Kimmo 2014-2015?

Samifan

Capgeek is down at the moment, but last I looked, the Flyers had 5-6 million in space, with a projected cap of $71 million, and 17 players signed.  That does not include re-signing B Schenn.  SO...do you re-sign a promising young center, or re-sign a 40 yr old Dman.  To me, that's what it comes down to.  You can't sign both players, there isn't enough cap space.  

Now if they move someone, that's a different story....but who are they trading?  Realistically?  Moving Grossman and/or L Schenn may happen, but TBH, I think that weakens the blueline, especially if the L Schenn of late continues.  

Kimmo is a warrior, I will always defend him/his play/his work ethic.  I'm just not sure he fits next year.  

A lot IMO depends on how they do in this playoff. If they make a lot of noise and seem poised to make a "next step" I can certainly see Timonen wanting to come back and the Flyers not wanting to fill that rather large hole immediately.

I agree with everything you wrote. The team wants to win and the ownership wants to win. Jettison Grossman and his 3.5 and keep Timmo for 2.5 - 3M if he still wants to play. Call it a net game. Thats no disrespect to Grossman. But, as I am not writing the checks, I view Timmo in the same light as Desjardin. Most of us don't know what goes on behind the doors and he has been a warrior in that regard. 

wow I don't know... I think Grossmann is under-appreciated around here. He helps set the tone the Flyers live by, that physical style the Flyers play. Without him the D is pretty thin isn't it? As far as porch-clearing, big, tough guys. LSchenn....? Okay, when he remembers what his job is. When he's doing his impression of a forward he's useless (and dangerous).

I'm not trying to over-value the guy but I think losing Grossmann leaves a big hole. He's part of the team personality and he'd have to be replaced by somebody similar if the Flyers want to continue being the "tough, hitting, forechecking" type of team.

Capgeek is down at the moment, but last I looked, the Flyers had 5-6 million in space, with a projected cap of $71 million, and 17 players signed.  That does not include re-signing B Schenn.  SO...do you re-sign a promising young center, or re-sign a 40 yr old Dman.  To me, that's what it comes down to.  You can't sign both players, there isn't enough cap space.  

Now if they move someone, that's a different story....but who are they trading?  Realistically?  Moving Grossman and/or L Schenn may happen, but TBH, I think that weakens the blueline, especially if the L Schenn of late continues.  

Kimmo is a warrior, I will always defend him/his play/his work ethic.  I'm just not sure he fits next year.  

Working through NHLnumbers (capgeek's been AWOL since at least yesterday), I'm showing 17 players signed for $64.5M - including Pronger (in the cap total)

I can see Schenn getting a two-year deal at something a little more than, say, Couturier (just because - offense) in the $2-$2.5M range? For the purposes of this exercise, put Timonen on at $4m. Pencil in Scott Laughton at $925K. Qualify Gus at $1M. You're at $72.696 before LTIR and $67.775M after. To sign a backup goalie and depth on the forward/blue lines.

If Ghost/Hagg/etc. emerge in camp - you're in even better shape.

I think Grossmann is under-appreciated around here. He helps set the tone the Flyers live by, that physical style the Flyers play.

I really agree with this. I really like him- particularly his physical play.  

I really agree with this. I really like him- particularly his physical play.

The problem is, that's about it with him. The new NHL requires speed and maneuverability. Watching Grossmann skate is like watching a battleship try a three point turn.

The problem is, that's about it with him.

You're forgetting that he's a leader (top 10) in blocked shots. On top of that he manages to stay healthy and play full seasons.

Grossmann is big and slow. He hits hard. I don't recall any goals due to his lack of foot speed (other than the bad stretch of games he had in Feb i think).

His lack of speed would be exploited if he didn't play within himself. But Grossmann plays smart. He hardly ever gets involved in the offense. He knows what he is, what his strengths and weaknesses are...what his job is*. Add it up - shot-blocking, sound positioning, big hits, calm and accurate on the breakouts - what's not to like?

*If only Luke would get that message.