Kimmo 2014-2015?

Samifan

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20140415_Will_these_playoffs_be_Timonen_s_last_.html

So Kimmo may be interested in playing again next season rather than calling it a nice career. Based on his comments, Holmgren would welcome Kimmo back with open arms provided he doesnt expect another one year/$6 million per contract. Interested in what the group thinks; is Kimmo back as a 3/4 or 5/6 defensemen a good thing? If so, what is the term? I can't see him playing for anything in the $1-2 million range and anything more than that is excessive IMO.

Thoughts?

Edited by Samifan

@Samifan

I'm fine with one more year at a reduced rate. What else is there out there?

The FA market is pretty bleak next season and the Flyers have a short term need in that area.

Timonen for four years, $28M? :ph34r:

Seriously, though, I would go with Timonen at a reduced rate - maybe something crazy like "Andrew MacDonald" money :ph34r:

Dammit, I said "seriously" and then threw the ninja in there anyway... :D

The FA market is pretty bleak next season and the Flyers have a short term need in that area.

Timonen for four years, $28M? :ph34r:

Seriously, though, I would go with Timonen at a reduced rate - maybe something crazy like "Andrew MacDonald" money :ph34r:

Dammit, I said "seriously" and then threw the ninja in there anyway... :D

LOL!!!!   Brilliant!  

Homer said he will have to take less than $6 million so I fully expect a one year/5.9 million contract offer from Homer. Snider will want to reward Kimmo's loyalty to the ORGAN-EYE-ZAY-SHUN  :ph34r:

Edited by Samifan

Homer said he will have to take less than $6 million so I fully expect a one year/5.9 million contract offer from Homer. Snider will want to reward Kimmo's loyalty to the ORGAN-EYE-ZAY-SHUN

I love Kimmo and he is still one of my favorites... witht that being said he is not a 6M dollar player.  Although, Homer is going to have to pay him in the same range (at minimum) as the Islander twins., right?

I love Kimmo and he is still one of my favorites... witht that being said he is not a 6M dollar player.  Although, Homer is going to have to pay him in the same range (at minimum) as the Islander twins., right?

Love Kimmo, he's a warrior but not for more than $2 million next season.

• Like 1

Another thing to potentially read from this is that Kimmo views the Flyers as a team worth coming back to for another year to go for his dream of a Stanley Cup.  Maybe he likes where the team is headed and feels it is worth another shot next year.  I like him at a reduced rate and if he is not blocking a kid who is ready to make the jump and can play the position better than he can.

I think Kimmo knows his role now, and would accept $3M. That's pretty good coin for a 40 year old defenseman who would play on the 2nd pairing. I would love to have him back at that price.

That being said, I'm convinced that either The Bad Schenn or Grossmann are being moved in the offseason. Perhaps, as some have suggested, a Brayden/Luke package deal. 

I think Kimmo knows his role now, and would accept $3M. That's pretty good coin for a 40 year old defenseman who would play on the 2nd pairing. I would love to have him back at that price.

That being said, I'm convinced that either The Bad Schenn or Grossmann are being moved in the offseason. Perhaps, as some have suggested, a Brayden/Luke package deal. 

You know I agree on this... ;)

if Kimmo comes back at 3M I am fine. One of the defensmen on the current 6 are gone before next season.   Schenn, Grossman or Cobie will be packing their bags and moving to another Team.  

I disagree with that  they do cap money won't let them keep all three .

At Timmo's current cap hit .

Kimmo is not going to come back for 6M... the cap is going up so not sure why it would be an issue next year.  Cap wise they are not in terrible shape and could easily afford Kimmo even at 6M (not that he should get it).

*IF* Gost signs he will most likely be playing in the AHL.  

Edited by murraycraven

I disagree with that  they do cap money won't let them keep all three .

At Timmo's current cap hit .

You're assuming Ghost will play for the Flyers. I'd say most likely he goes to the Phantoms. Ghost won't be making much money in any event, so if Timo takes a home town discount there should be enough cap space for Ghost in the unlikely event he makes the Flyers. And there is always the possibility of a trade (Grossman) to clear more space.

Timonen just posted his twelfth consecutive 35+ point season*.

The Flyers just signed a guy who has never, ever scored 30 points for $5M.

What's Timonen's "market value" now?

* 29 in 45 last season.

• Like 1

Schenn, Grossman or Cobie will be packing their bags and moving to another Team

They can't trade Coburn. I would honestly say he was their best defenseman this year. Certainly the best defensive defenseman. Losing him would seriously hurt.

Schenn, Grossman or Cobie will be packing their bags and moving to another Team.  

Really? Why Cobie? I would think that he's pretty much guaranteed to finish out his contract here if only out of loyalty. He does his job quietly, night in and night out. And he's one of the few constants on this team. I wish he would have developed a higher offensive game, but for what he brings, I do like his play.

I wonder what Coburn and AMac would look like together as a first pairing, and Timo/Streit on the 2nd. For next year, of course... this year, it would leave us with Grossmann / Schenn on the 3rd pairing. We'd be wishing to have Vandermeer and Parent back.

They can't trade Coburn

They can surely try even w/ a NMC... I do not want Coburn traded but I think someone is going to go out of those 3.  I still have a feeling that both Schenns are the ones that get traded.

Edited by murraycraven

Really? Why Cobie? I would think that he's pretty much guaranteed to finish out his contract here if only out of loyalty. He does his job quietly, night in and night out. And he's one of the few constants on this team. I wish he would have developed a higher offensive game, but for what he brings, I do like his play.

I wonder what Coburn and AMac would look like together as a first pairing, and Timo/Streit on the 2nd. For next year, of course... this year, it would leave us with Grossmann / Schenn on the 3rd pairing. We'd be wishing to have Vandermeer and Parent back.

You guys are reading too much into it... I was more or less throwing names that could possibly be traded on defense.  I will never again say that someone is favorably viewed by the flyers as untouchable (see #18). 

I do not want Coburn going anywhere.  I am actually a fan and think (like Jack) that he was the best dman on the Team this year.  

The Organization was extremely kind giving him $6 million this last season, I would love to see him return the favor and accept a reduced role (if that's even possible for him) for half that.

They can surely try even w/ a NMC... I do not want Coburn traded but I think someone is going to go out of those 3.  I still have a feeling that both Schenns are the ones that get traded.

I didn't mean that they technically can't, just that they... can't. They need him too much. They should try like hell to trade Grossman. That would be $3.5M off the books. He's good at what he does, he just doesn't do that much. And he seems somewhat injury prone. Get whatever you can for him and call it a day.