Senators may be looking to Trade for a Forward

The Senators are $16 million under the salary cap and are rumored to be looking for an upgrade at the forward position.  Apparently several teams have told the Ottawa Sun that wingers Colin Greening and Eric Condra are both being made available. 

Vinny for Greening or Condra?  I don't think that is enough, Ottawa would need to give up a pick also.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/542186

The Senators are $16 million under the salary cap and are rumored to be looking for an upgrade at the forward position. Apparently several teams have told the Ottawa Sun that wingers Colin Greening and Eric Condra are both being made available.

Vinny for Greening or Condra? I don't think that is enough, Ottawa would need to give up a pick also.

I think Vinny's contract is too handicapping. Salary cap or no there's a term to consider and to give up a pick would have to be a 3rd or 4th rounder... At best. He's just too overpaid.

The Senators are $16 million under the salary cap and are rumored to be looking for an upgrade at the forward position.  Apparently several teams have told the Ottawa Sun that wingers Colin Greening and Eric Condra are both being made available. 

Vinny for Greening or Condra?  I don't think that is enough, Ottawa would need to give up a pick also.

Someone taking vinny with no retention will = also taking a bad deal and giving someone a pick to take that long term salary. Not vice versa unless you are taking a bad contract back

@hf101  Condra and Greening are elite checkers in this league. I don't  anticipate them ever being anything but checkers, but they are very good at what they do. When you factor in Vinny's contract, I don't think the Sens would have to throw anything else in. I don't really see a pressing need for either of these guys, it would force a guy like Raffl out of the line-up, and I want to see more of him, not less.

Didn't Holmgren give Vinny the "Homer Special" when he signed him?  Homer Special: Way over pay, too many years with a full NMC and unlimted supply of tastycakes

Not sure if Vinny has any interest in going to Ottawa, think he wants to play for a "contender".

Not sure if Vinny has any interest in going to Ottawa, think he wants to play for a "contender".

Playing for a non-contender is better than not playing at all. That's a fate that just could be waiting for Vinnie in Philly.....the time may have come for him to re-think his options.

Playing for a non-contender is better than not playing at all. That's a fate that just could be waiting for Vinnie in Philly.....the time may have come for him to re-think his options.

How do you figure?

Sure, you can scratch him. But his cap hit will still be there. Scratching a guy does not always make him open to being traded, and an NMC prevents sending him to the minors. Especially if he wants to control his destination. He has you more handcuffed than you have him. He is getting paid that money regardless of if you scratch him or not and the caphit stays regardless. So since you are right up at the cap, you will not be able to call up even a 4th liner/Entry level contract to replace him without shedding cap space another way.

The sticking point is really, well, that Hex does not want to retain Salary. Not that I blame him. But nobody wants that contract at full price, even if you give him away for free or a 7th round pick. Even the teams who need a center will take other options. The problem is, Lecavalier is barely even a top 6 forward anymore. Teams who are looking for a top 6 forward don't think "Sweet, Lecavalier is available", they look elsewhere for guys making 5 million who will do better. Teams looking for bottom 6 depth don't want to pay 5 millionish for it.

@J0e Th0rnton  Vinny is a proud guy, a few months in the press box and he will be begging for a one way ticket to Winnipeg!!

You can't afford a few months of him in the press box. You are over the cap and would have to call up someone who would put you more over the cap while paying his cap hit too.

Vinny meanwhile can get paid 5 million dollars a year to drink beer and watch the game from the press box. Essentially, if my workplace had to pay me, but wanted to move me to another property which I HATED the idea of due to the work conditions and city, I would sit and get paid until they changed their mind.

Ill go on record now saying there is no way they bench him just to get him to waive. The other factor is, nobody is taking him without retention. Not unless you pay them.

You can't afford a few months of him in the press box. You are over the cap and would have to call up someone who would put you more over the cap while paying his cap hit too.

Not true. The Flyers are not over the cap, and will not be at the start of the season as constituted right now. There are simple paper moves they can make to maximize their cap space and allow them to press box Vinny during the season if they so choose.

Not true. The Flyers are not over the cap, and will not be at the start of the season as constituted right now. There are simple paper moves they can make to maximize their cap space and allow them to press box Vinny during the season if they so choose.

Good luck with that. yes Pronger being still on LTIR will give you a tiny bit of breathing room. But,  A single injury(Injured players still count towards the cap) and you need to call someone else up.

What other moves do you see them making on paper to give you wiggle room?

In any case, the point is moot IMO. Hextall's comments seem to inevitably accept Lecavalier will still be with them playing at the start of the season.

Ill take Avatar bet's with anyone who thinks they will try to bench Lecavalier until he decides to waive. It just is not going to happen.

The likely scenario is eventually, you find another team on Vinny's list with a garbage player they want to dump, and you swap them.

http://www.hockeyforums.net/index.php/topic/62647-how-the-flyers-can-maximize-their-salary-cap-space/

Post 8. Then after opening night, they send down Straka and Ghost, call up Akeson and whomever else they want. It's far from an ideal situation, but it's nowhere near as dire as folks want to make it out to be. And if someone gets injured, they don't need to call anyone up, they can dress one of the guys in the pressbox, say, Rosehill.

It's unlikely that they will, but they absolutely can.