Am I the Only One Worried about Goal?

Howie58

I am not worried about goal...

I am worried about dumb, panicky and slow.

for the first time since I don't know when, the Flyers have a decent keeper.  I don't count Bob because he can still Varlomov.  That guy looked all world then came back to earth right quick.

I really want to see a decent wing for G and Jake and want our defense corps to wise up, not act like the puck is a water balloon full of panther pee when it's on their stick and be able to contribute offensively with a well timed pinch or an effective rush.  

Edited by mojo1917

There are valid reasons to be concerned. For example:

Bryzgalov Flyers Y1: 33-16-7, 2.48, .909

Mason Flyers Y1: 33-18-7, 2.50, .917

That record is clearly also related to the team in front of him, and I do believe that the extra .008 in SV% (an important variance in the statistic) is evidence that the "eye test" that many, including myself, believe Mason has passed was correct.

For me, Mason makes the saves that need to be made and also makes some that you can't immediately "expect."

Then it's up to the team in front of him to score goals and win games.

• Like 1

I am not worried about goal...

I am worried about dumb, panicky and slow.

for the first time since I don't know when, the Flyers have a decent keeper.  I don't count Bob because he can still Varlomov.  That guy looked all world then came back to earth right quick.

I really want to see a decent wing for G and Jake and want our defense corps to wise up, not act like the puck is a water balloon full of panther pee when it's on their stick and be able to contribute offensively with a well timed pinch or an effective rush.  

good post mojo and I am in the same boat.   Althopugh, if there is a positive to be taken w/ the Hartnell trade it would be that we will definitely cut down on the "stupid"  with RJ in the lineup.   We definitely need someone on the top line LW that can finish and the defense is still the #1 issue in my mind. 

@Howie58  It's amazing that Bobby Clarke, who played with Bernie Parent, one of the best ever...would *somehow* play through that era and come up with the philosophy that "goaltending is not that important". It's actually mind boggling. The very same philosophy that lead us down the road of Beezer (I'll never forgive him for the sqibbler against the Leafs), Sean Burke.....and all the other countless stiffs. One man's flawed philosophy forced millions of fans into decades of non championships and teases. That is every bit as much of Clarke's legacy as the star center persona. He actually tortured an entire fan base....can't we get money for that....class action or something??  ha ha!

• Like 2

Just wanted to point out that the post above is not exactly my thoughts alone. It's a contemplation of a lot of thoughts I've read on the topic for years. Rad specifally wrote almost the same thing a few years ago....just putting it out there....I'm not plagiarizing.....LOL!

• Like 1

@Flyingswede

Part of me agrees with you....part wants to believe we've ended the goaltending carousel. The difference in Mason compared to a lot of our retreads is that Mason is still young, he's talented and athletic. 

Yes he is young and talent, I guess if he continue we just hooked a talant under the radar. Its just that Esche was talanted, even roman chokemanek was talanted.. I hope Mason is consistent. It would be very good for my heart becouse our golie situation have been frustrating year after years... 

• Like 1

Greetings:

The Inquirer had an article on Stolarz two days ago in which our limited goaltending development was mentioned. We really haven't done a good job there at all.  We will know in 20 games or so whether we had a one season "rebirth" or our goaltender of the future with Mason. But I am very worried about what might happen if he doesn't work out or is injured.

Howie

Howie;

I agree the thought of Emery getting a heavy workload with Stolarz backing him up would assuredly mean a sub-.500 season. But I guess I see that scenario playing out only if Mason gets hurt. I don't think he's necessarily the savior, but what I've seen of him gives me confidence that he's got the makings of a better than average goaltender. As you say, we should know soon enough