Ron Cook Rips Rutherford and Pens Management

hf101

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post Gazzette rips Rutherford and the management of the Penguins staff that they don't have a clue to what they are doing.

Rutherford announced last Thursday that he had found his coach, however Desjardins believed the Vancouver Canucks job is a better one. Thus the Penguins are still searching for the right fit.  They apparently want their next coach to take a short-term deal, perhaps two years.  So who?  Any promising coach would turn and run from a two-year offer from the Penguins. He knows he is being hired by a GM  who has said he doesn't expect to keep his job for more than two or three years.

I have to agree with Cook, the window for success now is becoming increasing more difficult as Crosby, Malkin etc are getting older.  Hiring an inexperienced NHL coach doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

Interesting for sure...

I think the entire process has been a bit odd to tell you the truth.  They fire Shero and then leave DB in limbo and then hire Rutherford - which I am not sure is all that great of a choice.   The whole thing has been odd...

Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post Gazzette rips Rutherford and the management of the Penguins staff that they don't have a clue to what they are doing.

Rutherford announced last Thursday that he had found his coach, however Desjardins believed the Vancouver Canucks job is a better one. Thus the Penguins are still searching for the right fit.  They apparently want their next coach to take a short-term deal, perhaps two years.  So who?  Any promising coach would turn and run from a two-year offer from the Penguins. He knows he is being hired by a GM  who has said he doesn't expect to keep his job for more than two or three years.

I have to agree with Cook, the window for success now is becoming increasing more difficult as Crosby, Malkin etc are getting older.  Hiring an inexperienced NHL coach doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

That's the part I don't get. If you want a coach on a short term deal, why NOT keep Bylsma? It cuts down on the system changes players are going to have to learn, and keeps some continuity. Replacing Bylsma, then replacing your coach in two years again would keep the team in a semi-constant state of upheaval.

That's the part I don't get. If you want a coach on a short term deal, why NOT keep Bylsma? It cuts down on the system changes players are going to have to learn, and keeps some continuity. Replacing Bylsma, then replacing your coach in two years again would keep the team in a semi-constant state of upheaval.

Ya. And besides, that's OUR way.