP assist in four games against the Flyers and was -5.

Primarily asking what it was you saw in him with the Isles you don't see now?

I guess I did not see what I thought? I never question your take on things. thanks

I guess I did not see what I thought? I never question your take on things. thanks

I was seriously asking what about his play on the Island (which I didn't see any non-Flyer related games) and your opinion of it if you'd seen more than I. Your post didn't really indicate to me if you thought his play against the Flyers was a good or a bad thing.

MacDonald does seem to be a guy that, statistically, may not look like gangbusters, but - watching him - it's rare that you see him in a "bad play." There was a link earlier in the thread that showed a "highlight reel" from his early days with the Flyers but, honestly, there are reels you can put together like that on many defensemen in this league. 

• 2 months later...

I was seriously asking what about his play on the Island (which I didn't see any non-Flyer related games) and your opinion of it if you'd seen more than I. Your post didn't really indicate to me if you thought his play against the Flyers was a good or a bad thing.

MacDonald does seem to be a guy that, statistically, may not look like gangbusters, but - watching him - it's rare that you see him in a "bad play." There was a link earlier in the thread that showed a "highlight reel" from his early days with the Flyers but, honestly, there are reels you can put together like that on many defensemen in this league. 

Just some perspective on said player....tae from it what you will... it particularly enjoyed this tidbit from Tippett:

Dave Tippet had some great comments in the past about defenseman, and it fits MacDonald like a glove.

We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman.

He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck.

Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end.

He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way.
I ended up trading the other defenseman

So gulp 6 more years....thank God he doesn't have a NTC or NMC.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2014/6/7/5748412/andrew-macdonald-analysis-review-grade-flyers

Edited by OccamsRazor