Mystery Acquisition?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like what Hextall has done so far. People are already looking at this free agency period as a failure because the Flyers' problems didn't get fixed - but they COULDN'T get fixed. Not in one year with the handicaps Hextall was handed. So instead of going crazy signing whoever he could to be the savior, Hextall's taken a calm, measured approach and has addressed depth, rather than top-end talent. It's exactly how I think he should have gone about it. I mean, look at the deals the "top-end" FAs got. Hextall would have been back to being handcuffed in a couple years, even if he somehow manages to shed VLC's or Grossmann's (or anyone else's) salaries.

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong, I actually like what Hextall has done so far. People are already looking at this free agency period as a failure because the Flyers' problems didn't get fixed - but they COULDN'T get fixed. Not in one year with the handicaps Hextall was handed. So instead of going crazy signing whoever he could to be the savior, Hextall's taken a calm, measured approach and has addressed depth, rather than top-end talent. It's exactly how I think he should have gone about it. I mean, look at the deals the "top-end" FAs got. Hextall would have been back to being handcuffed in a couple years, even if he somehow manages to shed VLC's or Grossmann's (or anyone else's) salaries.

^^BINGO^^

Fans will complain no matter what. We finally have a GM taking his time, who seems to have some semblance of a plan and people are complaining? Homer would have gotten into a bidding war for Orpik and he'd be signed to 10 years, $6.5 mil/ year. (jk, i don't think Homer was THAT bad)

DING!  Great post.