Ryan Malone arrested

Samifan

@Samifan

Ya, I heard he was up to about 250 lbs this year. Wasn't sure if he was injured or just gave up on conditioning....sounds like the latter.

250lbs, wasn't that Mike York's playing wieght when he played for the Flyers?  :P

It's a shame. I always figure hockey players are kinda more upstanding than those of NFL or NBA. We don't hear things like this often from the NHL. Just goes to show visas can effect anyone anywhere. I just hope he does his time and punishment (and loses some weight) and comes back and maybe even talks to kids about keeping track of where your life is headed...

This will probably stamp  "The End" to his deteriorated NHL career.  According to Tampa Times since last June Malone had 7 traffic violations and was driving on a suspended license.  I can't imagine the Lightining organization will allow Malone to spend any further time with the team.

Was Malone even playing anymore?

edit- ok he was.

Yea....he has been relegated to 4th line duty when he has played.  I had wanted the Bolts to trade him last season, but his injury proneness and his dipping skills probably made that impossible.

I backed off wanting him gone a bit this year as I thought, "Hey, he found himself a good role on the 4th line with Thompson and Crombeen", because he does a bring a toughness to the lines that not many on the Bolts outside of Gudas brings, but after this debacle now, I clearly see he is more hindrance than help to the team....and yea, his skillset will only continue to get worse from the looks of it

This will probably stamp  "The End" to his deteriorated NHL career.  According to Tampa Times since last June Malone had 7 traffic violations and was driving on a suspended license.  I can't imagine the Lightining organization will allow Malone to spend any further time with the team.

This.

Even though, as I mentioned, he does bring a certain element to the team (a combo of skills and toughness) that isn't prevalent, the skills ARE going down the drain, he is very slow of foot these days, and well, the Bolts do have some guys in the minors who may not have the skills of a Malone in his prime, but can certainly bring the attitude (Paquette, LaBrie, and Angelidis come to mind right away)...plus, if guys already on the team like Alex Killorn and Richard Panik can play that gritty style while still maintaining their skill play, it will all but make a Ryan Malone completely unnecessary on the team.

These charges are serious, along with whatever else has gone on with the guy, and I too suspect Stevie Y and the TB organization will soon say "enough already".

Wouldn't surprise me if TB ate the remaining $5mil owed on his contract and just moved on.

Cedric Paquette made his NHL debut yesterday, and although only 20, seems to be able to do what Ryan Malone was doing....without the drugs and other baggage.